Tire noise???????????????????

When I purchased my 2013 Edge SE on May 27, 2015 I didn't notice what seems like a tire noise. The next day when I took my extra set of keys for my trade back. I mentioned it to the sales person. He took it to service and he and a service guy took it for a ride. They said it was tire feathering and would go away shortly. The car did have two new tires in the front little older ones on the rear. But it's been about 700 miles and I still have the noise. It sounds like tire with lugs kinda of a wheer, wheer, wheer. The sound dosen't change with the road surface. You can start to hear it at about 15mph to 65mph. I'm beginning to think it's a wheel bearing? Anything else it might be?

Edited by Redbow

Are all 4 tires the same make & model & spec? How much difference in mileage/tread depth? Checked the tread carefully for embedded foreign objects? Is the noise only from the front, only from the back, or both?

It's usually very difficult to isolate tire noise without moving them around the vehicle, or swapping in new tires.

If it is a wheel bearing, it should increase as you turn in one direction vs another.

OK. the tires are Kelley Edge(235/65R17) on the front, Hankook Dynapro AS(P235/65R17). Have no idea as to the mileage on either pair. The Edge is a 2013 SE with 52,900 miles. As far as ware the Hankook's seem to have a slight rounding on the inside of the tread. But no apparent dishing or cupping and I see no tread seperation either. Tread is comparable on both sets without enough difference to be visible. There is no vibration, pulling, or any other distraction. Car drives and handles beautifully except for that D*** noise.

Burke

Funny you mention the Hancooks (cheapest noisest tire on the market, with the exception of cheap snow tires) I have Hancook dynapros and they are horrible the only reason I have them is this is what the previous owners put on it. They have poor traction, noisest sound rating and drive like dump truck tires. As soon as mine are worn out I am going with the tried and true Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422's and I recommend these also. I have been through three sets and always a good grip in the rain and very quiet tires with a smooth ride. Your other isssue is of course the kelly tires and I am betting they are Crap also. You get what you pay for and noise is the exchange for low price. Change the tires to good tires and the noise will go away.

OK. the tires are Kelley Edge(235/65R17) on the front, Hankook Dynapro AS(P235/65R17). Have no idea as to the mileage on either pair. The Edge is a 2013 SE with 52,900 miles. As far as ware the Hankook's seem to have a slight rounding on the inside of the tread. But no apparent dishing or cupping and I see no tread seperation either. Tread is comparable on both sets without enough difference to be visible. There is no vibration, pulling, or any other distraction. Car drives and handles beautifully except for that D*** noise.

Burke

The Ecopias are near top of class CUV tires. The Kelly/Hankook models mentioned are "general purpose/economy class" tires. There are obvious traction and handling issues with having two different tire types on the same vehicle, even if they are the same class (all seasons in this case).

Tire replacement may indeed solve the problem. You could have them rotated, see if anything changes. But since there is no other indication of anything definitively wrong with the tires (caused by the tires), it is worthwhile looking at bearings (or shocks). If the sound is coming from the front, does it become worse when you turn the wheels one direction vs another?

• Like 1

Friend has a 2012 SEL that does the exact same thing. He purchased it with 24,000 miles on it and I was surprised the tires were so worn. Been to the dealership three times and even took it to some tire place. Dealership put two new tires on the back but the noise is still there to this day. Car now has 52,000 on it and drives perfect and he just lives with the noise. I keep telling him to get it back to the dealership before his extended warranty runs out.

I've tried everything to determine where the noise is coming from, front or back. I sometimes think it's the front then I change my mind. I've tried turning one way then the other slowly, then quickly. Nothing changes. I looked into the Bridgestone's mentioned above. $784.95 @ Discount out the door. I'm very seriously considering that. Being almost 83 years old and only driving about 5/8K a year. They would probably be the last set I very buy. I've been good and deserve a quite ride don't you think?

• Like 3

We want you to enjoy the Edge for a LONG time yet, Redbow! My dad would have turned 83 next year, and I wouldn't think twice about getting him the Ecopias if he were driving an Edge.

There are quite a few good tires out there. If that price is an installed price with protection/balancing/alignment, that is very good! Though the pricing sometimes gets better when sales come up. No real sales out there right now :(

What kind of weather do you normally get, Redbow? Just curious.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I would suggest milking the tires out for the rest of the summer/fall then replacing them with the Ecopias prior to the first snow fall. They are rate pretty good for snow also and with them being new your traction will be the best it could be since they would be new tires. Also check with your ford dealer as they have deals that they say will match and also discount any tire stores prices (at least in my area they have this) Give them a shot also to see if you can get a better deal.

WWWPerfA_ZNOW, I live in Northeast Texas and you have to ask what kink of weather?lol. All joking aside, yesterday was the first official 100 degree day this year. Had six straight days at 99 before that. We have been in a drought for the past several years until May this year. Got over 36 inches in May, which is our annual rain fall. Snow? usuall only get one or two days that interfer with travel. Tire price was out the door with everything included.

macwt, Would probably have to wait until February for the first snow. Am going to check with Ford and a couple other dealers here in Greenville before I buy. The Bridgestones look to be pretty highly thought of, But are there other brands that compare for quiteness, softness, ware, and price?

Burke

Yeah, I know, but I had to ask LOL!!! Global warming :rant2:

Here's a great comparison of tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=245%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Edge+SEL&autoModClar=AWD

You could also consider the Yokohama YK580, Yokohama Parada Spec-X, and Nitto tires (from my personal experience) when shopping tires.

As my Grandmother used to say "We will always be YOUNG, unless we change our name". That being said, I did a lot of tire shopping yesterday. Found two tire comparison listings. And noticed that on both listings the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus was second. Just behind Michelin Premier LTX on one list and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde on the other list. Dueler H/L 442 came in fourth on one list and twelveth on the other. So I got an on-line quote from Discount and went to Ford for a comparison. Ford was $30 cheaper than Discount's $784.95 on the 442s. Discount on the Alenza Plus was $694.02 And Ford did not beat that but they did match it. So tomorrow I will have new shoes on the Edge. I guess I'll then have to go back to my daily routine of playing on the computer, reading forum notes and waiting until after 4:00 PM to have my toddy. Darn life is tough when your old and retired.

Burke

Edited by Redbow
  • Like 1