No Crank, No Start PATS Problem - 2007 Edge

I have a 2007 Edge and am having problems with the passive anti-theft system.

The Problem: When I try to start the vehicle the key turns as it normally would (tumbler turns over) however it does not even try to crank and the anti- theft light blinks rapidly. I have to turn the key on and off multiple (50 times or so) until the Anti-theft light stops the rapid blinking and it starts right up fine. If I turn the key to the accessory position and wait for the Anti-theft light to quit the rapid blinking (after 45 seconds or so) I get a flashing code of 15- which appears to be a non-programmed key.

When it Occurs: It usually takes the longest (most key turns) after it has been sitting over night. Then it takes only a few turns of the key during the day to start.

What I have done: I have two keys for the Edge and both do the same thing, one key is only a few months old. I have taken the keys off of the keyrings so there is no interference with other keys or cards. I have checked the fuses and relays. I believe that the pcm is communicating properly because the the "miles to empty" and other info displays on the dash when the key is in the accessory position. I have also taken it to the dealership and they could not find the problem; they did try to replace the tranciever for PATs but that did not solve the problem either, luckily they took it back out and did not charge us for it.

Also my wife noticed that whenever she is on her cell phone and tries to start it, it fires right up first try, maybe a coincidence.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know anything else I can look at?

Sounds like there is either electrical interference or a grounding problem, possibly. Any recent electrical work done to the Edge? Battery, alternator, radio, etc.? Any non-OEM equipment that is always installed, for example, into the power outlets? Did you get the second key from a locksmith/dealer (I assume it has the lock/unlock/panic buttons on it also)?

No, I have not had any electrical (or any work) done to it recently and there are no aftermarket accesories installed or plugged in. After this started happening I did clean up all of the grounding connections around the fuse box and battery. Yes the second key does have the buttons on it, I got it from a locksmith and it was after the problem was occuring, I thought that the original key was the problem.

Also, the problem has been getting progressively worse. At first it only had the no start no crank occasionaly, once or twice a week, and it didn't take long for it start, now it is every morning and it takes around 10 min of key turning to start.

Thanks for the reply

I am not seeing anything helpful in the FSM, may need to deepdive the web for ideas.

I will suggest putting in a new battery in the Edge if you haven't had it done in the last 2-3 years, then going from there. If you can have it tested by a modern load tester (digital), that would be a good idea as well. Bad/weak batteries can cause all kind of weird electrical maladies.

• 4 years later...
Guest Sammy

Hi, I have been looking everywhere for help with my 2007 Edge with this problem. It will not start and the anti theft light flashes rapidly but sometimes the light isn't on and will start right up but It has left me stranded a few times.

• 1 year later...

my 07 se has been doing the exact no crank,anti-theft flashing thing every since i swapped the cloth interior for the leather of a mkx. Its been sitting in the same spot for neary 3 wks.now...What can I do that i havent done?..I've replaced the smart junction box ,pcm, and PATS ring and still nothing.Even did the key reprogramming..obd port and keyless entry not working....

Try this, put the key in and turn it to the start position. While holding it in the start position, move the gear selector from park to drive and back to park. Turn the key to off. Try starting. (Gearshit not registering in "park").

If not, try putting gearshift in "neutral" and try starting.

Another thing you can try is turn ignition switch from off to on 8-times (leave in on) then press the door unlock on the fob, then try to start.

Wonder if the ignition switch is failing. Try testing it by turning key to "RUN" position. Check what voltage you get at the + ignition wire that goes to a coil. Should be 12 Volts. If not, the ignition switch is suspect. (If no voltage, try turning off, removing key and back to run. Perhaps it's intermittent. 

sorry that I'm just getting back here...work and more work! so,I tried the sanding the ground connection point and still nothing. I tested my battery with a load tester, as the interior lights and every light on the dash went out after sanding the point and turning the trickle charger up to 60 amps for a start,and it tested bad. Going to purchase a new battery. Will update after work,hopefully this evening

• 5 months later...

Just a guess, but running out of gas creates a couple of problems. One is that you've drawn air into the system. The other is that you've sucked up all kinds of crud at the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter (common on older cars).

If the filter is clogged, you'll need to pull the fuel pump and replace the filter.

Couple of ideas to try,

1) turn the car "on" but not to start. This runs the fuel pump (without discharging the battery too badly). Let it run for a minute or two (precharges the fuel system) then 2) press the accelerator 1/2 down (activates the injectors sooner) and try cranking.