Hi, I've never owned a Ford and I'm scared

LUPID

Hi peeps

I'm about 48 hours from purchasing a 2011 Edge Sport with 76,000 miles. It will come with a five year/100,000 mile warranty so I'm not terribly afraid of the high mileage but I am a little bit concerned.

Today was my first drive of a Sport. I was pleasantly surprised. I have one more test drive scheduled Thursday. On my drive today on the highway at 60 miles an hour there was a definite rattling in what sounded like the right front wheel well. The salesman tried to tell me it was asphalt shooting off the ground into the wheel well, but it continued for several miles and only from the single tire.

Is there anything specific I should look for in a Sport of this year and mileage?

The 22" wheels have been known to have problems, so insist on having that wheel/tire combo carefully looked at. If everything looks OK, have it moved to the passenger side so it is still a drive wheel. Could be a loose lug nut as well. Even dealers over/under torque these things, under torquing will make you loose a wheel/wheel studs over time, while overtorquing will warp the rotors.

Check the fender liner as well. It may have come loose if it was opened, for instance, to replace a fog light bulb.

Thanks for the info guys. Other than the rattle in the wheel well there are no obvious problems with the car. Well, in the trunk area the left seat recline button doesn't make the seat recline. The right button works fine, but when you press the left button nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a little backstory on the tires/wheels The dealer showed me the car with the Ford 22 inch rims. When it arrived in Denver a week later there were different rims on it that were much cheaper. It did have brand-new Perelli tires on it though. They offered me two free car washes in exchange for the difference. Seriously.

I think I want to sell the 22 inch rims anyway and get police interceptor type wheels instead in the 18 to 20 inch size.

I'm going to negotiate for more compensation for the rim difference. I'll follow up and let you know how it goes.

...carmax

Yeah, two free car washes. What a joke. they are trading the services they cost them almost nothing. The salesperson said in all his years of working here he's never seen an issue like mine where the tires were swapped for delivery. You would think the compensation would reflect that.

...carmax

The sales guy said in all his years of experience he's never seen wheels swapped before the delivery could be completed. You would think the compensation would match accordingly.

When they swapped out the new rims shouldn't they have moved the TPMS sensors as well? The salesman says when he goes into the sport menu there is no tire pressure display. Does this sound right to you? He said it only gives you a low pressure warning and tells you which tire, not the exact PSI.

That is correct. The TPMS system (at least on the Edge from Ford) will not tell you PSI. Might be able to with aftermarket software like Torque Pro, but not OEM function and not in the OEM dash displays.

Those must be some EXPENSIVE car washes! Since they swapped wheels, very likely did not re-torque correctly. Also make sure they trained the TPMS for the "new" wheels.

So, I called car max back and explained my position. I asked them for four oil change is instead of two and after much internal conflict in their office they agreed. While it's not truley equal compensation, making them renegotiate makes me feel better.

Here's a couple of pics of the substituted wheels.

http://m.imgur.com/YHgGjfF,hkonUqT

Tirerack has the Advanti PO Prodigo's listed at 22x8.5 as "oem" size, as well as 265/40/22 for tire size. If both of these match, you are in business.

Front and Rear

http://www.carid.com/advanti-wheels/prodigo-black-machined-914208.html

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&wheelMake=Advanti+Racing&wheelModel=PO+Prodigo&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge+Sport&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=AWD

The tires look like they are pretty wide. Should look more like this?

2011-Ford-Edge-Sport-White.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I've used the search function to no avail. I'm trying to find details on wheel/tire size for a steel, police interceptor style set up. I'm thinking 18 or 20 inch, but tire rack has nothing like it.

Mainly, I fear replacing the 22in tires in the winter. Selection and cost scare me away, as well as the Denver streets. We got MAD potholes, so repairing nice wheels isn't something I wanna do.

Any info/links/suggestions are greatly appreciated