2009-10 Edge & MKX Recall - Fuel Tank related

Saw this on another site:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/28/ford-mustang-edge-lincoln-mkx-recall/

Ford is issuing three new safety campaigns that cover a total of 130,801 vehicles in North America, but the company has no reports of accidents, injuries, or fires from any of these issues. The largest of these campaigns covers 128,823 examples of the 2009-2010 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX that are currently registered or originally sold in rust-prone areas of North America, including 110,636 in the US. On these crossovers, "corrosion under the reinforcement brackets where the fuel tank is mounted" can potentially result in a fuel leak. To fix the issue, dealers will inspect the tank and will repair or replace it as necessary.

The affected locations are: Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin; and the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that the original one or did they expand the vehicles covered as I predicted?

This is a new recall, affecting just the 09-10 Edge & MKX vehicles. Notifications start on Dec. 14th.

Repair (if needed) will be R & R or treat tank with a corrosion protective sealer.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=MKX&stats=512802%2C1%2C0%2C10%2C5%2CMKX&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2009&searchCriteria.make=LINCOLN&searchCriteria.prod_ids=512802

If I remember, I'll call dealer on Monday and see what they say about it.

(I did crawl under the car and check around the tank as best I could see. Didn't see anything, but rust could be hidden between tank and supports).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I meant was did the original recall only cover 07-08 therefore this one effectively expands it to the 09-10 models or was the original recall for 09-10 models? I assume it's the former.

There are two recalls on the 08 for fuel tank.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=hC1XWbfJYh2jk6H2yTPGLMt2tSHgLJk0LcNC2rpC1V3wCfQ1T8m8!1016641107?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=MKX&cmplCount=10&rclCount=1&invCount=0&tsbCount=5&activeTab=0&stats=325631%2C2%2C2%2C49%2C10%2CMKX&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2008&searchCriteria.make=LINCOLN&searchCriteria.prod_ids=325631&submit=Go

In reading the 08 & 09 recalls, it appears that they overlap, running from 2006 to 2010. Looks like they finally included the 2009 & 2010 models (for one of the recalls, they must have changed the design between the 08 & 09 models).

Talked to the dealer and he said I could schedule at any time, just bring it in near empty. Asked what if I had to replace tank, he said they have been stockpiling ranks and have half-dozen on hand. (FWD, not AWD). Told him I have AWD and he said would take one extra day, and they would supply a loner for the time they had it. Would have to bring a tank in from Ford parts warehouse.

Also said that cars specificly not noted in recall (not registered in snow states) will be serviced under recall, if found to be leaking. However, if checked and found to be okay, owner would be responsible for labor.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...