Just Installed HIDs, Do I Need To Install "Projectors?"

Ok, I have read this blog and I am more confused than before. All I want to know is what kind of HID bulbs do I get for my 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD?????

if you wanted to know that.. you read the wrong thread... try reading

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1914

or

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1553

if you wanted to know that.. you read the wrong thread... try reading

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1914

or

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1553

Ok guys, here are some new pics of my lights. The first pic is without adjusting the headlamp screw, and the second is with adjusting.

Before

pic1hl5.jpg

After

pic2zs6.jpg

Looks good.. I have an aftermarket hid kit in my f150 with lightning style headlights and it works great. Want the wife to get them in the edge but she doesnt want them. I think that the halogen lights in the edge have a great beam pattern and cut off. I often wondered what hids would look like in the stock housing . Do your hi beams still work? I sacraficed them in my f150 to get the hids, didnt want to spend the extra for the bi-xenon

Ok guys, here are some new pics of my lights. The first pic is without adjusting the headlamp screw, and the second is with adjusting.

first, what actual down adjustment did you decide to make? quarter turn, half turn, full turn, 5 turns? and why that number?

second, the problem with these garage door photos - and there are a lot on the web - is it not very relative to true traffic so you are not really sure what you are looking at. yeah, I can see the difference, but what does this translate to on an actual road? it certainly seems like you adjustment gets you a bit more coverage right in front of you and drops down of curse.. but was that the intended goal and what is the the before and after feel on the actual road to yourself and your vibe towards others?

Looks good.. I have an aftermarket hid kit in my f150 with lightning style headlights and it works great. Want the wife to get them in the edge but she doesnt want them. I think that the halogen lights in the edge have a great beam pattern and cut off. I often wondered what hids would look like in the stock housing . Do your hi beams still work? I sacraficed them in my f150 to get the hids, didnt want to spend the extra for the bi-xenon

High beams are still installed and work perfectly, and the set that I ordered was from ebay, and cost only about $95 for 8Ks.

For Lex, after adjusting the lights, I put them back to the stock position since the Edge has a great cutoff for non-projector housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask and ye shall receive....

Forgive the quality but it was a camera phone.

med_gallery_2566_114_5412.jpg

med_gallery_2566_114_203814.jpg

Hi Lex. :D The MKX does not have HID headlamps. It comes standard with plain old "Quad Halogen Headlamps". Optional are "Adaptive Halogen Headlamps" (check the Lincoln website).

In other words, it has regular halogen bulbs standard. And as an option, it has Halogen headlamps whose bulbs/reflectors swivel in the direction of the turning wheels.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Hey guys, I am new to this forum just wanted to comment about the HID's that Ford will be offering as an option on the new 09 Ford Flex. I'm not sure why they didn't offer this on at least the 08 Edge, all in all it is still a great cross over.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey it looks great! Can you give me all the parts that I would need to do the same to my Edge?

Thanks!

It seems your question is just what you need to install HIDs?

if so

I, and others, use this kit and love it

or

Some also use this kit and like

either way, either one of those links will tell you exactly what you need and what to do to install HID kit in your Edge.

It seems your question is just what you need to install HIDs?

if so

I, and others, use this kit and love it

or

Some also use this kit and like

either way, either one of those links will tell you exactly what you need and what to do to install HID kit in your Edge.

I appreciate the info but I am still not sure which bulbs I should pick and which ones are legal. I dont want to get stopped by a cop every 5 minutes. Any info would help. Thanks!

I appreciate the info but I am still not sure which bulbs I should pick and which ones are legal. I dont want to get stopped by a cop every 5 minutes. Any info would help. Thanks!

ahh.. well, technically, NO after market user installed HID kit/bulb is legal. so, if that is a concern... stop here

if you are willing to forgo that concern, as thousands seem to do, you need size H11 bulb and for color temp then it 'seems' the consensus is 4300, 5000, or 6000k are the ones most often selected. you can read ALL over the HID threads here - and the web and the 2 dealers threads I linked to - for the differences between each, photos, tips, installs and why one may select one color over the other.

the high points: 4300k is most similar to stock HID kits seen on most cars that come with them and are pretty close to pure white. 5000k is a little bluer tint and not as much light output. 6000k is even a bit bluer tint and less light output. again, there is a ton of this already covered on this website in the numerous HID threads, but those are the high-points.

I selected 5000k and love them. I DID want some blue tint, but not obnoxious and so 5000k from Retro-Solutions fit right in as the best selection for the look I wanted.

seems they saved it for the more coveted MKX ;)

MKX doesn't have HID headlights either. They're projector beam Halogens. And they're adaptive meaning the headlights pivot slightly into a turn.

Yeah, it's very disappointing that Xenon bulbs aren't a factory option when every other vehicle in this class has them as an option at least, if not standard.