DRL's and HID's

I just bought a 2013 Edge limited. It did not come with HID's. Since this is a Canadian car the DRL's are located in the headlights. Does anyone know if HID's are capable of running DRL's thru them? I went to drivebright site and found some great HID kits with LED strips that he uses for DRL's. My question is can I move the DRL's from the headlights to the strip lights? I have read a post where someone had the dealer can program DRL's to either headlight or strip light. Anyone confirm this?

I programmed DRLs on neighbor's 2009 Edge changing them from headlights to turn bulbs, so basically any dealership with IDS can do it.

HIDs directly powered from reduced power/PWM DRL voltage will flicker.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of DRL's, that being to increase safety by making your vehicle more visible on the road?

Turn bulbs provide some extra visibility as well.

There is no regulated amount of light that DRLs need to provide I am aware of, and some stock DRL setups are considerably less bright than this 2 turn signal kind.

My personal opinion is that low beams as DRLs should be prohibited at all - they give bad drivers a dangerous illusion that their headlights (and tail lights too!) are on, especially with modern always-lit instrument clusters.

Edited by Vadimus

Turn bulbs provide some extra visibility as well.

There is no regulated amount of light that DRLs need to provide I am aware of, and some stock DRL setups are considerably less bright than this 2 turn signal kind.

My personal opinion is that low beams as DRLs should be prohibited at all - they give bad drivers a dangerous illusion that their headlight (and tail lights too!) are on, especially with modern always-lit instrument clusters.

Actually, if it is a projector headlight, then no. if it has the cup over the light like most standard headlights, then yes HIDs will give you a really bad glare.

HIDs retrofitted in a reflector headlight is a very bad thing. You will blind other drivers no matter what. Just because of optics laws.

A while back I had 9006 HID kit on my 2005 Ford Freestyle and I still feel the shame for being careless.

In halogen projector headlights HIDs are somewhat acceptable.

HIDs retrofitted in a reflector headlight is a very bad thing. You will blind other drivers no matter what. Just because of optics laws.

A while back I had 9006 HID kit on my 2005 Ford Freestyle and I still feel the shame for being careless.

In halogen projector headlights HIDs are somewhat acceptable.

Vadimus, I checked the part numbers and the factory headlight assembly is the same wether you have factory HID's or not. The olny difference I see is the bulb itself and of course the ballasts. I guess I have to ask is the edge's headlight assembly a reflector headlight?

Edited by Kazz

Vadimus, I checked the part numbers and the factory headlight assembly is the same wether you have factory HID's or not. The olny difference I see is the bulb itself and of course the ballasts. I guess I have to ask is the edge's headlight assembly a reflector headlight?

I believe first version of Edge did not have either lens or HID options.

2007_ford_edge.jpg

Edited by Vadimus

Only factory halogens in reflector (non-projector) housings for high/low beams. Not sure if the fogs qualify as projectors though. Aftermarket projector headlight assemblies are available.

That makes sense as when I search for aftermarket HID kits like from drivebright there is no mention of issues. Just a plug and play.

If you want to install HID in your 13 SEL, ask your dealer to change the DRL from headlights to parking lamps. This way your HID lamps won't be on all the time. Plus the lower voltage to the headlights while in DRL mode will be eliminated.

I had this done on mine. Took 5 minutes. I then installed a HID kit. Big improvement.

If you want to install HID in your 13 SEL, ask your dealer to change the DRL from headlights to parking lamps. This way your HID lamps won't be on all the time. Plus the lower voltage to the headlights while in DRL mode will be eliminated.

I had this done on mine. Took 5 minutes. I then installed a HID kit. Big improvement.

Thanks Normcloutier. I have a limited but would think the DRL's set up is the same.