Addition of SYNC to 2008 Edge

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere... I have done some searches but really couldn't find a definative answer:

I just purchased a 2008 Edge SEL with the audiophile sound system/premium interrior package... and was curious if anyone knew if SYNC could be installed in my vehicle at my local dealership.

Seems to me like most of the perherphial buttons and hardware is already there... I just don't know if it is even possible or if I'm just out of luck and will have to research some other sort of aftermarket solution...?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Steve

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere... I have done some searches but really couldn't find a definative answer:

I just purchased a 2008 Edge SEL with the audiophile sound system/premium interrior package... and was curious if anyone knew if SYNC could be installed in my vehicle at my local dealership.

Seems to me like most of the perherphial buttons and hardware is already there... I just don't know if it is even possible or if I'm just out of luck and will have to research some other sort of aftermarket solution...?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Steve

Hey Steve...

Not sure if that has been answered yet or not...I know they cannot install SYNC into the 07's, but, I am not sure about the 08's...Hmmm...so I am not a bit of help...

Hopefully someone else will be along shortly to help...I'm sorta bored...so I am catching up on my ford edge forum talk...lol

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the input guys!

I am thinking I'm just going to have to look into some aftermarket MP3 adaptors and bluetooth car kits!

Anyone have any recommendations?

I saw some MP3 kits by Brand Motion and Neo Pro that looked about comprable...

You may want to check out the eclipse AVN6620, it has it all, bluetooth, nav, mp3, sirius, dual dvd outputs for to separate movies at the same time. You won't need sync after this install.

You may want to check out the eclipse AVN6620, it has it all, bluetooth, nav, mp3, sirius, dual dvd outputs for to separate movies at the same time. You won't need sync after this install.

In Canada ... all 08 come with sync ...My Limited AWD w/Nav works great. Up here it's marketed with sync in all units.

Thanks for the input guys!

I am thinking I'm just going to have to look into some aftermarket MP3 adaptors and bluetooth car kits!

Anyone have any recommendations?

I saw some MP3 kits by Brand Motion and Neo Pro that looked about comprable...

I went to my dealership and heard some rumblings that Sync will be released for purchase as an accessory later this year. I can't wait because I want that BT mic mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

What they are saying is true about ading Sync to either a 07 or 08 Ford Edge. There is more than meets the eye with additional wiring to the mirror and a USB port to the center console. Currrently there is no option to add it.

Someone mentioned a mp3 player. Even without the sync you already have that option. The CD player will play mp3 CDs and there is also a pin plug in the center console glovebox where you can plug in any audio to play through the "aux" on the radio. An Ipod output can be plugged into that as well as any audio source. The only difference is that you must select the songs using the Ipod rather than speaking what artist you wish to play into the rear view mirror microphone. All you need is a 1/8th" stereo pin plug cable with the pin plug on both ends. One end into the audio source and one end into the pin plug socket in the glove box is all there is to it. A much better otpion to clear sound than the FM transmitter type add ons.

What I would like to learn probably can not be answered in this forum unless we have some electronics guys who have checked it out. Both radio options for the standard and the GPS Nav system are shown in the SYNC forum, so I know they can both run SYNC and in order to run sync there must be a USB port in the center console glove box. Now, my question would be if there is a cable that can be obtained to just plug in to the radio which is already sync capable that has a plug on one end and a USB port on the other for installation into the glove box. I am quite convinced there is just a cable involved here. If that cable could be accessed it might be quite easy to install Sync. The mic as well might just be a plug in cable. Of course if the mic is a part of the rear view mirror the cable would probably come with it as one unit. Any mic attached to that cable if the correct wiring were done should also work fine and the mic could be mounted elsewhere. I know my radio has media on the steering wheel as well as the radio itself, so the radio is media capable. Sync needs the USB port to program the function into the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

My salesman told me that SYNC will be offered as an add on either very late this year or the first quarter of next year. The current agreement between Ford and Microsoft prevents anyone purchasing SYNC other than a unit that is factory installed. When SYNC is offered on the aftermarket the salesman told me it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of US $600 - 700. I have it on my Edge and I absolutely love it. If it weren't on my vehicle I would definitely consider paying for that upgrade. The handsfree phone is worth it by itself.