NEED INPUT: SUV Purchase (Edge vs Murano/Rav4/Vue/Escape)

I'm getting ready to purchase a used SUV and have narrowed the field to those below

1 Ford Edge

2 Nissan Murano

3 Toyota RAV4

4 Saturn Vue

5 Ford Escape

I'm hoping to get some feedback from you all. I have yet to drive any of them as that will be the next step, but would like to get some feedback from others taking everything into account (looks/cargo space/mpg/etc). MPG is important as I drive about 45 miles one way to work.

Now I know the response I'll get (purchase the Edge), but please provide the reasons for and against the rival competition.

Thanks in advance

here's my 2 cents.

i bought my edge earlier this month and love it.

nissan murano sounds like Morano i.e. Moran

rav4 is small i compare that to a honda CRV

vue is a bit more expensive when optioned and its a bit smaller in my opinion.

escape while im sure it is a good SUV; the body has been around for a number of years and is starting to look dated.

Thanks for the input, what kind of mpg are you getting on the edge?

I drive about 45 miles a day to work with about 30 of them highway so that is definitely a factor

I could give you some assumptions, like you'll probably get better gas mileage with the RAV4 and the Escape and they are slightly smaller (I think), but your best bet is go to a site like Vehix.com where you can compare various makes and models and see the stats side by side. I was a regular on that site and others to confirm my decision to go with the Edge. It was very helpful in comparing areas like head/leg room, cargo capacity, etc. That really helps narrow it down and may eliminate some models based on what you're looking for.

And yes, I would recommend the Edge over those on your list.

I had an Escape - it is noticeably smaller inside than an Edge, especially narrower - also it is an old style SUV on a separate chassis so the ride and roadholding are not as good as the Edge, which is the whole point of a "crossover", having a unibody/monocoque construction more like a sedan. Note that many owners, me included, rate the ride of an Edge to be as good as in luxury and imported cars - much better than most BMWs in my view!

The Murano has a CVT gearbox - this doesn't have conventional gears, instead the gear ratio is "continuously variable". It can be most unpleasant driving one of these gearboxes as the engine never settles at a steady rpm. I would never choose any car with a CVT!

Don't know about the others except to say that the Edge is the best looking crossover on the market by a mile. Life's too short to own an ugly car!!

Cheers, Andy

I have driven the Escape/Mariner/Tribute trio and the differences versus the Edge are as follows:

- Smaller in terms of cargo space and interior room

- Lacks refinement, especially when it comes to engine noise (Even worse when it comes to the 4 cylinder versions)

- Doesn't have the same performance in V6 trim

As for Muranos, the differences are as follows:

- Love it or hate it design. The new one is even more polarizing.

- Headroom is less

- The CVT will drive you batty. I drove a 2007 Maxima (Which shares the same frame and drivetrain as the Altima and Murano) with the CVT and was DEFINITELY not happy. The performance is not what it used to be.

• 1 month later...

I have driven the Escape in it's older form and the recently redesigned one. The 2008 Escape is a much more refined vehicle than its predecessor. That being said, the Escape with the V6 will drink as much or more gas than the larger Edge. I found the seats in the Escape to be a tad bit uncomfortable after riding in it for a while. The seats on the Edge are very comfortable for all passengers. One of the road tests i did before purchasing my Edge was riding in the rear seat. The rear seats on the Edge actually recline and are quite comfortable. I can't say the same thing for the Escape.

I also found the Escape to have a great deal of road and engine noise. My Edge is definitely quieter on both counts.

I haven't driven the other vehicles so I can't give you too many comments. I know both the Murano and the Vue have CVT transmissions. Many people don't like them while others do. Supposedly they deliver better gas milage but I don't know that this has actually been confirmed. I rented a Freestyle when it had the CVT. It took some getting used to. The Edge has a 6 speed transmission and is every bit as smooth shifting as the CVT is. I think you will find the ride and the roominess in the Edge will tip the balance that way.

I was unaware that the Vue had a CVT. But anyway I would take the Escape in 4cyl trim if you're looking for great MPG, the EDGE if you want a nice ride/looks/engine.

Consider the CX-7 in FWD trim, AWD drinks up the gas.

I thought I read the CX-7 required premium gas due to the turbo charger.

yes that is what I've read too. it basically requires premium or you'll have much reduced performance. Creme will confirm it.

as for those talking about the Escape, new drivetrains will be available in 2009 models. I don't know if they're planning to add further refinement through extra noise insulation or anything else. but it should definitely drive better than the current i4 and V6. I think they're also coming up with a newer (3rd gen) hybrid version

Edited by bri719

I thought I read the CX-7 required premium gas due to the turbo charger.

Yeah, so? It's 2 dollars or 3 dollars extra per fill up tops, not as much as everyone makes it out to be.

Definitely wait for the 09 Escape/Mariner/Tribute, they will all have 6 speed automatics.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

• 3 months later...

Neighbour has a Murano ... is smaller than the edge as well as a higher price for something closer to the Limited package.

Stand back and look at how the exhaust is run uner the axel on the Murano. Hit a low object ... or as in "the great white north" a snow bank or such and then price out a new exhaust sytem. Brother in Law is a shop forman at GM ... he did not like the way it was routed.