Sticky: 2015 Edge Bulb Size

Hey guys. I decided to make a sticky post for bulb sizes throughout the Edge & Edge Sport.

Please reply with bulb size/location and I will update post.

2015 EDGE

9005 Low Beam & H15 High Beam/DRL

2015 EDGE SPORT

(A.) Headlight Daytime Driving = H15

(C.) Headlight Hi & Low Beam = D3S

post-35226-0-82547900-1432238290_thumb.jpg

post-35226-0-17047600-1432238522_thumb.jpg

Edited by built2prfctn

This H15 bulb is new to me. It seems that its a dual filament bulb, 55W/15W, designed for the high beam (55W) & DRL (15W).

Image:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gerardleesgp/media/Golf%20VI/P24-03-09_092201.jpg.html

Also, as per the 2015 Owners manual (replacement guide), non HID equipped Edge, has 9005 Low beams & H15 High beam/DRL (edit: Manual states 9005 High Beam for non HID while the H15 DRL seems to be general). For HID equipped Edges, the D3S is used for both Low & High beam (similar to older 2011-14 Edge). Still, the H15 bulb is still present on HID bulbs.

From the above, would the H15 also function as a High Beam for HID equipped vehicles? It might also be used for the "Flash to Pass" function, while regular highs would utilize the HIDs. This would be an area for a mod to allow both, the H15 high & HID to turn on to make for a double high beam setup.

Edited by omar302

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like the owners manual lists different replacement bulbs

DRL H15

Low Beam H11 (non HID)

High Beam 9005 (non HID)

HID D3S

It doesn't sound like the manual is correct since on non HID Edges, the DRL and high beam is shared using the H15 bulb. It's hard to believe that a mistake would be made in an owners manual...

So what is correct??

My 2015 Edge SEL is still being built, otherwise I would pull the bulbs and check. I am looking into aftermarket HIDs for when I get it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Newbie here,

My 2015 Edge SEL non HID has the high beam light bulb 9005, and the Daytime Running Lights are on the H11.

I found the manual to be confusing on this issue

I would like to upgrade the DRL's to LED's is this possible? Does someone make a led bulb replacement for the H11 that is plug and go?

Same for the 9005 High Beam can i plug in a LED 9005 into the slot for the highbeam?

Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

gjb89, you absolutely can do switchbacks. VLED's has a new Gen2.5 system that will allow that - and it's completely plug-in-play. I've installed my old Gen1 V3 amber turns into the 2016 Edge. Getting the headlights out was pretty simple, and you don't have to remove the bumper. The units are very modular and there is a ton of room in and around both headlight units. Also, 7443 bulbs/base adaptors WILL work with 7440 sizes but not the other way around. So, for your project, use 7443. I used 7443 bases for my VLED V3 Triton bulbs and it works just fine.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The OP with the sticky is correct. There appears to be some confusion, as to the differences between the HID and non-HID versions of the inner bulb. This is the H15 on both versions, although they fulfill different functions: On the HID, as mine the HID bulb, performs low/high beam, by means of a motorized mirror (you can hear it when outside the car). Inner H15 performs DRL at a reduced wattage input (and one reason I don't like it, as it literally looks half-baked - in Canada, this is hardwired, and non-configurable).

Now, on non-HID versions, the 9005 (behind the projector lens), is low beam AND DRL (under reduced wattage). H15 performs only high beam functions. So to easily differentiate an HID/non HID, as they approach, the HID will have dimly lit DRL's in the inner reflectors, and the non-HID will have dimly lit projector lenses, as their DRL.

I would like a brighter inner lens glow, and am looking for recommendations, as to a H15 LED alternative, but am unsure of the quality (most seem to be Chinese made).

Edited by Ruby Red Scuba Sled
  • Like 1

The OP with the sticky is correct. There appears to be some confusion, as to the differences between the HID and non-HID versions of the inner bulb. This is the H15 on both versions, although they fulfill different functions: On the HID, as mine the HID bulb, performs low/high beam, by means of a motorized mirror (you can hear it when outside the car). Inner H15 performs DRL at a reduced wattage input (and one reason I don't like it, as it literally looks half-baked - in Canada, this is hardwired, and non-configurable).

Now, on non-HID versions, the 9005 (behind the projector lens), is low beam AND DRL (under reduced wattage). H15 performs only high beam functions. So to easily differentiate an HID/non HID, as they approach, the HID will have dimly lit DRL's in the inner reflectors, and the non-HID will have dimly lit projector lenses, as their DRL.

I would like a brighter inner lens glow, and am looking for recommendations, as to a H15 LED alternative, but am unsure of the quality (most seem to be Chinese made).

I have the iJDMtoy H15 led and it works great. Ive had their bulbs in my past two cars, no issues with any of them. Their not as fancy as Vleds but they get it done.

Link to product

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Audi-BMW-Mercedes-VW-H15-LED-Daytime-Lights-p/40-341.htm

Edited by gjb89
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

got front led switchbacks to work on my 2016, used forscan to disable hyperflash and used my volt meter to figure out somewhere to tap into for powering the whites. Seems to be working fine. I tapped the drivers side DRL so they revert back to amber only at night when the DRLs go off and the HIDs are running. If anyone wants details let me know.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Switch backs will not work in our cars. We utilize the 7440 bulb which is a single filament bulb. If you do use a led turn signal you can use forscan to turn off the bulb out indicator to eliminate the hyper flash instead of using resistors.

What are the brightest T20 / 7440 / WY21W front indicator bulbs available without going to LED? I don't have FORScan and am not sure how to go about acquiring and using it. My 2015 Edge Titanium is also still under original warranty and a CPO warranty after that, so I don't want to be messing with too many things other than simple bulb selection.

All the best,

Andrew.

• 4 months later...

Ok guys. New 18 edge sport owner with HIDs

I posted another thread about replacement DRL led bulbs with no response yet but I have some questions about LED turns.

Reading we cant do switchbacks without tapping into another wire. Dont feel like doing that yet on a brand new car.

Can we do LEDs on the front turns at all? Super bright makes a dual brightness amber thatd Id be comfortable using

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/front-turn-signal-light-bulb/74407443-ck-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3554/9040/?year=2018&make=28&model=735&scc_id=1397

Id need forscan to disable hyper flash? Thats just a simple ODBII connector and an app if I recall. Easy enough.

Anyone swap DRL for LED? I use an H15 and not sure what is a compatible bulb.

• 8 months later...

I have a 2015 Sport with HID headlights and H15 DRL. I tried swapping to LED for the DRL today and they wont turn on. Any suggestions? I understand you need to be out of park with auto lights on to see the lights go on, but nothing on either side. Bulbs tested and work w/battery.

• 1 year later...