An Edge Sport and an Explorer Sport go out for a drive...

How do they compare?

The Edge and Explorer Sports aren't too far apart in pricing when similarly equipped, in fact MSRP on an Edge Sport can easily exceed an Explorer Sport depending on the options. That said, what are you getting? The Edge Sport has a nicer interior, in my opinion. The seats are no comparison as the Explorer has flat, unsupportive, rough leather. Explorer doesn't have much unique leather stitching on the doors, doesn't have aluminum pedals, and doesn't have Sync 3 (not that my 2015 does either). The Edge's button feel, touch points, and door "thud" are all more premium feeling. The Explorer can be had with rear bucket seats, which is nice, and of course has a 3rd row seat. The headliner is black which I also really like.

Performance wise? The Explorer sounds GREAT. The 3.5EB honestly sounds like a V8 in this application and there is plenty of power to get up and go. The Edge Sport, being a smaller vehicle, is quicker. No doubt. Handling, it's a little bit wallowy, but still is impressive given its massive size. Unlike the Edge Sport, the Explorer Sport has a hitch for towing. This could be a big deciding factor for a lot of people.

Please tell me you two hit the gas to see what happens...not in the 20 zone but maybe somewhere ....else

Haha no, there wasn't an opportunity where we were at. I will say I've driven both back to back. The Edge walks on the Explorer. Explorer is potent, yes, but it still is a massive truck and it doesn't quite throw you back in your seat like the Edge can when you hit it. Engine and exhaust note sounds much deeper than the Edge though, which I appreciate. Edited by cjh
  • Like 3

The 3.5LEB is torque limited to protect the drivetrain in transverse applications - the D3 platform had to be modified to handle it. The 2.7LEB is an all new design and the new Edge platform was designed to handle the power. I wouldn't be surprised if the Edge Sport is putting more power to the ground at most RPM than the Explorer Sport.

cjh, take traction control off on your edge, rev it to 2k rpm and let the brake go...that's throwing you back.

Now picture it tuned with an extra 100hp, I did this twice in a row and got a headache, had to re-adjust my head rest, lol

cjh, take traction control off on your edge, rev it to 2k rpm and let the brake go...that's throwing you back.

Now picture it tuned with an extra 100hp, I did this twice in a row and got a headache, had to re-adjust my head rest, lol

Dammit...I need to bite the bullet and tune. Nervous for warranty purposes.

Well, if it makes you feel better my last car was tuned by same company and the vehicle is still operational :-)

Haha. I'm sure it's more the exception than the norm, but someone on the Fusion forums with a 2.0EB tuned and the engine grenaded. Yikes

Livernois tunes a lot of cars, I trust this shop. I see no tune for 2.0 from them. I also visited there in person to get in the dyno with the last car to confirm their claims. Spot on.

Wouldn't have gotten tuned by anyone else.

Livernois tunes a lot of cars, I trust this shop. I see no tune for 2.0 from them. I also visited there in person to get in the dyno with the last car to confirm their claims. Spot on.

Wouldn't have gotten tuned by anyone else.

Yeah, I know the one that grenaded wasn't done by LMS. I'd definitely go with them if I were to do so.

Makes a pretty big difference, eh?

The tune...yes, the difference is to go from trying hard to pass a car that don't want you to pass to giggle gently while trying not to hit triples as you pass, ready or not.

Hahaha. Good way to describe it. I'd get in some serious trouble with a tune I'm sure...I'm still constantly amazed by how quickly 80mph sneaks up on the speedometer. :worship:

My last car was...faster.

80 was the highway merging speed and then I would blend with traffic.

You can get it to go sideways up to triples by applying full gas.

Edge feels safer, more predictable, much slower...

I still have both but the SS is benched, don't need a reminder.

• Like 1

One of the items I would be interested in is controlling for incorrect size tire and wheels. This way I can use stuff from my other car and u can get the best tire regardless of wheel diameter and they can fix it in tune.

Down side for you...you will be tuned.

Up side, they will give you a discount. Talk to Andy.

One of the items I would be interested in is controlling for incorrect size tire and wheels. This way I can use stuff from my other car and u can get the best tire regardless of wheel diameter and they can fix it in tune.

Down side for you...you will be tuned.

Up side, they will give you a discount. Talk to Andy.

That definitely would be helpful, I'm not planning on changing wheels/tires at any point though. The 21s are just too damn good looking that I doubt anything could compete. The dealer suckered me into the wheel and tire insurance for $300. Seems reasonable, given 1) the cost of the Pirelli Scorpions 2) Michigan roads 3) the fact that I bent three rims and destroyed two tires on my Fusion due to potholes.

Regarding the discount....what would the discount be on? The tune or the installation service?

Edited by cjh

Tune is self install so the box containing the tune is what would be discounted, I think the going rate is $600 plus shipping which hit me for $18...

I don't think they would change any hardware, but as far as 21s go I want to run 285/35/21 Michelin super sport for the summer

• Like 1

Sweet looking Edge....and explorer too!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited and think I may get myself a new Edge Sport this summer (or maybe wait till the 2017 model). Can you comment on the space inside on the Edge compared to the Explorer? Is it close as far as the baggage you can haul in the cargo area? I know the Explorer is bigger but is there a large difference, looks close to me.

Thanks very much for posting these together, big help for me!

George

Edited by Diverx

Tune is self install so the box containing the tune is what would be discounted, I think the going rate is $600 plus shipping which hit me for $18...

I don't think they would change any hardware, but as far as 21s go I want to run 285/35/21 Michelin super sport for the summer

Might be a spring/summer project. Though, my bank account won't appreciate it much. I justify it as either I have one fun and practical DD or I buy a second car for weekend fun, which would be much more expensive. So in reality, I'm saving money with mods to the Edge. :whistling:

Sweet looking Edge....and explorer too!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited and think I may get myself a new Edge Sport this summer (or maybe wait till the 2017 model). Can you comment on the space inside on the Edge compared to the Explorer? Is it close as far as the baggage you can haul in the cargo area? I know the Explorer is bigger but is there a large difference, looks close to me.

Thanks very much for posting these together, big help for me!

George

Thanks!

Explorer has 80.7 cubic feet of cargo room while the Edge has 68.9-cubic-feet of capacity. I really think there is a TON of room behind the second row though. Would easily be enough for a family of four for vacation, etc. I have a move planned this summer and am looking forward to all the room (used to drive a Fusion).

• Like 1