Sticky: 2015 Edge Bulb Size

• 7 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 5:28 PM, NeuroBeaker said:

What are the brightest T20 / 7440 / WY21W front indicator bulbs available without going to LED? I don't have FORScan and am not sure how to go about acquiring and using it. My 2015 Edge Titanium is also still under original warranty and a CPO warranty after that, so I don't want to be messing with too many things other than simple bulb selection.

All the best,

Andrew.

I'm eyeing up these switchback front indicator lights:

GTR Lighting Carbide Series 2.0 7440/7443 LED Bulbs | HR GTR.LED590 (headlightrevolution.com)

From the blurb on the seller's website, it looks like it doesn't require resistors as they're built into the bulb.  Unless I'm missing something, it should be plug and play.  Has anyone tried these or similar?

Alternatively, here's another option that seems to require a resistor:

GTR Lighting Armor Series 7440/7443 LED Bulbs | HR GTR.LED290 (headlightrevolution.com)

And here's what might be the brightest possible option, which can come with in-line plug and play resistors:

The Brightest 7443 LED Turn Signal Bulbs On the Planet | GTR i-LED | HR (headlightrevolution.com)

Not sure what route I want to go, but I'm leaning towards the one that's a simple plug-and-play bulb in the stock housing.  Any recommendations?

All the best,

Andrew.

Edited by NeuroBeaker

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 4:22 PM, NeuroBeaker said:

I'm eyeing up these switchback front indicator lights:

GTR Lighting Carbide Series 2.0 7440/7443 LED Bulbs | HR GTR.LED590 (headlightrevolution.com)

From the blurb on the seller's website, it looks like it doesn't require resistors as they're built into the bulb.  Unless I'm missing something, it should be plug and play.  Has anyone tried these or similar?

Alternatively, here's another option that seems to require a resistor:

GTR Lighting Armor Series 7440/7443 LED Bulbs | HR GTR.LED290 (headlightrevolution.com)

And here's what might be the brightest possible option, which can come with in-line plug and play resistors:

The Brightest 7443 LED Turn Signal Bulbs On the Planet | GTR i-LED | HR (headlightrevolution.com)

Not sure what route I want to go, but I'm leaning towards the one that's a simple plug-and-play bulb in the stock housing.  Any recommendations?

All the best,

Andrew.

Unfortunately, none of these bulbs are compatible. I tried the GTR i-LED and the GTR Lighting Carbide series myself but had to return both items as incompatible with the 2015-2018 Edge. The GTR Lighting Armor series was tried by another of Headlight Revolution's Edge-owning customers (anyone here?) and also proved incompatible.

The issue is that in the Edge the front turn indicator socket is a 7440 with a single live contact and two earth contacts. It lacks a second live contact to make either switchbacks or LEDs with two circuits of bulbs work. The Edge controls the sidelight/indication by varying the voltage and running it through a single filament bulb rather than flipping between two functional circuits. Unfortunately, Headlight Revolution reports that they do not have an LED sidelight/indicator bulb compatible with the 2015-2018 Edge.

All the best,

Andrew.

4 hours ago, NeuroBeaker said:

The issue is that in the Edge the front turn indicator socket is a 7440 with a single live contact and two earth contacts. It lacks a second live contact to make either switchbacks or LEDs with two circuits of bulbs work. The Edge controls the sidelight/indication by varying the voltage and running it through a single filament bulb rather than flipping between two functional circuits. Unfortunately, Headlight Revolution reports that they do not have an LED sidelight/indicator bulb compatible with the 2015-2018 Edge.

Using ForScan you can disable the "park" function and then the bulb will act as a turn signal light only. With an SEL/Titanium/Sport model, you still have the bumper signature lights to act as parking lights when the ignition is on. This way LED turn signals will work. Only issue I found is that the turn signal in the Edge's housing is designed different to most othe vehicles, the bulb is inserted from the bottom up, so the reflector is designed to utilize the glow of the filament from the side, aftermarket LED bulb are designed on the basis they are facing outwards towards were the light is going out of the housing. With an LED bulb inserted in the Edge's housing, it is pointed upwards, so most of the light emitted is not going in the correct direction, hence I find the stock bulb always brighter than replacement LEDs. I have tried 3 different brands and all with the same results.

• Like 2