Corrosion of 18" Wheels

Edgeowner_79

The wheels on my 2007 Edge are starting to show signs of corrosion. I have the chrome-cladded wheel options. The corrosion is NOT on the chromed plastic, but rather on the edge of the wheel itself. I am guessing that the part of the wheel which is corroding is aluminum. I appears that the corrosion is underneath some sort of clear coating and has "worked its way" underneath this coating.

I only have 18k miles on the vehicle and it is not even 1 year old. While I have seen this type of corrosion on aluminum wheels before, it was not within the first year. More like 5 - 7 years and even then, not to this extent.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would assume that this is covered as a warranty item?

I also have an 07 edge with the wonderful chrome clad wheels.............NOT! Mine are corroding also. I think that wonderful chrome clad piece is trapping containments and causing this problem. I have had mine since Oct and I have 13,900 miles on mine and all four wheels look like crap. I am going tomorrow to see the dealer.

When I bought my vehicle I knew the Chrome Clad was a plastic piece glued to the wheel. I thought it would be alright. Boy was I wrong!

• 1 month later...
I also have an 07 edge with the wonderful chrome clad wheels.............NOT! Mine are corroding also. I think that wonderful chrome clad piece is trapping containments and causing this problem. I have had mine since Oct and I have 13,900 miles on mine and all four wheels look like crap. I am going tomorrow to see the dealer.

When I bought my vehicle I knew the Chrome Clad was a plastic piece glued to the wheel. I thought it would be alright. Boy was I wrong!

Had the same problem on my wifes 07 edge...with the crhome clad wheels and they peeled or corroded at the lip as wel. replaced under warranty without any questions. now It looks like at 10,000 I have a bad wheel bearing.... why didnt they just put all chrome wheels on them?????

• 2 weeks later...

[/left]

The wheels on my 2007 Edge are starting to show signs of corrosion. I have the chrome-cladded wheel options. The corrosion is NOT on the chromed plastic, but rather on the edge of the wheel itself. I am guessing that the part of the wheel which is corroding is aluminum. I appears that the corrosion is underneath some sort of clear coating and has "worked its way" underneath this coating.

I only have 18k miles on the vehicle and it is not even 1 year old. While I have seen this type of corrosion on aluminum wheels before, it was not within the first year. More like 5 - 7 years and even then, not to this extent.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would assume that this is covered as a warranty item?

I've had my Edge since last Oct. and 7,000 miles and the "lips" on my 18 inchers look like crap. I am going to my dealer this week and "complain", hopefully they will replace them!!!!!

• 9 months later...

Ford gave me new 18" wheels last summer because they were corroded from the previous winter driving. Now that winter is almost over (I live in Minnesota) I noticed the new wheels are also corroded. I haven't contacted Ford yet so I don't know if they'll keep giving me new ones or not. I'll keep you posted.