Your 2016 Edge order?

Chipster

Anyone knows if this site to get the window sticker still works ? http://researchmaniacs.com/Ford/TrackFactoryCarOrders.html Any of you waiting for the news 2016 got a sticker at some point with this tool ?

Thanks .... I can't wait ... I'm getting crazy ... my 2016 has scheduled build day for 1-27 :P

Sepa - This sticker URL worked for me beginning on my build date of 1/11, and generated a page with the correct color/options. None of the other URLs work with my VIN. My sticker is also labeled with "special order" in the item number section. The waiting is driving me nuts too! I wish Ford came out with the '16 back in October along with all the other models.

So I've posted so etching similar before, but still find myself confused and perhaps frustrated with my dealer. My order for a 2016 2.0L Titanium AWD was placed on 10/26. I'm seeing A LOT of people who ordered around that time or later who've already taken delivery, or are at the least much further in the process than me (tentative build week of 2/1).

I can only imagine two possibilities: one, complete incompetence on the part of my dealer; or two, that I selected options that may have been late availability. I did order all the bells and whistles, 302A, cold weather package, etc. Would the adaptive steering be slowing things down? Or the park assist? Heated steering wheel? The color (black) perhaps?

I'm in Metro Detroit, so it's not like I'm that far from Oakville either. Just looking for theories. I'd love to be content with the dealer and know that it's some option that I selected slowing things down, but if they were being lax (I was very specific in telling them that placing an order in October was very purposeful since I wanted it ASAP), I need to rip into them with the highest level of relevant information possible. Thanks for the input.

Most likely your dealer either has limited allocation or there were too many other sold orders ahead of you. If it was a parts issue then the dealer would have been able to tell you exactly what it was and why. And it would not be scheduled. Once it's scheduled that means it can be built and then it comes down to allocation.

Do you know your order priority? Was it

So I've posted so etching similar before, but still find myself confused and perhaps frustrated with my dealer. My order for a 2016 2.0L Titanium AWD was placed on 10/26. I'm seeing A LOT of people who ordered around that time or later who've already taken delivery, or are at the least much further in the process than me (tentative build week of 2/1).

I can only imagine two possibilities: one, complete incompetence on the part of my dealer; or two, that I selected options that may have been late availability. I did order all the bells and whistles, 302A, cold weather package, etc. Would the adaptive steering be slowing things down? Or the park assist? Heated steering wheel? The color (black) perhaps?

I'm in Metro Detroit, so it's not like I'm that far from Oakville either. Just looking for theories. I'd love to be content with the dealer and know that it's some option that I selected slowing things down, but if they were being lax (I was very specific in telling them that placing an order in October was very purposeful since I wanted it ASAP), I need to rip into them with the highest level of relevant information possible. Thanks for the input.

I think it's the luck of the draw. Your dealer either did not have allocation or there were a lot of orders in before yours. It's in their best interest to process orders as fast as possible because they get paid when the deal is done. And it's also in their best interest not to tell you if they have a small allocation or orders in front of you, because then you'd just walk. I suppose it just is how it is. Maybe you could have them search nearby inventory and they can find an Edge as configured already in stock by a nearby dealer and have them eat the cost to ship.

My dealer just called. My Edge is delivered. They need the day to take off the protective shipping film and clean up the car. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

My ETA before being built was 1/28. It was built a day early and the ETA changed to be 1/16-1/20. So it arrived on time.

• Like 2

Most likely your dealer either has limited allocation or there were too many other sold orders ahead of you. If it was a parts issue then the dealer would have been able to tell you exactly what it was and why. And it would not be scheduled. Once it's scheduled that means it can be built and then it comes down to allocation.

Do you know your order priority? Was it < 19?

Priority number was 10.

Priority number was 10.

I too feel frustrated at the ordering process / timing of receiving my order, but realize it is what it is. I ordered Oct 22, 2015 and mine is not even scheduled for build yet; at least that is what my dealer has told me. I never waited long for cars when I lived in LA and Chicago, but my guess would be it was due to dealer buying / selling capability. I will probably give my dealer another 2 weeks or so concerning build with a delivery date. If I do not hear anything by then I will probably walk.

Glad to hear others are receiving their orders...

I too feel frustrated at the ordering process / timing of receiving my order, but realize it is what it is. I ordered Oct 22, 2015 and mine is not even scheduled for build yet; at least that is what my dealer has told me. I never waited long for cars when I lived in LA and Chicago, but my guess would be it was due to dealer buying / selling capability. I will probably give my dealer another 2 weeks or so concerning build with a delivery date. If I do not hear anything by then I will probably walk.

Glad to hear others are receiving their orders...

I'm sure you usually didn't order a new vehicle almost 2 months before it went into production, either.

I wish Ford would not use dealer allocation when building reatail (sold) units. They've done this before on some vehicles but I suspect the bigger dealers as a whole don't like it since it might reduce their overall allocation. But it sure would be better for us.

The whole dealership model is antiquated.

I'd prefer to do all the ordering myself, online. Just like when I buy a new iPhone from Apple. I choose the specs, place my order, and get to track it through all the various steps until it arrives in my possession. Why can't Ford do the same with a $50,000 vehicle?

Times are changing. The new players will force the old guard to reinvent themselves or face the same fate as the dinosaurs.

The whole dealership model is antiquated.

I'd prefer to do all the ordering myself, online. Just like when I buy a new iPhone from Apple. I choose the specs, place my order, and get to track it through all the various steps until it arrives in my possession. Why can't Ford do the same with a $50,000 vehicle?

Times are changing. The new players will force the old guard to reinvent themselves or face the same fate as the dinosaurs.

It's really really simple why Ford can't do that (or any other mfr): State franchise laws.

It is literally against the law for Ford or any other mfr to sell a vehicle directly to the public. If Ford even hints at trying to do this in any way shape or form they get sued. These laws have been on the books since the 50s (at least). Supposedly it "protects" the lowly dealers from the big bad corporate giant. In reality they are antiquated but politicians won't repeal them.

E.g. - Ford tried to create a website where a customer could find a CPO used Ford vehicle, select it and have it sent to their local Ford dealer for purchase. Dealers sued, Ford lost.

Ford tried to give dealers an incentive for better customer service by giving blue oval certified dealers an extra 0.25% holdback. Dealers sued, Ford lost.

It's not that Ford can't do it - they aren't allowed by law.

• Like 1

It's really really simple why Ford can't do that (or any other mfr): State franchise laws.

It is literally against the law for Ford or any other mfr to sell a vehicle directly to the public. If Ford even hints at trying to do this in any way shape or form they get sued. These laws have been on the books since the 50s (at least). Supposedly it "protects" the lowly dealers from the big bad corporate giant. In reality they are antiquated but politicians won't repeal them.

E.g. - Ford tried to create a website where a customer could find a CPO used Ford vehicle, select it and have it sent to their local Ford dealer for purchase. Dealers sued, Ford lost.

Ford tried to give dealers an incentive for better customer service by giving blue oval certified dealers an extra 0.25% holdback. Dealers sued, Ford lost.

It's not that Ford can't do it - they aren't allowed by law.

It's really a shame. Similar to Uber runs afoul of local laws and consumers and legal taxis are left vulnerable.

If a company like Tesla flaunts these laws similar to how Uber has, we may see lawmakers' hand be forced for them. What a way for a new president to leave their mark on Corporate America than to allow tech/auto darling Tesla to conduct business in the way customers actually want to acquire a vehicle.

It's really a shame. Similar to Uber runs afoul of local laws and consumers and legal taxis are left vulnerable.

If a company like Tesla flaunts these laws similar to how Uber has, we may see lawmakers' hand be forced for them. What a way for a new president to leave their mark on Corporate America than to allow tech/auto darling Tesla to conduct business in the way customers actually want to acquire a vehicle.

Tesla has already tried - and lost so far. And there is nothing the President can do - these are state laws.

I just wish the whole ordering process was based on first come first serve irregardless of dealers. The only reason I have waited this long is due to the service I have received from my dealer. They have been great to me and probably in this instance have no control over my order and it's timing. When I bought my 2013 Fusion, I ordered it ~3-5 months before the release date. I was the first person in the Indianapolis area to receive one. My guess is that that particular dealership has ordering priority. That dealer already shows ~12 Edges coming, however I will no longer do business with them due to their poor after purchase practices...

Anyway, we have about 2 weeks before we will have to try another approach because my patience is waning.

Take care everyone...

There are some benefits to the franchise model. I read this in the paper, so it must be true :) Anyway, the biggest benefit is that franchise owners typically live in the community that they work and they tend to support community financially more so than a corporation would if the sales offices were owned by a corporation. How many times do you see car dealer's logos on local sports stadiums. I see it a lot, as one example.

Dealers specifically can make the process of getting all that paperwork required to finance a car and license it done all in one place. This adds some value to a lot of buyers.

This may not be a value to most, but to me the biggest reason I love talking to a salesperson rather than buying online, you can negotiate your price and get creative with your deal to get a package that provides more value to yourself. For example, if you buy a car at a dealer, if you don't negotiate on price alone, you can get some nice things thrown into the deal such as free maintenance, detailing, extended warranty for less than if you were to purchase those items separately. To set up a system online to craft these creative packages would be pretty hard because different people value the same item differently. If you negotiate on price alone, you can still get a better deal than if there was one "online" pre-negotiated price or a public auction site where others bid against you.

The biggest negatives about car dealers in my opinion are:

1. The sales tactics and how many dealers try to squeeze every penny out of you by adding fees or "options" that are not on the factory invoice.

2. The lack of transparency is also another problem. You can't easily track your order, figuring out what the dealer paid for the car is not straight forward and varies regionally and by sales volume etc. (but how many things do you buy do you know the price that the seller paid wholesale anyway).

3. The last major negative I see is having a dealer is another layer of cost that is added to the car. You have to pay the salaries of all those salespeople.

Lastly, even if the dealerships were corporate owned, there's nothing to say that similar sales tactics wouldn't be used. There may be an option to buy it online, but most people still like to get that personal touch when buying something that costs tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't think Ford would want to sell vehicles directly to the public, but there are some things they could do that would be beneficial.

Holding dealerships accountable for their service and customer service. Customers tend to hold bad service against Ford when it's beyond their control.

Direct factory orders and tracking but with delivery and service at a local dealer. No dealer allocation limitations.

Factory service centers where you can get factory certified help especially with tricky warranty issues. This one is tricky since it would be competing directly with dealers service departments, but it solves the problem where your local dealer can't fix your problem.

Finally, a few more days and bye bye 2013, welcome 2016 :)

Trim:

- SEL FWD

- 2.0 Ecoboost

- 201A

- canadian touring (pano+Nav)

- cold weather

- utility package

- technology package

- leather seats

- winter safety (tires + SE rims)

Order: 11-15-2015

DOB: 01-14-2016

Delivered: 01-19-2016 (To dealership)

Pick up: TBC

• Like 3

FYI,

I received a message from my dealer today and there is no change in my status; still not scheduled for build. They said it is possible that my paint color could be the reason for the delay, otherwise they are not sure. They do have others coming their way, but not what I want in the color I want.

I will keep everyone posted...

That's complete BS or the dealer is just too lazy to look it up. If there was a hold on a paint color the dealer would know for sure. Ford publishes this info at least weekly.

Send a PM to FordService and see if they can check on your order status for you.

FordService may not be checking the board for awhile. I don't know if they're back, but they stepped out indefinitely in early January. I'd send a Tweet to @FordService to get help. send them a direct message once they follow you if you don't want anybody seeing your tweets.

Hey Ford Fam,

We will be away from the forum temporarily. If you guys need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via Twitter or Facebook. If you need immediate assistance, please contact your dealer or the Customer Relationship Center. For the CRC, dial 1-800-392-3673 OR 1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired).

Thanks for your patience!

Tricia

FYI,

After reviewing my paperwork yesterday I was a bit confused on my order, order date, and mismatched dates on printouts, so I went to the dealership and had a conversation to try and understand if there was a problem. Here goes:

Background Info:

I came to the dealership back in June 2015 wanting to buy a 2016 Focus RS loaded. (loaded meaning it has all the amenities including adaptive cruise control which is a must) Guess what, Focus RS is not going to be released with adaptive cruise. NIX that one...

So now it’s August 2015 and I have decided to get a 2015 Edge loaded. (loaded meaning it has all the amenities including adaptive cruise control which is a must) Guess what 2015 Edge not getting released with adaptive cruise. NIX that one...

So now it’s September 2015 and the dealership says “why don't we just order you a 2016 Edge with what you want”. We attempt to do that and of course no orders being taken yet. Ok, wait until order release date (~12Oct2015, delayed to 21Oct2015)

Now the fun begins:

I come in on the 22Oct2015, go over everything I requested be on the vehicle, as I emailed ~ 2 weeks prior stating what options had to be on the car, and find that there is a discrepancy with what they have ordered. They correct it and I write a check for $500. ~2-3 weeks after, I realize I did not take the order paperwork with me from the dealership. No biggie I have them email it to me. Next day I receive the printout and realize it is only 1 page and the document says there should be two pages. I request the second page and notice everything looks good. Or so I thought at the time…

Yesterday, I pull the electronic documents up on the computer and notice some dating issues (one paper says 02Nov2015 and the other says 12Nov2015). These dates are on the bottom of the document small like this is a fax or something. I also pull up my cashed check to verify dating against and it shows cashed on the 23Oct2015. Now I'm confused. Did the vehicle get ordered on the 22Oct2015, 02Nov2015, or 12Nov2015?!?

So I go to the dealership with all of this paperwork and after sitting down with the manager and calling Ford it is determined that the original order was placed on the 22Oct2015, however there was a change on the 02Nov2015 causing the order to now actually be ordered on that date. It cannot be determined why the date of order was moved to the 02Nov2015, however Ford says that there were changes to the ordering guide and my options originally stated did not align. They say it was most likely this reasoning for my order to be updated to 02Nov2015.

So long story short my order now shows the 02Nov2015. They also tell me that they did a search up to 1000miles of the dealership and show no Electric Spice vehicles ordered and surmise a delay based on paint color. This is why they said that the color could have something to do with the delay.

I will keep everyone posted…