22" Tire width question

Czeching

Hey Guys

Im looking at getting a new set of tires and was wondering if anyone has gone wider. Im currently looking at going from a 265/40s to a 285/35, 285/40, or maybe even a 285/45s and wondering if anyone else is running either of those sizes and maybe having issues with rubbing.

Edit: Im looking at Yoko Prada Spec-X's

Edited by Czeching

Keep in mind, heavier wheel and tire mean performance loss. I just went from stock 21s to aftermarket 20s and shaved off 96lb! Feels like an extra 50hp with the butt dyno, will test it at the track on Wed. A lot more tire choices in the 20s too.

• Like 1

96 LBS? CF wheels?

Not buying that weight reduction.

Let's see the facts/figures.

Just for fun, I went to 'Tirerack' and input my Hankook 255/50/20 stockers on my Explorer LTD -35LBS. Then I input Yokohama 'Parada Spec' 265/40/22 -35LBS!

So the 'after market' wheels you got must be 'styrofoam'.!!!

Keep in mind, heavier wheel and tire mean performance loss. I just went from stock 21s to aftermarket 20s and shaved off 96lb! Feels like an extra 50hp with the butt dyno, will test it at the track on Wed. A lot more tire choices in the 20s too.

I went from 21s to 20s which implies I got new wheels too. Tires saved me 6lb per corner, the wheels saved the rest. Look up the lightest 20" for the Edge on tirerack, just over 22lb per corner vs stock 41lb. Tires were 245/45/20 which is a bit out of standard spec, should be 245/50 but that adds 4lb each.

Edited by 037
  • Like 1