Sirius Travel Link

Everyone is right about the 5 year free trial so its definitely worth it for that. I've had it on several vehicles for years and here are my impressions:

1. The weather map is actually pretty useful while traveling if you want to see where big storms are for safety's sake. Just say "Weather Map" and it will show you doppler radar. Its actually pretty cool.

2. The travel link software is useful so long as you're in an area where they actually have info. This is especially useful on long trips where theres an accident or construction way ahead of you. It will actually warn you proactively and offer to let you "avoid" the issue and route you around it. Super useful on road trips. If you live in a high traffic area like Seattle, roads where its super slow moving will show up yellow or red. Also useful.

3. Sports scores and other "data" services are kind of meh. Most don't work while the vehicle is in motion so it doesn't help your passengers.

4. Its still subject to the same old issues with MFT - specifically it is slow and sometimes not intuitive.

It doesn't do anything your phone can't do, but its a little "safer" at least theoretically than looking at your phone. To each his own, but definitely worth the cost (free).

• 1 month later...

Couple of comments:

1. It is not user friendly at all and gets "lost" as well as not allowing any time to answer the myriad questions it asks. I think it gives you about 3 seconds to answer and then either nags you or hangs up.

2. The weather is not "local" even though there are many on line weather apps that provide weather exactly where you are.

3. Frequently it will not hear me when I talk, even though I talk at the same speed and volume that I use with the Navigation System.

I find it interesting that Ford has their own proprietary APPs which for the most part don't work very well (especially the navigation system which is a mess) and doesn't use standard Android or Apple Apps. I guess they think they are going to make more money this was, they are wrong!

• 2 months later...

I loved travel link. Used to work on my 2013 escape. Used the weather a lot when traveling. Could see what I was heading into and when getting out of it. Even altered travel route to avoid bad weather. But seem like in Fords wisdom it is not longer available on Canadain cars specifically my nice new 2015 Edge. I live near the US board and satellites do not stop at boarders. I travel to US a lot and I used my travel link. It just can not be installed now. I am still very very upset and do not know what to do. If I could I would sell the car for one that has travel Link !

I find it interesting that Ford has their own proprietary APPs which for the most part don't work very well (especially the navigation system which is a mess) and doesn't use standard Android or Apple Apps. I guess they think they are going to make more money this was, they are wrong!

They are supporting Android auto and Apple carplay on sync 3 later this year.