2008 Ford Edge oil leak

MikeB74!

My 2008 Ford Edge SEL recently started leaking oil, at first glance I thought it was from the filter area, but I have since learned it appears to be coming from the topside of a component mounted to right(looking from bottom up) that is driven by the serpentine belt. I have not figured out what this component is yet. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sure sounds like a power steering line and not an engine oil leak. The power steering lines are known to leak. If you have never changed your power steering fluid it will look black like oil because it is so dirty. I do not know of any engine oil issue in the area you described. Check your power steering fluid level.

UPDATE:

I learned it was the Engine Oil Sensor Switch. It was leaking oil from where the body and connector meet. I have since replaced it as it was only $12 via O'Reilly auto parts, I went with one of the aftermarket brands. I also learned it is not the easiest to get to with its location. I will say and meant to let you guys know before I knew it was not the Power Steering as that had recently been redone already. I would suggest investing in a short handle rachet, as well, for this job; as you don't have to pull the belt and the component off if you don't want to. It probably is the recommended route to go for one person, though. Also I would suggest once the engine cools done to go ahead and remove the oil filter to give you a little more room. You also, for best access, want the vehicle on jack stands or ramps, as I found it was easier to get to from the lower side vs. the upper side. I plan on posting a video on YouTube about this also and will let you know when it is there.

-Mike

• Like 2

I like YT videos!!!

UPDATE:

I learned it was the Engine Oil Sensor Switch. It was leaking oil from where the body and connector meet. I have since replaced it as it was only $12 via O'Reilly auto parts, I went with one of the aftermarket brands. I also learned it is not the easiest to get to with its location. I will say and meant to let you guys know before I knew it was not the Power Steering as that had recently been redone already. I would suggest investing in a short handle rachet, as well, for this job; as you don't have to pull the belt and the component off if you don't want to. It probably is the recommended route to go for one person, though. Also I would suggest once the engine cools done to go ahead and remove the oil filter to give you a little more room. You also, for best access, want the vehicle on jack stands or ramps, as I found it was easier to get to from the lower side vs. the upper side. I plan on posting a video on YouTube about this also and will let you know when it is there.

-Mike