11 Edge Limited - P0300 and P0301

pickardracing

Hi everyone, picked up our new-to-us 2011 Edge Limited 2 weeks ago, already having an issue.

Car goes fine under light acceleration but under heavy acceleration has been lightly sputtering and now today it was heavily misfiring. Engine light flashed, then stayed on. Anything over a quarter throttle and the engine misfires.

Am I safe to assume this is a coil pack or plug issue? Car has 57K on it.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum!

Unless this Edge was driven mostly in the city, 57K seems too early to have an issue with plugs/coils. The 2011+ vintage (Gen 1.5) is also known to have issues with the throttle body, FYI.

At least you have codes, pointing to cylinder 1 (passenger side, rear bank). Since you have to take off the intake manifold anyway, I would suggest changing all the plugs at the same time (inexpensive) as well as the PCV valve. The coils are a more expensive proposition, but you should check at least the 3 on the rear bank, again, since you have to rip off the intake manifold to get to them. Front 3 you can get to anytime.

Start though, by changing the air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner/electronic parts cleaner. Also check & clean the throttle body.

Thanks for the input.

I didn't have a chance to go through what you suggested here last night, but I did switch around the front left and front center coil packs (I assumed those were 1/2 or 1/3). Those two coil packs and plug heads looked brand new.

I cleared the codes and did a little running around with it last night and it hasn't reoccurred. I'll follow your instructions tonight and see what I find.

Are there any parts I'll need as far as a gasket or anything when the upper manifold is pulled?

Interesting. The front cylinders are 4, 5, and 6. The back cylinders (Pass to Driver) are 1, 2, 3. So the issue you are seeing might come back. The back bank is where most of the heat stress is concentrated. Can only access the back bank after the IM is removed.

Shouldn't need gaskets, unless they are torn or leaking. I replace them anyway (cheap). Just need the upper intake manifold gasket set.

• 2 weeks later...

If as stated you suspect the 1,2,3 coils might be of an issue. When you change the plugs move them to the 4,5,6 position. This way if they are acting up and you need to change a coil it is far easier to do if you only want to change the one that is bad.

• Like 1