Help me disable the Horn on my 2008 Edge

kbillydj

Maybe I'm an idiot but I can't find it in the documentation anywhere. Can someone please tell me how to disable the horn when you lock and unlock the car? It is driving me nuts!

Hi kbillydj. :D According to the Edge Owners Manual (and experience), when you lock the doors with your keyfob, your horn should only sound if you press the lock button twice. If you press the lock button once, your exterior lights should blink, no horn.

In addition, when pressing the lock button on the keyfob, if any door or the liftgate is not closed completely, the horn will chirp twice and the lamps will not flash as a warning. If that happens, you need to check to be sure all doors and the liftgate are closed

Your horn should not honk at all when you press the unlock button.

If the horn is honking when you are only pressing the lock button once, or honking when you press the unlock button, you may have a problem and should see the Dealer for service.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 5 months later...

Hi kbillydj,

Did you resolve your honking issue? I just bought my Edge and mine is doing the two honks to unlock, three to lock. ANNOYING and my neighbors and their dogs are hating me.

My dealer is telling me "it's the car", that is just the way it is. No way to change it. I want to return the stupid thing, that is an annoyance I CANNOT live with.

I suppose I could disable the horn all together......??

Thanks,

Jen

Hi kbillydj,

Did you resolve your honking issue? I just bought my Edge and mine is doing the two honks to unlock, three to lock. ANNOYING and my neighbors and their dogs are hating me.

My dealer is telling me "it's the car", that is just the way it is. No way to change it. I want to return the stupid thing, that is an annoyance I CANNOT live with.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi kbillydj,

Thanks,

Jen

Are you in the U.S. or Canada? Just wondering if this is a Canadian thing. Have the dealer test a new one on the lot and see if it works the same way. If not then you have proof that yours is not working correctly. It could also be a warning (like the door ajar warning that bbf2530 referenced above) or an aftermarket alarm - although it would be quite the coincidence that 2 different people had the same one (unless it's the same dealer).

Are you in the U.S. or Canada? Just wondering if this is a Canadian thing. Have the dealer test a new one on the lot and see if it works the same way. If not then you have proof that yours is not working correctly. It could also be a warning (like the door ajar warning that bbf2530 referenced above) or an aftermarket alarm - although it would be quite the coincidence that 2 different people had the same one (unless it's the same dealer).

US! It has a KARR alarm on it BUT...they Dealer said it did not have anything to do with the alarm and that it is a function of the lock/unlock system of the vehicle. They must think I am a stupid woman (I really thought those days were over!!!!). I even pointed out that this vehicle did NOT do this on the lot, only after they installed the transmitter that is specific to my Edge (I think this is what they did). It is located under the dash by my left knee......

Do you think it actually IS the alarm? It has the exact pattern of honks as kbilly referred to....

THANKS!

Also....YES, I ran right out to see if one of the doors was ajar. And they were not. All closed up tightly.

ACTUALLY....a sales guy did manage to program it to NOT honk on the unlock. I forgot that part. So it only honks (THREE TIMES...come on, is this really necessary!!?) upon locking.

Thanks again!

Also....YES, I ran right out to see if one of the doors was ajar. And they were not. All closed up tightly.

ACTUALLY....a sales guy did manage to program it to NOT honk on the unlock. I forgot that part. So it only honks (THREE TIMES...come on, is this really necessary!!?) upon locking.

Thanks again!

Hi jenetix. :D The Dealer rep does not know what they are talking about. It is the aftermarket (KARR?) alarm causing the honking. Unfortunately you have an aftermarket Alarm System, so it works in a completely different manner than the Ford Factory System.

The Ford Factory system works as we described in our earlier posts above: No honk (lights flash once) for one click of the lock button on the remote, unless a door is ajar. Two clicks of the lock button will give one honk (and lights flash). No honks at all for clicking the unlock button (no matter how many times you hit it). Just as it is described in the Edge Owners Manual.

Were you given a manual with your aftermarket system?. If you were not, I would ask the Dealer for one. In this way, you may be able to read it and learn more than the Salesman knows.

Most aftermarket systems can be programmed for a "silent mode" for exactly the reasons you want it.

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...

If your EDGE has the factory alarm, it will honk on locking(arming) as well as when unlocking(disarming) the car. You can shut it off yourself, I just dont remember how, or you can get the dealer to do it.

Maybe someone from FORD here can help you on the how to if you post on the employee area.

As for the people who's car only honk when pressing the lock twice, and doesnt honk when unlocking...that's because you dont have the factory alarm.

Once to get the alarm chirps turned off, you can press lock and unlock as many times as you want in a row, and no noise will be made by the horn.

If your EDGE has the factory alarm, it will honk on locking(arming) as well as when unlocking(disarming) the car. You can shut it off yourself, I just dont remember how, or you can get the dealer to do it.

Maybe someone from FORD here can help you on the how to if you post on the employee area.

As for the people who's car only honk when pressing the lock twice, and doesnt honk when unlocking...that's because you dont have the factory alarm.

Once to get the alarm chirps turned off, you can press lock and unlock as many times as you want in a row, and no noise will be made by the horn.

Hi SMACKya. :D Unfortunately, your information is incorrect. The Factory system works exactly as some of us have already described in this thread (and was settled over a month and a half ago). The information I copied and pasted below (in red) is directly from the Ford Edge Owners Manual:

Locking the doors

1. Press and release to lock all the doors. The turn lamps will flash.

2. Press and release again within three seconds to confirm that all

the doors are closed. Note: The doors will lock again, the horn will chirp

and the turn lamps will flash once if all the doors and liftgate are closed.

Unlocking the doors/two stage unlock

1. Press and release to unlock the driver’s door. Note: The interior

lamps will illuminate.

2. Press and release again within three seconds to unlock all the

doors.

The Ford Edge Factory locking system does not honk the horn when you unlock the doors, no matter how many times you press the remote button.

And when locking the doors with the remote button, it does not honk on the first press of the remote lock button, only the lights flash. If you press twice within three seconds, the horn will honk on the second press (and the lights will flash again).

Also, the horn honking on the Factory System has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm. The honking only deals with the doors being locked. That's it.

The horn has nothing to do with the alarm being armed or not. Once you turn key in the ignition to the "Locked" position, the "SecuriLock Anti-Theft System" is armed. Again, the horn has nothing to do with the alarm system being armed or not. It is strictly a confirmation of the doors being locked (on the second press of the keyfob lock button).

Some functions on our vehicles can be re-programmed. The horn honking or not honking while locking/unlocking can not be re-programmed. The precise directions for what can and can not be re-programmed are in the Owners Manual.

It is all in the Owners Manual.

If your locking system behaves differently, you either have an aftermarket system, or you should make a service appointment, since your system is not working properly.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi SMACKya. :D Unfortunately, your information is incorrect. The Factory system works exactly as some of us have already described in this thread (and was settled over a month and a half ago). The information I copied and pasted below (in red) is directly from the Ford Edge Owners Manual:

Locking the doors

and the turn lamps will flash once if all the doors and liftgate are closed.

Unlocking the doors/two stage unlock

1. Press and release to unlock the driver’s door. Note: The interior

lamps will illuminate.

2. Press and release again within three seconds to unlock all the

doors.

The Ford Edge Factory locking system does not honk the horn when you unlock the doors, no matter how many times you press the remote button.

And when locking the doors with the remote button, it does not honk on the first press of the remote lock button, only the lights flash. If you press twice within three seconds, the horn will honk on the second press (and the lights will flash again).

Also, the horn honking on the Factory System has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm. The honking only deals with the doors being locked. That's it.

The horn has nothing to do with the alarm being armed or not. Once you turn key in the ignition to the "Locked" position, the "SecuriLock Anti-Theft System" is armed. Again, the horn has nothing to do with the alarm system being armed or not. It is strictly a confirmation of the doors being locked (on the second press of the keyfob lock button).

Some functions on our vehicles can be re-programmed. The horn honking or not honking while locking/unlocking can not be re-programmed. The precise directions for what can and can not be re-programmed are in the Owners Manual.

It is all in the Owners Manual.

If your locking system behaves differently, you either have an aftermarket system, or you should make a service appointment, since your system is not working properly.

Yes those functions ARE correct IF you dont have the factory alarm. I have the factory alarm with the remote start (6 button factory remote) and it works totally different to what the book says, cuz the book is refering about the KEYLESS ENTRY FUNCTION on a vehicle that is NOT equiped with the factory alarm.

Read it again... you'll see that you're right ... but it doesnt apply to the FACTORY ALARM, only to the keyless entry.

And if you think that because of this specific part of your pasted info, "Locking the doors

and the turn lamps will flash once if all the doors and liftgate are closed",

that your car has the factory alarm, you're mistaking my friend. That is just a keyless entry system.

But thank you for trying... you get points for effort.

Yes those functions ARE correct IF you dont have the factory alarm. I have the factory alarm with the remote start (6 button factory remote) and it works totally different to what the book says, cuz the book is refering about the KEYLESS ENTRY FUNCTION on a vehicle that is NOT equiped with the factory alarm.

Read it again... you'll see that you're right ... but it doesnt apply to the FACTORY ALARM, only to the keyless entry.

And if you think that because of this specific part of your pasted info, "Locking the doors

and the turn lamps will flash once if all the doors and liftgate are closed",

that your car has the factory alarm, you're mistaking my friend. That is just a keyless entry system.

But thank you for trying... you get points for effort.

Hi Smackya. First of all, if you have a six button remote, you do not have the "Factory Alarm" in your Edge. You have the Ford Accessory Remote Start/Remote Keyless Entry/Security System (i.e. it is an Aftermarket Accessory). Your system was not installed at the Factory on the Assembly Line. It was installed after the Factory Assembly Line, either in a separate staging area, or at the Dealer where you purchased. Either way, it is not a Ford Factory Alarm System. Ford Factory Alarm Systems have a four button remote.

In fact, if you had taken the time to check the Ford of Canada website, you would have seen that there is no price listed for what you have (the Remote Start/Remote Keyless Entry/Security System with 6 button remote). It tells you to "Contact Dealer for pricing". It also tells you that the system requires the "Securilock Interface Kit #4". This is because it is installed aftermarket. It is not a Factory Alarm System. You are simply ordering it when you order the car.

There is a $200 listing for the "Vehicle Security System" for vehicles equipped with the "Factory Remote Keyless". As you will read, it clearly states that this system uses the 4 button Factory Remote Keyfobs. That is the Factory Alarm System, and the Alarm System/Locking system performs exactly as we had previously answered. As you can see, I have done my research to find the correct answers to the questions. I have not just typed out a rude and incorrect answer. I treat people with respect (as long as they treat me the same way).

Next: Please go back to the first post in this thread and read the question that was asked. "Kbillydj", the OP (original poster) asked how to disable the honking from the factory door locking system. He did not ask about the Factory Alarm.

In fact, no one brought up an alarm system at all, until "jenetix" mistakenly thought that he/she had the factory alarm, when in reality they had an aftermarket alarm manufactured by "KARR".

We answered kbillydj's and jenetix's questions, over a month and a half ago. You then reopened an old thread (nothing wrong with that). What there is something wrong with is incorrectly answering a question that nobody asked (what the factory Alarm does), which will only serve to confuse anyone who wants to know how to stop their horn from honking when they lock the doors. To compound your error, you do not even have a "Factory Alarm System". You thought you had a Factory Alarm System.

If you have a six button remote, you have the Ford Remote Start and Aftermarket Accessory Alarm system. You do not have a Factory Alarm System. Unfortunately, you are mistaken.

Next: If you read my previous post correctly, you would have read the following (underlined), "Also, the horn honking on the Factory System has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm. The honking only deals with the doors being locked. That's it.

The above quote (again, underlined) already makes it clear that what I copied and pasted from the Owners Manual deals with the Locking System, not the Alarm system. Because a Factory Alarm does not honk the horn. And again, you do not have a Factory Alarm System. It is a Ford Aftermarket Accessory, installed after the Assembly line. Clearer now?

I was perfectly polite in my reply to your incorrect information. You were rude and incorrect just now.

So, as you can see, you are the one mistaken. Perhaps you can research your information better before shooting off at others. Especially before you insult others when you are wrong.

In fact, I have been very polite in some of the other posts you have created today, where you stated completely incorrect information. I merely politely corrected the misinformation you provided, without being rude or condescending.

Other than that, what I have just pointed out to you are researched and verifiable facts. I have even told you where you can find the information I have provided. And although you were wrong and rude, I have not and will not sink to insulting you.

Even if you were correct, which you were not, you still did not need to be rude. The Internet has plenty of rude individuals, how about being one of the helpful ones instead?

And before you quickly type another rude reply, how about doing some research first? I did. It would be the mature thing to do.

There are a lot of very helpful and friendly people on this forum, if you treat them with respect. So, to make what I am saying perfectly clear, if your next communication with me is a polite and mature one, I will consider what has just happened as a misunderstanding and simply "Water under the Bridge". We can then start again with a clean slate.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Smackya. First of all, if you have a six button remote, you do not have Factory Alarm in your Edge, you have a Ford Accessory Alarm with Remote Start (i.e. Aftermarket Accessory). Your system was not installed at the Factory on the Assembly Line. It was installed after the Factory Assembly Line in a separate area, and possibly even at the Dealer where you purchased. Either way, it is not a Ford Factory Alarm System. Ford Factory Alarm Systems have a four button remote.

Next: Please go back to the first post in this thread and read the question that was asked. "Kbillydj", the OP (original poster) asked how to disable the honking from the factory door locking system. He did not ask about the Factory Alarm.

In fact, no one brought up an alarm system at all, until "jenetix" mistakenly thought that he/she had the factory alarm, when in reality they had an aftermarket alarm manufactured by "KARR".

We answered kbillydj's and jenetix's questions, over a month and a half ago. You then reopened an old thread (nothing wrong with that). What there is something wrong with is incorrectly answering a question that nobody asked (what the factory Alarm does), which will only serve to confuse anyone who wants to know how to stop their horn from honking when they lock the doors. To compound your error, you do not even have a "Factory Alarm System". You thought you had a Factory Alarm System.

If you have a six button remote, you have the Ford Aftermarket Accessory Alarm system. You do not have a Factory Alarm System. Unfortunately, you are mistaken.

Next: If you read my previous post correctly, you would have read the following (underlined), "Also, the horn honking on the Factory System has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm. The honking only deals with the doors being locked. That's it.

The above quote (again, in red) already makes it clear that what I copied and pasted from the Owners Manual deals with the Locking System, not the Alarm system. Because a Factory Alarm does not honk the horn. And again, you do not have a Factory Alarm System. It is a Ford Aftermarket Accessory, installed after the Assembly line. Clearer now?

I was perfectly polite in my reply to your incorrect information. You were rude and incorrect just now.

So, as you can see, you are the one mistaken. Perhaps you can research your information better before shooting off at others. Especially before you insult others when you are wrong.

In fact, I have been very polite in some of the other posts you have created today, where you stated completely incorrect information. I merely politely corrected the misinformation you provided, without being rude or condescending.

Other than what I have just pointed out to you (facts), and although you were wrong and rude, I will not sink to insulting you.

Even if you were correct, which you were not, you still did not need to be rude. The Internet has plenty of rude individuals, how about being one of the helpful ones instead?

Good luck.

bbf you were much nicer in your response than I was, but his insults of mechanics really made me mad. He insults mechanics but much of his info is just wrong. I almost didn't respond to him, but i couldn't read post after post of his.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

@PlaybytheEdge... I actually joined this forum to thank you for your post. I tried everything including taking my recently purchased '09 Edge Sport to the dealer, but your solution FINALLY worked. They should move this to the top of the thread so no one else has to read all the way through to get to yours. My neighbors (and their dogs) thank you.