Part number for the blue water

neoweb

Hi, I have a ford edge 2013

Today when I open the engine hood, I notice the blue water is nearly dry.

Does anyone know what part number it is on the fordparts website?

Any please please please stop telling me to go to the walmart...I just want to know the part number for ford/motorcraft.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but I'll bite...

The "blue water" is windshield washer fluid that is available from any auto parts store, dollar stores and most grocery stores (yes, and Walmart). I don't think Ford sells a premix washer fluid - they only have concentrate that must be mixed with water in the correct proportions. Most dealers don't even carry that. Every dealer I've been to just carries the same stuff you can buy anywhere because the Ford concentrate is inconvenient and expensive.

There is no difference between various brands that would make a Ford or Motorcraft branded fluid even remotely worth looking for. The concentrate is part #ZC-32-B for the 32 ounce container that costs about $10 and makes 64 ounces when diluted (with distilled water that you buy separately). That 64 ounces would cost you only about $3 everywhere else.

• Like 2

I don't think Motorcraft even makes windshield washer fluid but the spec for my MKX is WSS-M14P19-A.

But all the folks telling you to go to Walmart or any auto parts store are correct - the brand doesn't matter.

Thank you very much! My local ford dealer is next door to the Lincoln dealer, guess I will check out that one.

WSS-M14P19-A is a specification number not a part number. A specification is a document listing the required properties of replacement parts and fluids. For example, WSS-M2C945-A is the specification for engine oil for the 3.7 V6 engine. It says things like the oil should be SAE 5W20 synthetic blend but it does not specify a brand name and you can't buy any product using that number without cross referencing the specifications to an actual product such as Motorcraft or Mobil 1 oil. Likewise, you will be unable to buy washer fluid using just its specification number - even at the dealer.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but I'll bite...

The "blue water" is windshield washer fluid that is available from any auto parts store, dollar stores and most grocery stores (yes, and Walmart). I don't think Ford sells a premix washer fluid - they only have concentrate that must be mixed with water in the correct proportions. Most dealers don't even carry that. Every dealer I've been to just carries the same stuff you can buy anywhere because the Ford concentrate is inconvenient and expensive.

There is no difference between various brands that would make a Ford or Motorcraft branded fluid even remotely worth looking for. The concentrate is part #ZC-32-B for the 32 ounce container that costs about $10 and makes 64 ounces when diluted (with distilled water that you buy separately). That 64 ounces would cost you only about $3 everywhere else.

Well, this post might look like a joke to some people (and I hope they did have fun), but I am actually serious.

The reason I am asking is that I read on my manual that the part number is ZC-32-A while this thing is no where to be found, not even amazon , and fordpart website says that they are no longer carrying that item.

The reason I did not go to Walmart is that the winter is really cold in here ( I once had a coca-cola can exploded due to the low temperature), and there is this little warning in the user's manual

"WARNING: If you operate your vehicle in temperatures below 40°F (5°C), use washer fluid with antifreeze protection. Failure to use washer fluid with antifreeze protection in cold weather could result in impaired windshield vision and increase the risk of injury or accident."

Yes, I am aware that this might just be another Ford's trick to get you to buy their product. But I wash my car regularly and hardly ever use the washer fluid, a few bucks more every year for a peace of mind is not too much a price too pay.

Thank you very much for the new part number and detailed explanation!

Best regards!

Edited by neoweb

Almost all commercially available windshield washer fluid is actually windshield washer antifreeze that is good to -40 degrees. So it's not a case of Ford trying to sell you something - they want to ensure you don't put plain water in the container because when it freezes it will damage components. But you don't have to use any Ford (or Motorcraft) branded washer fluid... just go to your local store and buy whatever brand of fluid you want. It will say on the bottle how low a temperature it can handle.

• Like 1

Almost all commercially available windshield washer fluid is actually windshield washer antifreeze that is good to -40 degrees. So it's not a case of Ford trying to sell you something - they want to ensure you don't put plain water in the container because when it freezes it will damage components. But you don't have to use any Ford (or Motorcraft) branded washer fluid... just go to your local store and buy whatever brand of fluid you want. It will say on the bottle how low a temperature it can handle.

That actually makes sense. I always thought that fluid was water when I was little.

Had a friend that early on in dirt bike riding would only buy bolts 'made' by the manufacturer of what he rode. Let's just say he's over that now :)

Now if I could just get my contact lenses patients to throw their contacts away like I and the manufacturer advise...

Edited by DRbillZ

Just note that can get to -35 celsius here in winter yet I could still buy pink washer fluid that freezes at 0C. I wouldn't take that even if it was free.

Edited by factor99

There are a few brands that sell "summer" washer fluid that is designed specifically to dissolve bug guts rather than for freeze protection. It is very useful in those situations where bug guts are the primary concern and you expect to use it up before winter. Otherwise, just check the freeze temperature listed on the label to ensure you get one that can handle the cold in your area. If none of them will work (-40 is about as low as most will go), go to the paint section of your local home improvement or hardware store and buy some methyl alcohol to add to the -40 fluid. Methyl alcohol has a freezing point of -143F or -97C so you could use it even at the south pole.

• Like 2

Actually, it's not the orange colored fluid that's the problem... it's Rain-X fluid specifically. Prestone makes an orange fluid that is safe for the sensors but there's a class action law suit against Rain-X for their specific formulation that damages certain types of sensors. Those types of sensors are found in German brands (BMW, Audi, VW, Mercedes) and Chrysler products. Ford sensors are not affected.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late to this thread but i just got back in from vacation. I wasn't aware that rain x would damage sensors. My aversion to using rain x comes from the fact it will stain your paint. Whatever crap they put in the rain x washer fluid doesn't nearly do enough of a good job of repelling water to warrant staining your paint.

• Like 2