My Speaker Upgrade Install

(add disclaimers, risks and caveats here about what damage you could do or warranties you could void by installing speakers)

Based on all the research I did, I got it down to some JL Audio and the Infinity Kappa 682.7cf - and based on the overwhelming positive feedback on the Infinity Kappa model I read elsewhere I decide to do them all around. Seem to be a very well rated and highly thought of upgrade speaker that fits the Edge, but not hella expensive. Installed first set today in front doors. (Rear doors set was sadly delayed for a couple days in delivery.) Crutchfield claims they do not fit back doors, but I have it on good authority from another member here they in fact do. I suspect that Crutchfiled says 'not compatible' as you need extra room for the remote cross-over and the depth in the door is sooo close to the speaker depth, they just say no dice to be safe. But I am sure I can tackle it and get creative. I will find out in 2 days, but I trust the member here is correct as he seems to be the only other one to have actually installed these all around on the Edge like I am.

Install was easy. 1-1.25 hours from start for both front doors. 6 philips heads screws around perimeter, 1 star head bolt behind hidden circle flap at lever, 1 raised hex head bolt under rubber cover in door handle (not sure why 3 types fasteners used). Door panel pulls up and away and then angle out to get around lever. piece of cake. Then, just removed the electrical quick releases for stuff like door locks, windows, mirrors, etc. Throw door on the lawn. 4 same size star nuts as the 1 above hold the speakers. Pull those and then clipped the connection harness female head off the harness at the door wiring with enough wire to strip and prep. Attach 4 cross over wires prior to mounting in door. Put in new infinity Kappa 682.7cf and bolt down (fit perfect and lined up to holes perfect) using the little top notch for the wires routing that come from behind just like the factory did. These speakers have external cross-overs, so I zip tied to a wire bundle. Wired them up and used shrink wrap wire housing for clean install and mating to factory wires as I do not plan to remove them. TIP: These - as they are 2-way speakers - have rotating center tweeters built in, so I twisted them to point up at the seats as they mount so low and mounted so that the twist would be towards +3 setting. Pay attention to how you install speakers as those tweeters rotate 270 degrees so make sure when you rotate, it is in the direction you wish( + 0 - ). BTW, I have the Edge 9 speaker Audiophile sound system with the sub in the rear and the 190 wat amp. I may twist the rear doors speakers in a different angle then up, will wait and see when I mount them.

So, though it is hard to report with just testing in my car and I have not tested everything like CD, iPod, Sirius, I can only initially report it is a big noticeable difference. I am into treble rather than bass, crisp highs and always felt from day 1 the stock speakers were very muffled and I felt like I was listening behind a wall. So, initial impressions, with just fronts on and testing to make sure all was installed correct is very favorable and clean sound I like. I am no expert, and only recently learned that what I like is termed "highs", nor a true hardcore audiophile, but know the sound and style I like and these seem to have hit the mark. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind if time proves different. But for now, I am :yup:

I will report about rear install in a few days when I get them. I posted a few photos in my gallery for now of inner door panel and a speaker installed and the cross-over location. will post rears as well.

Enjoy.

Yeah I hate the "audiophile" sound system, and I LOVE infinity, I have their reference 6X8's installed in the CX-7 and they are so clear, the stock audio in the CX-7 is horrible.

The Audiophile system in the EDGE is the exact oppisite of how I like my music, I like high's met with super low bass.

And the EDGE sounds like, flat bass, flat, over toned mid range, and no high's what so ever even with the treble ALL the way up.

So as soon as I get completely fed up with this Audiophile S*** they put in the EDGE I'm probably going to replace everything with infinity's

Thanks for the review, it was just what I was looking for

Rear Speaker Install

100% possible. Same steps as above for door and speaker install, only real difference is where to mount the cross-over (which I zip tie hooked to the window motor which also recessed it back out of the way and put a little bit of foam sponge behind it to keep it from vibrating back against the plastic inner door molding). Did nice clean install with zip tie wires, heat shrink wrap and pow.. easy as pie. These rear speakers are tilted slightly at a laid back angle, so I twisted the tweeter to be in a position I thought best.

as for sound... wow, having only the fronts in made me see plain as day how poor the OEM speakers are for my desires. It was like a dead spot behind my head with only the fronts in. the rears completes the sound I was looking for. I need to tweak fade/bass/trebel a bit, but it sounds 100% different to me.

not sure what else to tell ya. I think the big things accomplished here were (1) verifiable proof that rears were possible to install (2) a true all around upgraded speaker choice can be had - for front and rear - and this is one option and (3) proof that it makes a big difference. I was looking at the OEM speakers (they are like 8 pound bricks) and they say just 25w on them versus 100w max on these.

I posted up images of a rear install - they should address any visual questions. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
How would 5x7 fit?

Just worried about the 2 ohm impedance on the amp. 4 ohms or more is better and I have my eye on the Polk Audio db571, 4 ohm, for about $99.99 pair.

yes.. 6x8 is correct.

I cant say about fit of 5x7..

but for 2 ohm I would not worry. If CF reccomneds them, one can feel comfortable they feel col with it and if they feel cool, I am feeling cool with it.

BTW, you can get the Infinity Kappas I got for much less off eBay. Nice thing about CF is they give you a plug and play harness and directions with their stuff. Great when installing a complicated head unit or DVD nav system with factory wiring to try to comprehend and tie to.. BUT, in this case, speaker installs are pretty easy and so I was not willing to pay extra for a harness & directions I did not need.

Here is my concern about the impedance issue taken from a text book:

One problem is that some amplifiers can't tolerate being running into a lower impedance load that was specified in the manual. By running the amplifier into too low of an impedance, you can easily overheat and destroy its power output circitry. You must determine from the manufacturers specifications what the lowest impedance is that the amplifier will safely operate into. Some amplifiers are rated with a stability as low as 0.5 ohms, but you really shouldn't use a speaker system that pushes your amplifier to its limits because you might take years off of its life.

Lex ... what was the impedance listed on the factory speakers?

I don't want to get into replacing the expensive head unit ... and it would not be under warranty!!!

yes.. 6x8 is correct.

I cant say about fit of 5x7..

but for 2 ohm I would not worry. If CF reccomneds them, one can feel comfortable they feel col with it and if they feel cool, I am feeling cool with it.

BTW, you can get the Infinity Kappas I got for much less off eBay. Nice thing about CF is they give you a plug and play harness and directions with their stuff. Great when installing a complicated head unit or DVD nav system with factory wiring to try to comprehend and tie to.. BUT, in this case, speaker installs are pretty easy and so I was not willing to pay extra for a harness & directions I did not need.

I live in Canada ... issues with duty, tax .... BROKER FEES etc ... does not make stuff south of the border cheaper in my case. Plus ... evil-bay ..... naw!

Here is my concern about the impedance issue taken from a text book:

One problem is that some amplifiers can't tolerate being running into a lower impedance load that was specified in the manual. By running the amplifier into too low of an impedance, you can easily overheat and destroy its power output circitry. You must determine from the manufacturers specifications what the lowest impedance is that the amplifier will safely operate into. Some amplifiers are rated with a stability as low as 0.5 ohms, but you really shouldn't use a speaker system that pushes your amplifier to its limits because you might take years off of its life.

Lex ... what was the impedance listed on the factory speakers?

I don't want to get into replacing the expensive head unit ... and it would not be under warranty!!!

I understand your concern.. but do you think one of the largest electronics sellers with one of the best names in the industry for consumer electronics on the web, who got its start in the car stereo arena, would knowingly advise you to buy a speaker that would damage your system?

anyway, the stock speakers are stamped 4 ohm

Lex ... talked to crutchfield and got the following answers:

2 Ohm is fine as they have contacted Infinity as well as Ford. No issues there.

The Kappa's in the rear are not recommended as the tweeter just touches the inside door panel. Make sure nothing hits the rear door panels by the speakers as you will be replacing them if they do.

I ordered Kappa's for the front and the Infinity Reference 6822cf for the rears. Gil, the Canadian rep said that this would be the best in my situation. He noted I like to turn the treble up so he got me from the Polks to the Kappa's for the front.

Edited by Jaak in TO

The Kappa's in the rear are not recommended as the tweeter just touches the inside door panel. Make sure nothing hits the rear door panels by the speakers as you will be replacing them if they do.

I ordered Kappa's for the front and the Infinity Reference 6822cf for the rears. Gil, the Canadian rep said that this would be the best in my situation. He noted I like to turn the treble up so he got me from the Polks to the Kappa's for the front.

as I just posted to your thread, and want to do here so it is known and clear...

for the record... this is absolutely, 100% not true.

I have Infinity Kappa 682.7cf in both front and rear - as you know - and they are not even close to touching the grill/door panel. not even close. CF is wrong. there is a solid 1/2 inch from Tweeter to the door panel grill.

Here is a photo. I know, it is very hard to capture this thru the grill.. but the best I can offer. No matter what, from an angle, you can clearly see nearly .5 inches of space.

post-2453-1206479766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

Hey ... that's what they told me over the phone as I had asked about these for the rears ....

no worries.. really only an issue if you badly wanted them in the rears I suppose.. you did read my install though and saw that I pulled it off perfect without any issues and made no mention of them touching the grill, but still believed CF :shades:

anyway, I am sure what you got will rock and it WILL be better than stock for damn sure. as we know, there is no way they can test all speakers in all cars (front and rear to boot)... they likely just use speaker and door panel dimensions from the manufacturer to guesstimate probable fitment - but were wrong in this case.

good luck... post back when you get them installed as then we will have another rear option for people to read about.

Lex ... no problem. At times fitment will change depending on the molds, model years and such. I ordered it from the Canadian website as there are less duties and fees than if I ordered it from the USA. The price from them is over $80 less than the retail stores BEST price. Plus their warehouse is in the Metro Toronto area ... faster free delivery.

Since we still have a ton of snow, I will have to borrow a bay at my friends Independant Porsche garage to install them ... sometime next week. Will post after install.

BTW .. I will post what size of sockets etc that was required to take the door panels apart. This info always helps ... :D

Update ... was a few degrees above freezing (+3 C and sunny) so I replaced the fronts this afternoon. I will replace the rears on Sunday as a few other things needed to be looked after.

Here is a list of tools needed to remove the door panels:

#20 Torex bit on a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 2" extension (for the speakers as well as the screw behing the door handle)

7/32" socket with a 2" extension to remove the screw under the rubber in the door pull.

#2 philips screwdriver. use a stubby on the two screws by the door hindges. A normal one on the others.

It is rather easy to remove the door panels. Easiest one yet ... almost reminds me of the cars from the 60's ...

Jaak

• 1 month later...

Have you guys seen or heard anyone that has upgraded their rear sub? I just purchased some infinity kappa682.9cf, which are the newer models of the ones you guys got, but i would also like to get a better sub, Infinity sells a FED850w subwoofer, and I wonder if that would fit? It says the mounting depth is 4-5/16"

Also, what tricks did you guys use so that you didn't break any of the white clips on the door panel?

thanks!

clip breakage is NOT an issue. at least not that I ever encountered or concerned myself with. it is not like that in this car. as I said earlier... this is as easy of a door panel to remove as any I have ever done.

there are a few guys that posted up here about sub replacement.. have to search to find them. 1 guy made a custom enclosure I recall.

what is the diff between the kappa 682.9cf and 682.7cf - I couldn't really tell looking at Crutchfield? Look a little different, cross-overs look different.. but specs seem to be the same?

I work for a company that gets Infinity accomadations, and I don't want to piss anyone off, but I'm getting the 682.9cf delivered for $36.51 a pair. They don't offer the .7s anymore other wise I would buy them. Talking to the infinity rep, the really only difference is the new crossover box, its a little smaller. Speakers have so much mark up on them its crazy. I can get the 8" infinity sub for $25.00, but I'm a liitle worried about pulling all the rear molding off. This is my first new car, and i'm trying to baby it.

The reason I want to add the new speakers is because I had a Jeep Grand Cherekee before and it had a really nice Infinity system in it. That is why when i was looking for my edge it had to have the nice audio system in. Now that I have had it for a couple of weeks, it just doesn't stand up to my jeeps system. The jeep had way better bass and mid and treble. I'm hoping by adding the infinity speakers it will help, which I'm sure it will make a huge difference. Looking at your pics lex, it almost looks like the factory speakers are a 4" driver with a 1" tweeter? Is that right? If that is the case, the infinitys should also help with the lack of base.

hey man.. can't get mad at a guy that can work an angle.. I bought mine off eBay and that was nearly half the price of retail at like Crutchfields.. so more power to you if you can work a deal. The real score would be to start to get them at 36.51 and sell them here for like $70 :) the locals get a better deal than retail and you make some coin.. :) win win for everyone

heck.. for $25 I would get that sub and if it is a no go.. sell it and still cover the cost.

Yeah, I didn't think there was much difference in spec. As for the speakers making a difference.. If it was not clear in my previous posts it made a HUGE difference. great money spent and totally different sound. like a totally different system. you'll see. not sure on the Factory as they are boxed up pt away.

FYI, I put in my New Infinity 682.9cf Kappas today. Took about 1 hour to do all four. All zip tied and looking good! Lex, the Crossovers on the .9s are about 1/3 the size. I think that might be the main difference. I hooked up my 120 gb USB drive and cranked it up. THere is no, and I mean no comparison! It sounds 100% better! The old speakers were what I thought, a 4" mid and a 1" tweeter, the new ones are a 5'8 mid and a 1.5" tweeter. Bass is better, mids and better and so is the crispness of the sound. Anyone looking to spend $225 bucks, this is worth every penny if you like to listen to music and rock out!

Still don't understand why ford wouldn't have spent a little more money and put in better speakers. They could order 100k speakers from any good manufactor and get a killer deal? Oh well, I'm happy now and good to go! Next project is installing the Curt hitch and harness! Sounds like it is going to be fun :shades:

• 4 months later...

I put in front and rear infinity kappa 682.9cf like others sugested. The sound is better then stock speakers. I would say maybe 50% improvement. Purely subjective. I notice that I seem to have to turn up volume higher then before. Maybe due to 2 ohm vs 4. I don't know. Insert with speakers assures they are ok to replace 4 ohm speakers. Plus crutchfield recommends. I was dissappointed at how the front door panels fit toward the top. Others who replaced must be more talented then me. it took me some time to get top of front door panels to fit back where they were. Rear panels came off and on easier.

To test I streamed some mp3's to sync bluetooth audio. I noticed that there is some distortion. But it is not the speakers as they sound fine with radio. It is something to do with fidelity of mp3 player or the bluetooth streaming. More to come I am going to use a cable direct to see if same. But is not speakers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wow this thread was extremely helpful for me because i finally upgraded my door speakers. so now with my JL 500w 4 channel amp + streetwires 1 Farad battery capacitor pushing my 3 12" JL w3's i added the infinity kappa 682.7's in all 4 of my doors and i must say it is a great experience when i bump my system. the highs are extremely crisp & the bass gives me a nice total body massage yet doesn't drown out or overpower the treble. i was thinking about pillar-mounting some standalone tweeters but found no need to to the superb tweeters in the infinity's. one thing thats necessary with a powerful system is to crack the windows so i can maintain air flow and i learned this the hard way. the first day i got my new sub's i turned it up and it actually cracked my windshield due to lack of air flow haha so i had to replace my windshield. i think it looks tacky with windows cracked but since it became a necessity i got some of the weathertech window deflectors in the dark tint so now it looks sharper than ever. i actually left them cracked during a heavy houston rainstorm yesterday and it was a pretty neat experience i've never had before. i turned the a/c off and let the fresh rain smell circulate throughout the car while my interior remained perfectly dry and my system bumped so loud it turned heads.