Nav - Changing Route to Avoid Traffic

With the Nav screen locked, how do you find a new route to avoid a traffic backup? Can you do this by voice? Other systems allow chosing a new route while driving (Acura) or automatically select one when a traffic allert is received (Acura and many other systems with real time traffic). I want an Edge but this is a the deciding factor for my wife. It is not practical to stop in most traffic situations.

With the Nav screen locked, how do you find a new route to avoid a traffic backup? Can you do this by voice? Other systems allow chosing a new route while driving (Acura) or automatically select one when a traffic allert is received (Acura and many other systems with real time traffic). I want an Edge but this is a the deciding factor for my wife. It is not practical to stop in most traffic situations.

The nav screen is not locked - you just can't enter a brand new destination. I think you should be able to select a re-route while in motion. I could try it on my aviator but I think it's a different system.

The nav screen is not locked - you just can't enter a brand new destination. I think you should be able to select a re-route while in motion. I could try it on my aviator but I think it's a different system.

Thanks! That would be fine. Could some one with an '08 Edge give that a try?

If you are comparing the system in the edges to the Acura you will be slightly dissapointed, the system in the Lexus' is way ahead. I do not like ou edges navigagtion at all, it is wrong a lot with "fastest route" even when I set the speeds in the system correcly. If a high tech nav is what you want ford doesnt have it at this time.

I have a Lexus RX400h with nav: a good system, but locked out. My wife has figured a work around that is ok, but not optimal. I really like the Edge but need an answer or a work around. As usual, the dealer has no clue (not a problem unique to Ford. Lexus is useless on any technical question. If your question is not on an FAQ list, there will never be a reply). Acura RDX is unlocked and has real time traffic, but I would prefer the Edge. If no one has an answer, is there a Ford source that I could ask?

Why not take a test drive and see for yourself?

as witty as that response is... it is not that easy nor always possible

case in point, 2 dealers I visited would not - during test drive - unseal the (or any) GPS DVD and put it into the nav system so I could see it function. As a matter of fact, they are/were kept elsewhere still sealed and in the back office. In addition, IIRC there is even a sticker on the nav display that says something to the effect of only the owner of the vehicle should brake the seal and install the DVD. And the DVD is not given until time of sale.

So, he may not have that option.

as witty as that response is... it is not that easy nor always possible

case in point, 2 dealers I visited would not - during test drive - unseal the (or any) GPS DVD and put it into the nav system so I could see it function. As a matter of fact, they are/were kept elsewhere still sealed and in the back office. In addition, IIRC there is even a sticker on the nav display that says something to the effect of only the owner of the vehicle should brake the seal and install the DVD. And the DVD is not given until time of sale.

So, he may not have that option.

I understand that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. They may have demos or dealer owned cars that can be tested.

You could also check the owner's manual:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

While driving home from work today I told Sync "Navigation Detour". It confirmed the command and asked me how many miles out of the way I wanted to go. How about that!

The Nav user manual has a small reference on page 80 regarding this capability. Pretty hard to find but it's 160 pages. Ugh.

• 1 month later...