2012 Edge Humming Noise

cherrybomb

Hi

I have a 2012 edge with less than 10k miles on it. Sometimes, but not all the time, when I am at a stoplight and it goes green, I hear a low level hum (cant exactly make out where its coming from but feel its somewhere in the center of the vehicle). It goes away rather quickly within a couple seconds. The hum doesn't fade away but after the couple of seconds it just completely stops. The car appears to be running fine with no issues aside from this hum.

Has anyone else exhibited this type of hum?

cherrybomb, do you have AWD or FWD in your Edge? Have you checked the trans fluid level/condition? Do you have the A/C running at the time?

specialk, does the humming occur in a straight line only or if you have the wheel turned also? Straight line only could indicate tire issues. Had your brakes serviced recently/how many miles on them? May need the frequency dampers that the 2011+ come with from factory (macbwt has a video on those on this forum/as MacT on YT). If that's not it, possibly the lug nuts are not torqued properly, or the rotors/pads need to be changed, or the wheels need to be checked for "true"ness/balance.

I have AWD. I have not checked the tran fluid as you mentioned. How do I do that and what should I ne looking for?

In regards to the ac being on. Funny you ask as I was just experimenting with that. No conclusion just yet but definitely I hear it when the ac is on. Still testing with the ac off (close to 95 degrees where I am so a bit difficult with it off).

Why do you ask about the ac? You think it's the compressor or something else?

The procedure for checking trans fluid is exactly as specified in the owner's manual. I have copied a portion of the manual here. Basically, the fluid should be pinkish red, and smell like new, not like varnish or burnt etc. The level should be between the hashmarks on the dipstick. It can be a bit hard to read, so proper lighting is a must when you do this.

2013 Edge Owners Manual_Transmission Fluid Check.pdf

I asked about the A/C because the compressor will cycle on/off after an initial startup period, and under heavy acceleration. Might make a sound as it does so, though not a hum usually. More of a "whoosh" or "gurgle". The blend door may be moving for a short period also, especially if you have the dual climate controls (not manual A/C). The fan motor can make a whirring noise as it slows down.

Hi

I have a 2012 edge with less than 10k miles on it. Sometimes, but not all the time, when I am at a stoplight and it goes green, I hear a low level hum (cant exactly make out where its coming from but feel its somewhere in the center of the vehicle). It goes away rather quickly within a couple seconds. The hum doesn't fade away but after the couple of seconds it just completely stops. The car appears to be running fine with no issues aside from this hum.

Has anyone else exhibited this type of hum?

I could be from the drive-shaft if the other posted possible problems are not correct.

It may just need to be lubricated in the joints with grease or at the worst maybe you have a leaky drive-shaft seal which is causing the drive shaft bearing to go bad hence the humming noise.

It happens because Ford engineering is the worst of all the automakers.

Just kidding before someone locks this thread. :whistling:

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1