Rear brake question

RJG

We don't drive our 2012 Limited Edge on short trips much, and sometimes it sits 4-5 days before it is driven. If I wash it, and then pull in into the garage, then let it sit for a few days..... when I back it out of garage and drive it.....it might take 2-3 miles before right rear brake capiler stops making a noise....like it's dragging. When it finally stops making the dragging noise..... it is OK.

If I wash it, then drive it around the block before putting it away....don't have this issue. Obviously the fix is to drive it around the block after I wash it.

But.....is there any lubricant I can spray in there to stop this? Luckily we live in warm Florida, but imagine if I make a trip to cold wet country, then park car overnight, this could be a problem.

Edited by RJG

It would most likely help if you took the rear brakes apart and cleaned all the rust out of everything and re-greased all the contact points in the pads and calipers then the shims. Do not grease the pads you could clean them with some brake cleaner also. Most likely rust is causing your issue. Ultimately if you wash it then drive it you are heating up the brakes and not allowing the moisture to sit on the rotors and cause surface rusting as quickly. It is over four years so some brake inspection and maintenance would be a great idea. There is a video on this for a 2011 which would apply to your Edge.

• Like 1