Thinking of Replacing My Edge's Navigation System With Aftermarket

I recently purchased a Tom Tom for my girlfriend, and not only does it have more/better features, a better display, better and more accurate navigation and more features than the stock GPS, but it also only cost $169. While I wouldn't say that the GPS inside the Edge's navigation system is terrible (it IS serviceable), I just can't help but think there are better options out there. I bought my 07' Edge as a display/Demo model, so I managed to save a good deal of money on a practically new vehicle that contained every option imaginable. I can probably get close to $1,000 or more on ebay for it, so that would put me in the realm of a nice after market model. Now on to my questions:

Would an aftermarket GPS still allow me to use my steering wheel buttons for volume, next track etc?

Which aftermarket GPS would you consider purchasing, and which do you think would fit?

Thanks a lot for your time and answers!

Edited by Acupuncture

I recently purchased a Tom Tom for my girlfriend, and not only does it have more/better features, a better display, better and more accurate navigation and more features than the stock GPS, but it also only cost $169. While I wouldn't say that the GPS inside the Edge's navigation system is terrible (it IS serviceable), I just can't help but think there are better options out there. I bought my 07' Edge as a display/Demo model, so I managed to save a good deal of money on a practically new vehicle that contained every option imaginable. I can probably get close to $1,000 or more on ebay for it, so that would put me in the realm of a nice after market model. Now on to my questions:

Would an aftermarket GPS still allow me to use my steering wheel buttons for volume, next track etc?

Which aftermarket GPS would you consider purchasing, and which do you think would fit?

Thanks a lot for your time and answers!

factory stuff always (IMHO) tends to be junk compared to what you can get in the after market world.

I would suggest looking into a Pioneer AVIC Z-2..with that you will get a DVD player CD player..can be overridden for being able to work the nav functions while driving and the ability to watch movies. The Z2 also has a built in 30gig hard drive 20gig is dedicated to the nav maps and 10gig is for saving music..you load a cd into it and it will rip the music off the cd and save it to a library and you wont have to fool with that CD anymore. Has the input for XM and Sirius radio, reversing camera input CD changer input,DVD changer input etc.etc. You can also get a module that will allow your steering wheel contorls to function as normal, volume up/down, track skip and flip thru functions.

here you can find more info:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Pro...In-Dash/AVIC-Z2

here is a Forum where you can find them sometimes for sale for a really good price:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php...36f4c4e9145125c

and you can find very good combo deals on ebay too:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Hope this helps...

oh yea..here is a pic of the Z2 installed in my EDGE:

DSC04607Medium.jpg

reversing camera in the Tag surround:

DSC05954.jpg

factory stuff always (IMHO) tends to be junk compared to what you can get in the after market world.

I would suggest looking into a Pioneer AVIC Z-2..with that you will get a DVD player CD player..can be overridden for being able to work the nav functions while driving and the ability to watch movies. The Z2 also has a built in 30gig hard drive 20gig is dedicated to the nav maps and 10gig is for saving music..you load a cd into it and it will rip the music off the cd and save it to a library and you wont have to fool with that CD anymore. Has the input for XM and Sirius radio, reversing camera input CD changer input,DVD changer input etc.etc. You can also get a module that will allow your steering wheel contorls to function as normal, volume up/down, track skip and flip thru functions.

here you can find more info:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Pro...In-Dash/AVIC-Z2

here is a Forum where you can find them sometimes for sale for a really good price:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php...36f4c4e9145125c

and you can find very good combo deals on ebay too:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Hope this helps...

oh yea..here is a pic of the Z2 installed in my EDGE:

DSC04607Medium.jpg

reversing camera in the Tag surround:

DSC05954.jpg

Looks beautiful. Do you think a company like best buy would install the unity? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. Also, is the unit capable of showing real-time weather like some of the GPS units? Thanks!

Looks beautiful. Do you think a company like best buy would install the unity? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. Also, is the unit capable of showing real-time weather like some of the GPS units? Thanks!

thanks..yes..but I doubt that they will do the override..I have been told that you can from the factory work the nav while driving..just not watch DVD's

I do not think it show real time weather..but it has aux. inputs so you can add stuff to it..not really sure if you can add that or not though..you can add nav traffic..which I am told is pretty cool..

thanks..yes..but I doubt that they will do the override..I have been told that you can from the factory work the nav while driving..just not watch DVD's

I do not think it show real time weather..but it has aux. inputs so you can add stuff to it..not really sure if you can add that or not though..you can add nav traffic..which I am told is pretty cool..

One more question, how difficult, and where can I find the tool needed to allow my steering wheel buttons to work. Thanks again!

Abrannan19 -

talk to me about that back up camera. Iam curious about the install... the plate camera has wires - power, ground, and rca jack and such on it, no? how did you get those into the vehcile so as to have no wires exposed? did you have to drill holes? is it a bulkly bit of wired?

also, where did you run the wires up to the head unit? through the headliner or along the floor trim?

thanks, very curious here.

Abrannan19 -

talk to me about that back up camera. Iam curious about the install... the plate camera has wires - power, ground, and rca jack and such on it, no? how did you get those into the vehcile so as to have no wires exposed? did you have to drill holes? is it a bulkly bit of wired?

also, where did you run the wires up to the head unit? through the headliner or along the floor trim?

I have the same questions. Mine will be an Eclipse.

One more question, how difficult, and where can I find the tool needed to allow my steering wheel buttons to work. Thanks again!

I dont really know..I had mine installed and they had the module there.

Abrannan19 -

I have the same questions. Mine will be an Eclipse.

I had that installed also..It only has one wire..I think there is one hole from the factory behind the tag bracket or somewhere close...I need to look.. I also think that they ran the cord thru the headliner since there is a line at the top part of the hatch thru a gasket.

I have had little luck in locating any of the wiring info that would help you, but as for the steering wheel control adapter ... current products I have found only handle part of the setup. The dealer that did mine used the only product I have been able to find so far, and it leaves me with dead buttons on the steering wheel so far - namely the voice command button and the phone button.

I know it is possible to activate those controls remotely, since the wired remote you can get from Pioneer supports them, but I don't exactly want my steering wheel controls to be a cheesy little remote that straps onto the wheel. Will post if I find anything more, but have had no luck as yet with Ford, and have had some other priorities to attend to first :(

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I am putting in the Edge

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn6620overviews.html

I agree with the other person. I just finished the install of the Avic Z2, with Bluetooth, and Back-up Camera. I also downloaded the patch and by-pass instructions, so I can edit my navigation, and watch TV while driving. The entire package was $1269.00 on Ebay. That included free shipping. Everything was brand new, not reconditioned. The options available for the Avic, are better than what they offer for the Eclipse, in my opinion. Now, I've done my research, and even tried the Kenwood in my Pick up. The kenwood is a nice unit, but I am getting rid of it, and buying another Avic Z2 for my pickup. I actually installed the back-up camera just above the trailer hitch.

I did some reading on the AVIC-Z2 as well as the Eclipse AVN-5495 and the AVN-6620. While the features may be more on the Pioneer, one thing I am highly concerned with is the hard drive. As you may well know, AZ gets hotter than hell itself during the summer months. Couple the fact that the inside of the car can get around 130 degrees or better and the hard drive may or may not handle the temps (In short, very iffy).

I looked at the 5495 which is the direct competitor to the Z2 and it doesn't have as many features. Therefore, I think I'll stay with the 6620.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I design interfaces that allow the replacement of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury factory radios with an aftermarket radio, all plug & play, no cutting into the OEM harness is required. These interfaces will retain OEM features such as steering wheel controls, Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), THXII amplified systems, Aux input jack, and Rear Seat Controls (RSC).

To replace the radio in a 2007-2008 Edge/MKX you will need a total of two interfaces. One is the FORDAH. This interface will give the outputs an aftermarket navigation radio usually requires. It will output RAP (Retained Accessory Power (the radio time delay)), Illumination trigger, Revere trigger, Parking Break trigger, and VSS (vehicle speed sense). To retain your steering wheel controls you will need an additional interface, either the PESWIPS, PESWIECL2, PESWIAKJC, or PESWIX, it depends on what radio brand you choose. We do not sell directly, do an internet search for these part numbers and you will find them.

The link below is to the FORDAH. Use the search field on the top of the website for the steering wheel control interfaces I mention below.

BTW, when I was working on these interfaces I fell in Love with the MKX, so much so I bought one! If you have any questions feel free to email me at gary.mazur@aampofamerica.com. I do not check these forums often, so email will be the best way to ask questions.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/produ...x?ProductID=280

Gary Mazur

Engineer

Peripheral Electronics

Hello,

I design interfaces that allow the replacement of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury factory radios with an aftermarket radio, all plug & play, no cutting into the OEM harness is required. These interfaces will retain OEM features such as steering wheel controls, Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), THXII amplified systems, Aux input jack, and Rear Seat Controls (RSC).

To replace the radio in a 2007-2008 Edge/MKX you will need a total of two interfaces. One is the FORDAH. This interface will give the outputs an aftermarket navigation radio usually requires. It will output RAP (Retained Accessory Power (the radio time delay)), Illumination trigger, Revere trigger, Parking Break trigger, and VSS (vehicle speed sense). To retain your steering wheel controls you will need an additional interface, either the PESWIPS, PESWIECL2, PESWIAKJC, or PESWIX, it depends on what radio brand you choose. We do not sell directly, do an internet search for these part numbers and you will find them.

The link below is to the FORDAH. Use the search field on the top of the website for the steering wheel control interfaces I mention below.

BTW, when I was working on these interfaces I fell in Love with the MKX, so much so I bought one! If you have any questions feel free to email me at gary.mazur@aampofamerica.com. I do not check these forums often, so email will be the best way to ask questions.

Gary Mazur

Engineer

Peripheral Electronics

Looks like I may be doing some business with the above poster. I poked around on his site and found some good pieces we could use to retain our steering wheel controls and interface with a wide variety of head units. They also have BT interfaces.

• 6 months later...
Hello,

Gary Mazur

Engineer

Peripheral Electronics

Hi, I know its been a while since you made this post but I hope you can help me. I recently purchased a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. It did not come with the NAV unit wich I really didn't want since I have heard factory NAVs are not nearly as good as after market NAVS. I have a Tom Tom but would love something more integrated. Is there anyway to install an aftermarket NAV Radio such as a pioneer unit and retain my Sync. I love the Syncs ability to control my USB hard drive and my Bluetooth phone and don't wan to lose these abilities. You noted that yoru company makes a module for connecting the steering wheel controls to after market radios. From what I understand the Sync is a seperate module and I was wondering if your company has any way to bridge the Sync module to an aftermarket radio.

Thanks in advance -Rob.

• 1 month later...

Abrannan19 were you able to keep the "SYNC" features when you put in the Z2. I too have a Z2 unit and I did the bypass on the system so I can run DVDs while the car is in motion. I did it by using the bluetooth wires. I now am looking into purchasing a Ford Edge and the model Im looking at comes with SYNC. So I was just wondering if you were able to retain that feature when you put in the Z2?

Thanks for the info and the pics you provided.

Abrannan19 were you able to keep the "SYNC" features when you put in the Z2. I too have a Z2 unit and I did the bypass on the system so I can run DVDs while the car is in motion. I did it by using the bluetooth wires. I now am looking into purchasing a Ford Edge and the model Im looking at comes with SYNC. So I was just wondering if you were able to retain that feature when you put in the Z2?

Thanks for the info and the pics you provided.

Hi Dannys16. :D According to Abrannon's signature, he/she has a 2007 Edge. SYNC was not available.

However, to answer your question concerning vehicles that are equipped with SYNC. Currently, it is not possible to keep the SYNC functions if the head unit is replaced. It is integral to the SYNC function.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi Dannys16. :D According to Abrannon's signature, he/she has a 2007 Edge. SYNC was not available.

However, to answer your question concerning vehicles that are equipped with SYNC. Currently, it is not possible to keep the SYNC functions if the head unit is replaced. It is integral to the SYNC function.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the information bbf2530. I guess I would just have to get the bluetooth feature that comes with the Pioneer unit.