Temperature gauge erratic/AC does not work right

edgemaster

Hi,

My wife's 2007 Edge acts up. The AC seems to work only at times and the temp gauge shows all kinds of temperatures.

I had it tested and the egine temp is okay, there's enough coolant in the system, everything seems to be fine.

Could it be some kind of sensor? Shouldn't the engine check light come on? Or are there failure codes stored inside the OBDII system without that light coming on?

Where should I start searching?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

That's the normal procedure, assuming it's actually overheating when that happens. Is the temp gauge showing hot when that happens or is it going up and down erratically? If it's just going to hot then I'd say the fans need to be replaced. If it's doing strange things then maybe it's something else and the fan not turning on is a symptom of something else like a bad temp sensor.

The controller is part of the new assembly. I used the Dorman part from Amazon for $120 or so - not sure if it's still available. There is a replacement procedure in one of the forums here - let me know if you can't find it.

The temp gauge sits mostly straight in the middle of "C" and "H", fan running or not.

Only every now and then (maybe once a month) the temp gauge goes to hot and is back to normal after waiting 15 minutes or so. The engine never seems to overheat during that time.

Could it be some kind of sensor? Shouldn't the engine check light come on? Or are there failure codes stored inside the OBDII system without that light coming on?

When it goes to hot, stop the vehicle, wait a minute or so and crank it again. If it goes back to normal immediately then it could be a sensor or it could also be a steam pocket in the coolant (air). When the steam pocket hits the sensor the temperature spikes temporarily. Might need to fill the coolant and bleed the air out.

But from what I understand both fans should always be running with the engine at temp and the A/C on, so it does sound like a bad fan or fan controller.