Headliner Overhead Rattle - Vista Roof

Rextang

Ok, I think I know the issue making the rattle. I dropped mine off at the dealer today to have a new roofline installed which they said "could" "possibly" "maybe" fix the problem. After they took the roof liner down to install the new one they discovered a weld that cracked! they did not exactly say where but said it was a bracket from the frame to the vista roof. So the cracked weld could not be fix there they have to send my edge out to body shop so they can re weld the crack. The thing that really gets me is that the first time i dropped it off they said they would drop the roof liner and I'm guessing they never did otherwise they would have found it the first time i brought it in. Im just gad they found a problem, and hopefully it fixed for good. They will have my edge for about a week.

I wonder if that is the same weld that my dealer said is causing my rattle. The last I talked to them, they said they removed the weld, and put in rivets and some type of glue that is used to install roofs?? Hopefully I'll have mine back by the end of the week and I'll post exactly what they did, and if it seems to fix it this time.

dennisml and Doug S. I know this is a bizarre question. But can you share if this took care of the problem and if so, can you share the dealership name? I have been struggling with this for 4 months. My dealer had the car for 2 weeks and still can't fix it. I have resorted to contacting the BBB for a complaint, have notified Ford that I will pursue the lemon law in my state.

Edited by Nono

I have contacted Ford customer service and service manager Tyisha, took my complaint. She was not helpful at all. Simply telling me it is my problem as I have not taken it in or given them enough time. Anyone getting anywhere with their problems. I guess I should have listened to those that say FORD stands for fix or repair daily.

Well, in my case, it appears as though I had two different problems. Like I said before, the first time mine was in, they traced it down to the side curtain mounts tapping the sheet metal (I assume they meant the roof?). They removed all the mounts and used an anti-rattle kit with anti-rattle tape, and that did fix the noise for about 6 weeks or so. Then a noise started up again with it getting progressively worse. The noise sounded like the same as the first time it was in, but this time they said I had a bad weld in a moonroof bracket. I have talked to them several times, and I am still waiting to get mine back. They have put most of it back together, but they had to order in some replacement parts to reinstall the headliner properly. Once I get it back, I will post exactly what the repair order says, and if it fixed it for now.

Edited by DougS

I got an update from my dealer today, some of the parts they ordered to reinstall the headliner arrived yesterday, (these are small installation parts that they did not want to reuse, especially with this being the second time the headliner was removed), but one part that is needed did not come in and is listed as backordered. :( They got word that is should ship on Monday the 18th, (but with that being a holiday, will that delay it another day?) So it looks like I won't get it back till at least the middle of next week or later, provided what they did fixed the rattle.

Hi all new to the forum

I got my 2015 edge sport in august and on day two noticed the rattle above the passenger b pillar. I am having the same problem isolating it. To prevent my irritation i just turn up the music. Makes life easier. Dealer in my area does not have a clue what it is and said when they figure it out they are going to call me in for a repair. Has been 6 months with 2 follow ups and no solution yet from ford.

I took mine back in yesterday. Last repair was tightened some bolts; which did not take care of the issue. This repair, they are saying the vista roof bracket appears to be causing the noise. As when the bracket is touched, the noise stopped. Inquired with them if there is a weld crack, as my scenario appears to be the same as others. They said it is painted, so cannot tell. I am not sure if they are understanding me or I am not explaining it properly. Anxiously awaiting your fix DougS, as mine appears to be incredibly similar.

Edited by Nono

My dealer is telling me (which came directly from Ford). The welding between the frame of the car and the vista roof has several (cannot remember how many) spots that come together. In those there are gaps, which is creating a noise when the painted welds are rubbing together, most prominent in the cold or early morning. In order to correct, spot welding needs to be done. Thats all that Ford will allow.

My dealer called me late this afternoon and said my Edge is done, so I will be picking it up tomorrow. They said they got everything fixed and there are no more noises. I will post what my repair order says they did, but they said this was the second issue with a similar noise, that first fix they did to the side curtain brackets solved that one, and then this one was the bad weld.