Shattered spark plug coil

jfrost308

Just yesterday my wife was leaving work in her 2007 Ford Edge when it began to sputter on her at the light and not go any where. She pulls over and turns the car off and then back on and the check engine light begins flashing. She calls her mother (I'm overseas) to follow her 5 miles to the Ford dealership. They inform her today that's it's a spark plug coil that shattered. Tech says per Ford protocol when that happens they have to replace the whole computer, coils, spark plugs, O-rings, re-program car keys..... $2000. 7-10 days I'm trying to determine if this is correct or if I'm getting ripped off. Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about this happening to your Edge, must not have been the greatest experience for your wife :(

I assume they pulled codes from the computer or they could NOT pull codes from the computer. In either case, they figured codes were set that indicated that various coil on plug ignition parts had fried, and it fit the criteria per the TSB 13-4-17. If the computer was fried, then the codes were likely lost, and same diagnostic result.

Not sure how the "O-rings" play into this nor what they are referring to, but probably have to reprogram the car keys due to new computer being installed. Should not be a major part of the cost. Most of the cost should be ignition coils, spark plugs, and computer, which easily runs close to $1,600 or more with OEM parts.

TSB 13-4-17_MIL ON WITH DTCS - P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, AND OR P0356 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3-1-2008.pdf

• Like 1

I agree the PCM is going to be your biggest cost unless you can opt for a refurbished one or have the one that was in your car repaired. That would be the only option to try to reduce the costs. You might be able to get a used PCM from a recycling yard and have it reprogramed for your Edge. I totally understand your feelings as I have been in the same boat while in the military. Remember if money to repair is an issue you have other assistance through the military support such as Army/Navy/Marie/Air Force relief funds.

If you live at or near a base you could always see if the Auto Skills center has mechanics that would be able to repair this and it may be less expensive and puts money back into your MWR on base.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1