Trying to order a 2016 Edge

davidceder

Had a chat session with Ford. Please see below. Does anyone know anything about this. Certain dealers can order certain cars only at certain times or maybe never. I am not believing this.

Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.

Tara-Kay says:
Hello. This is Tara-Kay. How can I help you with your build today?
David Cederbaum says:
Hi Tara-Kay
David Cederbaum says:
I have had 2 local dealers try to get me pricing on a 2016 Edge. They have been unsuccessful in getting the car configured on the Ford site. It was my understanding that the order bank for 2016s opened in October.
Tara-Kay says:
I am happy to assist. It will be just a moment while I look into that for you.
Tara-Kay says:
The estimated opening of the ordering banks for the 2016 Edge was early November of this year. The Edge is estimated to arrive on dealer lots early January of 2016. Are you saying the the BUild is not on the website or there was a problem with selecting option for the 2016 Edge on the website?
David Cederbaum says:
I have NO problem building the car on the ford site open to the public. I am reporting that my dealers cannot get a configuration into whatever system they use to order a car so we ca get pricing etc...
Tara-Kay says:
Ordering availability varies by dealership, I suggest contacting another Ford dealership.
David Cederbaum says:
They let me know that they were working with their order system (I am taking it for granted it is their interface to the factory.)
Tara-Kay says:
I suggest reaching out to a different dealership; all sales orders are processed through our Ford dealerships.
David Cederbaum says:
I am just trying to order a car from my local dealer. The next closest one is 100 miles away. Small town. I cannot imagine they can't get into the system to price a car for me. Ford is making it difficult for me to spend my to money on their products
Tara-Kay says:
I understand the need to order your vehicle, I suggest continuing to work with your current dealer to see if there is any change or ask if the can coordinate with a dealership that can order the vehicle. I cannot confirm that they will be able to do this, it's best to speak with them.
Tara-Kay says:
"...they..."
David Cederbaum says:
Are you saying some dealers are locked out of placing orders even though the bank is open?
Tara-Kay says:
Ordering availability varies by dealership; not every dealership has the ability to place orders for certain models from the factory.
David Cederbaum says:
They can NEVER order certain models?
Tara-Kay says:
It may me never or not being available to them at the same time as other dealerships; I suggest speaking with your dealer to confirm.
David Cederbaum says:
OK will do thanks
Tara-Kay says:
Thank you for chatting with me. To rate my service, please click the small, red "X" at the top right corner to launch a short survey. I look forward to hearing your feedback. Have a great day

I just ordered a 2016 from a local dealership who also had the same problem with ordering on the ford website. Ford is aware of the glitch in the computer ordering system and even states that they are working to resolve the issue. To place an order the dealer needs to use an old method of ordering where the car and options are ordered using codes. Hopefully there is someone at your dealership who knows how to do this. Good luck.

I just ordered a 2016 from a local dealership who also had the same problem with ordering on the ford website. Ford is aware of the glitch in the computer ordering system and even states that they are working to resolve the issue. To place an order the dealer needs to use an old method of ordering where the car and options are ordered using codes. Hopefully there is someone at your dealership who knows how to do this. Good luck.

My dealer had the same trouble using the newer system that Ford is switching to. He entered my order in the old way, and it worked.

With regards to the dealer only being able to order certain vehicles, that may be true for the smaller dealers. The dealer can an order one, but will only be accepted when he has allocation. On something like the GT500, they might not even get an allocation. I have hated this about Ford's way of doing business; the way they are basically catering to the larger dealers, and leaving the little dealers in a lurch. I say if the customer places an order for a new vehicle, that should trump all else in order to get that vehicle to the customer, regardless of the dealer size. oh well..........

My dealer is in a very rural area, and the nearest big dealer is about 160 miles away.

• Like 1

They have to do something - otherwise a small dealer could order hundreds of vehicles that just sit there unsold while the big dealer has no inventory.

Granted the small dealer couldn't do that for very long and stay in business but on a smaller scale it could hurt Ford sales overall.

What Ford has done many times before is treat retail (sold) orders don't come out of the dealers' normal allocation, so buying one from a small dealer isn't a problem. I can't remember which vehicles they've done this on - more than one. But that would solve the problem.

In my opinion, a retail (sold) order should always take precedence over dealer stock. That has not been my experience with Ford.

It always does except on a new model build - if the dealer obeys the rules on priority. Retail orders are 10-19 and dealer stock is 20+.

The only time it doesn't is when the first of a new model comes off the line. Those vehicles are held for inspection until the plant goes 5 days in a row with no build errors. That could take 5 days or 5 weeks. In some cases those early vehicles sit at the factory for weeks and weeks waiting on repairs/reinspection and you don't want that to happen with a retail order. So Ford waits for the ok to buy so the retail orders can be shipped directly off the line.

I have numerous dealers in the area I live that get greater numbers of certain vehicles over others. My guess is it is based on what they sell the most of and keeps the lot from sitting full of cars they can't / don't sell. The specific dealer I deal with gets the most F150's in the area as they are closer to a rural setting, however they were still able to order my Edge even though they would not typically sell much of that vehicle. In my case, this aligns with what akirby stated above based on priority.