Knocking noise while braking?

Cryage

I'd hate to post this in the 2013 section since it's likely not specific to the year of my vehicle, but unsure where else to post this (since I don't know if it's a wheel issue, brake issue, or engine issue).

However the observation is as such;

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL , great vehicle and overall happy with it. We have close to 58,000 kms on it after purchasing it in December 2013 - I use it for work to drive to and from appointments so a lot of highway driving and lots of use of cruise control - so not aggressive driving for this many kilometers.

This last week, when I've been applying my brakes, and as soon as I get below 20-30 km/h I start to hear a knocking noise. When I reach a complete stop, then accelerate again I feel a small "kick" in the gas pedal and again, a minor knock.

The sound appears to be originating from the front driver side (to the best of my ability in determining the noise while I'm driving , hard to move my head around to find out EXACTLY where ;) )

Any thoughts on what would cause this? I'm suspecting the brakes since during my last service about a month or so back they advised they were taking apart the brakes to inspect the the assemblies since it's about that time during it's life cycle. Maybe something wasn't re-installed properly ?

I'd appreciate all tips/advice. I'm going to likely setup an appointment for the dealership to install my winter tires this upcoming Friday so maybe I'll see if they can take a gander at the brakes and see if anything is lose.

Thanks guys!

Pads could be loose in the calipers and would be more evident as piston pressure decreases on them and the vehicle slows down enough to overcome road noise. I'd have the calipers/slide pins serviced, make sure the shims are installed properly, and that the brake fluid is flushed.

Assuming this is brake-related, of course. Did you have the wheels aligned recently? Did they check the suspension/undercarriage at that time to make sure there's no loose bolts/bushing rot/etc.?

Well that was a bit of a sinking feeling in the gut
Bought a torque wrench just now since the other one is in my parents garage when I was helping my dad swap his tires. almost all of the lugs were lose (and i even had the tires re-torqued after having the brakes checked for the last service)
One of my lug nuts is also missing on my back left wheel :eek:
Do they just sell 19mm ones at princesss auto / the parts department at the dealership?
Thanks!
edit: I'll add, that was strange, zero wobble :/ I mean they weren't THAT lose, about 1.5 revolutions to re-tighten... but lose enough to be concerned!

Great now my OCD is going to go nuts and I'll be re-tightening these weekly lol.
Edited by Cryage
  • Like 1

From the fordpartsgiant.com site (2013 Edge):

Nut - Wheel - Callout Name: 1012 Make Sure These Fit

6L2Z-1012-BA Nut - Wheel

Fit Note: , With 17" Wheels, With 18" Wheels, With 20" Wheels, With 22" Wheels

20 $5.12 $3.62

6W7Z-1012-AA Nut - Wheel

Fit Note: , With 17" Wheels

2 $4.60 $3.26

Not sure which one will fit your Edge. Amazon or EBay might be good places to find spares, but might as well get them from the dealer unless you have free shipping available to you.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W