Edge Sport technical data

piokas

I plan to buy a car and I discovered beautiful blue Sport Edge. But I can't find anywhere on-line the most important info - what is it's max. speed and acceleration of this car. Especially in comparison to "usual" Edge which data are also totally unexisting. Even at Fordvehicles' site I have many less important issues as torque, capacities and compression ratios what give me nothing. I simply wish to know if Sport Edge is faster and quicker than Cayenne I planned to buy or not. Can anyone enlight me in this basic matter? Thanx in advance.

I plan to buy a car and I discovered beautiful blue Sport Edge. But I can't find anywhere on-line the most important info - what is it's max. speed and acceleration of this car. Especially in comparison to "usual" Edge which data are also totally unexisting. Even at Fordvehicles' site I have many less important issues as torque, capacities and compression ratios what give me nothing. I simply wish to know if Sport Edge is faster and quicker than Cayenne I planned to buy or not. Can anyone enlight me in this basic matter? Thanx in advance.

No, it's not quicker than a Cayenne. Probably never will be. It's also about half the cost of a Cayenne.

Most people aren't looking to drag race CUVs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Buddy there isnt that far off when he mentions Turbo.

Actually the 3.5 V6 Duratec engine is presently in production cars in Australia, matched up to a twin turbo. From what I understand the first car to have that engine setup in North America will be the Lincoln MKZ.

No mention if it's going to be put on the EDGE as it seems that the engine size will be reduced to a 4cylinder as previously mentioned by someone else here.

The good news about this all is that teh 3.5 Duratec in the EDGE was designed with turbo charging in mind from the beginning, therefor, expect something in the market that you'd be able to go order at your local Ford dealer since it will soon be sold with a turbo matched to it.

Anyway, it might not be a Cayenne and you might not be racing the darn thing... but it'd would be nice to have a few more ponies under the hood. Way too many vehicles are coming out with over 280 horses and well... I dont wanna feel like i'm driving a civic.

Hi all. :D The first application of the EcoBoost 3.5 liter turbo engine will be in the Lincoln MKS (not the MKZ). Current plans are for this to occur approximately spring to mid 2009. This information has been public for some time now. The MKS is the Lincoln flagship, so that is where the newest engine technology will debut.

The MKS is currently available with the 3.7 liter normally aspirated Duratec.

As production of the 3.5L EcoBoost ramps up, then we will begin to see it in other Ford/Lincoln-Mercury vehicles. But it will the MKS first, then the new Ford Taurus (2010 model). Probably also the new Lincoln MKT when it debuts later in 2009.

Maybe the MKX, MKZ and Edge next. But they will see it later, not sooner.

Also, as SMACKya stated, some of them will see the EcoBoost I-4 before they see the V-6 version, due to fuel prices and customers MPG concerns. Again, this information has been public knowledge for some time now.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - SMACKya, just as an FYI: The turbo engines Ford uses in Australia are a 4.0L Inline 6 and a 2.5L Inline 5 Duratec. They are not the 3.5L V-6 Duratec which we have here.

You can verify that information on the Ford of Australia website: LINK: Ford of Australia

Edited by bbf2530

• 7 months later...
The Cayenne is a tank sized rocket. No ford Edge will ever out drag or perform one.

I read a ford review that stated that I am wrong but I will believe it when i see it.

Any specs floating around

2008 Cayenne (equally equipped w/ V6)

via Motor Trend

"The Cayenne's base V6 engine has been derided as too weak to sit beneath a Porsche hood, yet now we think it's a worthy entry-level offering. The angle between the V6's cylinder banks shrinks from 15 degrees to 10.6 degrees, while displacement grows from 3.2 liters to 3.6 liters. The V6 now pumps out 290 horsepower and 283 pound-feet of torque, some 43 hp and 54 lb-ft more than last year. Porsche claims 0-60-mph acceleration drops from about 9.5 seconds to the low 8-second bracket."

2008 Edge

via Edmunds

"The Edge is quick, with a 0-60-mph time of just 7.4 seconds (front-driver version). Shifts from the six-speed automatic are smooth and well-timed, though we wish there was better manual access to gears. (You're limited to "D," "O/D off" and "L.") Properly equipped, the Ford Edge can tow up to 3,500 pounds, which is average for the segment."

I'm just sayin.....

Edited by DJ Nap

• 2 months later...
"The Edge is quick, with a 0-60-mph time of just 7.4 seconds (front-driver version). Shifts from the six-speed automatic are smooth and well-timed, though we wish there was better manual access to gears. (You're limited to "D," "O/D off" and "L.") Properly equipped, the Ford Edge can tow up to 3,500 pounds, which is average for the segment."

Can anybody please tell me what the 0-60 MPH acceleration time is for the Ford Edge Sport WITH all wheel drive? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks for your help!

Can anybody please tell me what the 0-60 MPH acceleration time is for the Ford Edge Sport WITH all wheel drive? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks for your help!

Hi mj. :D I took a quick look and could not find acceleration times for the AWD Edge Sport.

However, just to back up Edmunds, I can tell you that Motor Trend tested the FWD Edge Sport and logged 0-60 times of 7.3 seconds. Unfortunately, the heavy 22" wheels hurt acceleration, as Motor Trend points out.

You can assume that the AWD version would be approximately .5 seconds or so slower. So figure in the 7.8-8.0 second range.

Hi mj. :D I took a quick look and could not find acceleration times for the AWD Edge Sport.

However, just to back up Edmunds, I can tell you that Motor Trend tested the FWD Edge Sport and logged 0-60 times of 7.3 seconds. Unfortunately, the heavy 22" wheels hurt acceleration, as Motor Trend points out.

You can assume that the AWD version would be approximately .5 seconds or so slower. So figure in the 7.8-8.0 second range.

Thanks for your input, but I'm still hoping I can find an exact Ford statistic ;) I've seen guesstimates anywhere from 7.8-8.4 seconds. I wish I could find an exact number! The way the rumors are flowing, I'm thinking this won't matter for long with an expected update to the Ford Edge Sport next year. I'm REALLY hoping for the rumored 355 HP!

Thanks for your input, but I'm still hoping I can find an exact Ford statistic ;) I've seen guesstimates anywhere from 7.8-8.4 seconds. I wish I could find an exact number! The way the rumors are flowing, I'm thinking this won't matter for long with an expected update to the Ford Edge Sport next year. I'm REALLY hoping for the rumored 355 HP!

Hi MJ. :D You are welcome and if I find any I will post back.

What I can tell you is this: If you want the most accurate real world figures, look for tests done by Motor Trend, Car and Drive, Automobile, or other car enthusiast magazines.

To their credit, Ford is know for providing acceleration figures that underestimate the cars performance ability. In other words, if Ford gives an Edge Sport AWD 0-60 figure of 8.0 seconds, you can be sure that the true, real world figure will generally be faster than what Ford states.

Just a bit of an FYI for comparison purposes.

I have an AWD Edge and I have no complaints about the acceleration. For an suv/crossover it is plenty quick. I tear up the road in it. Love how it handles in the rain too. I hope it treats me well come winter and snow.

Comparing an Edge and a Cayenne? Why? They are 2-3 times more expensive, yeah it better beat an Edge for that kind of money.