how long do special orders take?

spidy

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it if you need to ... but how long would a special order take at this point?

I put a deposit down on an Edge Friday that was in Los Angeles, and yesterday they told me that it was sold before my dealership could get it :( I've tried searching through California's inventory and I don't see another Edge even close to the way I want.

So... I'm thinking I can order the one I want and have my salesman keep checking the inventory at the same time until we either find one here or the order arrives. I'm just worried that the residual will drop more (had heard it would be 59%, then in Dec it was 52% and now it was going to be 51%) and my trade-in value will decrease the longer I have to keep it.

Thanks guys!

Spidy

I was going to put an Edge on order end of this month. Financial plans have changed, but I digress. My dealer said if one is ordered to my spec at end of January, it should arrive Early March. I would say with some of the delays and backlog they are dealing with at the plant, 2 months is probably right. They had some manufacturing issues that were worked out, but they have to repair some of the ones that were already done and in storage.

So to be safe, I'd say 2 months for orders for the next month or so. By summer, probably less.

I was going to put an Edge on order end of this month. Financial plans have changed, but I digress. My dealer said if one is ordered to my spec at end of January, it should arrive Early March. I would say with some of the delays and backlog they are dealing with at the plant, 2 months is probably right. They had some manufacturing issues that were worked out, but they have to repair some of the ones that were already done and in storage.

So to be safe, I'd say 2 months for orders for the next month or so. By summer, probably less.

It usually takes about 6 weeks from the day you order it to get out of the factory, I was told. Then there is delivery time added onto that which will add about about another 10 or 12 days on that! I would order now if you really want one!

I stopped by my Ford dealer in Monroe NY just this past Wednesday to test drive and see if there were any SELs without the Vista roof or Premium package (there was not).

But my very helpful salesperson informed me that she had just placed an order that day for 4 additional Edges. She offered to change one of them to meet my requirements. Which she did...without any deposit required. She said she'd let me know when it arrives (around 4-6 weeks) and if I want it, it's mine, if not, they'd eventually sell it.

Kicker is, she just called me (2 days later) and said that the factory just pulled the order and it's beginning to get built! I was impressed that it all happened so quickly!

Now I just hope they offer me a good deal on it!! :)

Hmmm, well wouldn't that be a plesant surprise if mine happened that fast- I did confirm with my salesman that he has turned the order in... so I guess as long as it or another I want gets here before the 5th (when he says incentives change and my quote for tread-in expires) I'll be good!

What sucks is that I ordered an SE and an SEL (Dealer ordered it w/ my name on it just in case I liked it better) back in August (About 2 after they started taking orders). The SEL was built a week before my SE and FINALLY the SEL came in. The SE is nowhere to be found. Doesn't even say GATE yet. I ended up liking my 18" Painted Rims more than the 17" rims (even though both are nice IMHO) and the upgraded interior so I took the SEL. Love the car. But what I'm a little annoyed is that I know people ordering them now MIGHT actually get their cars before my SE comes in. Too bad Ford couldn't streamline their system and order me another car based on an order being one of the early builds and send ONLY the second order to the dealer.

I actually know someone that had something similar happen. They ordered an Expedition when they first were introduced (day one when they started taking orders). Their neighbor ordered theirs AFTER they started shipping. Guess who's came in first? The neighbors. So they went straight to the GM dealer and bought a competing product (I think it was a Escalate or something like that) and drove to the Ford dealer and canceled their order. They weren't mad at the dealership but more at Ford.

I love my Edge and glad I waited for it. However if I was still waiting for my SE my frustration would of hit the roof by the end of the month.

Bill