Just Installed HIDs, Do I Need To Install "Projectors?"

oh man.... a whole lot you can read out there about the pros/cons of putting HID into a reflector (or car essentially) that is not even designed to have HID... I will not go there as I plan to put HIDs in mine with no 'correct' reflector (as do many) but there are certainly opinions about doing so.

more importantly of interest... which kit did you use, where did you get it, what bulb did you use (4300 or 6000) and did you put in relays?

oh man.... a whole lot you can read out there about the pros/cons of putting HID into a reflector (or car essentially) that is not even designed to have HID... I will not go there as I plan to put HIDs in mine with no 'correct' reflector (as do many) but there are certainly opinions about doing so.

more importantly of interest... which kit did you use, where did you get it, what bulb did you use (4300 or 6000) and did you put in relays?

I'd like to know more about these "projectors" from someone. I wasn't aware that I needed anything else to install.

Back on topic, I ordered these 8000K bulbs off of ebay, which were very reasonably priced. After reading how the very expensive Mcculloch were performing, I decided to go with a different variation. The company's website is www.xenon-vision.com, and strangely the lights are sold for $250+ on there website, yet the ebay member sells them for under $100 with shipping.

I simply used the ballasts that were provided, and did not use any relays. I mounted the ballasts on the side of the edge and the lights have been working flawlessly so far. Aside from a very mild buzzing sound, everything seems A-Ok.

afterxy7.jpg

Edited by Acupuncture

I'd like to know more about these "projectors" from someone. I wasn't aware that I needed anything else to install.

you don't "need" them - some just believe that the lights do not perform optimally unless they are set in a specific HID projector/reflector versus ours that are made for Halogens.

I simply used the ballasts that were provided, and did not use any relays. I mounted the ballasts on the side of the edge and the lights have been working flawlessly so far. Aside from a very mild buzzing sound, everything seems A-Ok.

where do you hear the buzzing? under the hood? do you have electrical feedback on the radio for example?

Edited by Lex Talionis

you don't "need" them - some just believe that the lights do not perform optimally unless they are set in a specific HID projector/reflector versus ours that are made for Halogens.

where do you hear the buzzing? under the hood? do you have electrical feedback on the radio for example?

The lights themselvs let off a quiet "bzzz" that sounds a lot like the artificial lighting in office buildings. It's almost completely inaudible, and you really have to be on top of the open hood to even hear it.

HI guys. I just installed my HIDs, and I was browsing another forum where someone was claiming that putting HIDs in stock headlights will cause too much glare without installing projectors. Is this true?

YES!! NOt only that, but HID's for halogen lamps are illegal in most states... and if you have 8000K on up.. you are definitely a target for the cops! If you want to put on projectors.. I reccomend getting some from an Acura TSX or TL, Audi Rs6, Mercedes, Make sure the Lens is CLEAR..dont get a Fresnel (it has lines in it and takes away good light output) you will have to put your head lights in the oven (yes the oven in your kitchen lol) to get them open... then you have to use a dremmel to open a hole wide enough to fit a projector in.. and then you have to fabricate some type of bracket or screw holes to hold them in... Its fairly hard and time consuming.. but there is a big community for this type of hobby or modification.. if you want to read up on it i suggest you take a look at http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ theres plenty of knowledge about this on that forum. I currently have a project for this on a different car

HID's With NO PROJECTOR... Light output is SLOPPY and all over the place.. blinding other motorists

67yi236.jpg

HID with Acura TSX Projector.... Look at the SHARP CUT off line along the wall.. beam is much brighter evenly distributed

4yyrymv.jpg

Edited by MiamiEdge

The buzzing is the ballast.

I had a set of HIDs in my old Subaru wagon that I transferred to my old Civic. The light output wasn't that great. I wouldn't waste the $$$ on a set of aftermarket HID's unless you did go w/a projector conversion.

If you want the blue/white bulb look, get some PIAA super or hyperwhite bulbs.

isn't the better question.. should or would you even need to after installing HID?

Well, the argument is that since we do not have projectors factory installed, glare might be a problem and cause our vehicle to become "noticeable" by the police, thus resulting in a possible ticket. I'm assuming that if you can "aim" the low beams a little lower, it'll have the illusion of having projectors installed. At least, that's my take on it. Anyone else care to clarify?

I get your gist... but reaiming down as way to cover your tracks - if not needed - also reduces the distance the light is projected over. so you loose one of the benefits. As for police, I have not read that people reaiming their lights down reduced this chance. I understand it being that the change is so drastic, it is noticeable no matter what you do. What really seems to be more of the cop tip off, from what I understand, is the blueness of the tint - based on temp of bulb you select 4300, 5000, 6000, 8000k etc. but as I said in the beginning, lots of opinions here and none of what I just said takes into consideration if you even changed projectors versus just throwing in the HID kit and using the stock system. Since you are putting in H11 into same location and place of old H11 - and into a not HID compliant reflector - is it just true pull out and put in or do you have to adjust your aim? I have read a lot on this topic, and though no pro, I recall very little mention of people installing and ALSO mentioning reaiming when doing it. That is where I am coming from as will reaiming really matter since our reflectors are not HID complaint anyway.

just out of curiosity, how would one do this?

Hi acupuncture. :D Detailed instructions on how to aim the Edge's headlights are in...of all places...drum roll please...the Owners Manual!

The online version for the 2007 model has them starting on page 76. Yours may be different, so check the Index under Headlamps, then Aiming.

Good luck! :beerchug:

That comparison above of HIDs in halogen housing vs projectors is ridiculous. If you want to make a true comparison, use an Edge as the basis of your test, not just some other random vehicle. Every vehicle is different, and if you did your homework, you'd realize that the edges halogen housing actually works very well with HIDs with minimal glare. A slight tweak of the adjustment screw (i believe it's clockwise to get a slighlty downward adjustment) and you are pretty much guaranteed minimal glare with much improved visibility from the HIDs. Yes, too much of an adjustment would be counter productive however a slight adjustment is fine.

Hi acupuncture. :D Detailed instructions on how to aim the Edge's headlights are in...of all places...drum roll please...the Owners Manual!

The online version for the 2007 model has them starting on page 76. Yours may be different, so check the Index under Headlamps, then Aiming.

Interesting! Thanks so much!

seems they saved it for the more coveted MKX ;)

Hi Lex. :D The MKX does not have HID headlamps. It comes standard with plain old "Quad Halogen Headlamps". Optional are "Adaptive Halogen Headlamps" (check the Lincoln website).

In other words, it has regular halogen bulbs standard. And as an option, it has Halogen headlamps whose bulbs/reflectors swivel in the direction of the turning wheels.

Edited by bbf2530

So true...just offer it as an option!! It's not like it's new technology anymore and for a vehicle at the price point of the Edge, it only makes sense. I must admit though, it was really the only thing i found that was missing from the Edge but i'm determined to add it somehow...even though i will be on my 3rd HID kit attempt :(

To adjust the height of the beam, I'm assuming you have to take the headlight cover off since the screw is right next to where the bulb is.

Of course not. Check page 84 of the Owner's Manual. There is an adjuster screw that looks like it takes a large allen wrench but you actually put a phillips screwdriver inside of it to adjust the height of the beam.