need ideas to cover the info screen on dash

Jessica Kriescher

My '13 Edge does not have the big touch screen computer in the dash, it has a smaller screen for the radio info, temps, etc. Size is 2x4".

I find it to be very distracting while driving at night; every day I am using the dimmer buttons, high during the day to see the dash stuff, then dim it down as far as it goes so I can watch for deer. I still end up holding my hand up to block it. I'm afraid if I keep doing this I'll wear out those buttons, or the dimmer system over time?

I was thinking of finding some dark static window cling material to cover it with at night, but was wondering if anyone else is bothered by this and what options are out there.

Thanks!

Unless you are manually turning on your headlights during the day, the dash brightness should only need to be set for night (with the lights on). The dash illumination goes bright automatically when the lights are off (i.e. daytime).

However, a simple and free solution that I have used at home for alarm clocks and other digital displays that were too bright was to go to the local window tint shop and ask them for a few scraps of tint material that they've cut while tinting windows. They will usually have a variety of pieces in various levels of tint so that you can adjust how much you dim the display. The tint film is easy to cut and fairly simple to apply with soapy water and a squeegee (a credit card makes a good squeegee if you don't have one).

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

Unless you are manually turning on your headlights during the day, the dash brightness should only need to be set for night (with the lights on). The dash illumination goes bright automatically when the lights are off (i.e. daytime).

However, a simple and free solution that I have used at home for alarm clocks and other digital displays that were too bright was to go to the local window tint shop and ask them for a few scraps of tint material that they've cut while tinting windows. They will usually have a variety of pieces in various levels of tint so that you can adjust how much you dim the display. The tint film is easy to cut and fairly simple to apply with soapy water and a squeegee (a credit card makes a good squeegee if you don't have one).

great advice wizaed