Wipers on with headlights?

Can anyone confirm this actually works on their Edge? I have a 2008 and it's not working (yet). I activate the wipers with the headlight switch set to auto or off and the headlights do not come on. This is true whether it's during the day or night and whether it's in Drive, Park or reverse.

The manual also talks about the speed-sensitive wipers: when they are on, the speed increases with vehicle speed. I don't see this on my Edge. They stay the same no matter how fast I drive and whether the selector is set to intermittant, low or high.

Thanks in advance!

My state passed a law this year requiring that headlights be on whenever your windshield wipers are in use. I saw in the Edge manual that the headlights would come on whenever the windshield wipers are on. I did not test it, however. I wonder if the DRLs are enough to satisfy the requirement?

Rick

My state passed a law this year requiring that headlights be on whenever your windshield wipers are in use. I saw in the Edge manual that the headlights would come on whenever the windshield wipers are on. I did not test it, however. I wonder if the DRLs are enough to satisfy the requirement?

Rick

Headlights due in fact come on with the wipers on, even if only in intermittent mode. As far as I know DRL's do not satisfy the law because they are at reduced power or brightness. You also want your tail lights to be lit (at least I do)

Can anyone confirm this actually works on their Edge? I have a 2008 and it's not working (yet). I activate the wipers with the headlight switch set to auto or off and the headlights do not come on. This is true whether it's during the day or night and whether it's in Drive, Park or reverse.

The manual also talks about the speed-sensitive wipers: when they are on, the speed increases with vehicle speed. I don't see this on my Edge. They stay the same no matter how fast I drive and whether the selector is set to intermittant, low or high.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Williston. :D Concerning the headlights coming on when you turn on your windshield wipers, there are three factors that affect your question:

1 - The Owners Manual reads as follows:

Windshield wiper features (if equipped with Autolamp feature)

The exterior lamps will turn on with the ignition on, headlamp control in

the Autolamp position and the windshield wipers are turned on (for a

fixed period of time).

So it would seem that first - not all Edge's necessarily have this feature. Second - if equipped, it only works in the "Auto Lamp" position. Third - They (the headlights) come on after a "Fixed period of time", not immediately. So maybe you have not waited long enough to see if they are on (just guessing here)? If you determine your Edge should have the feature and they are not working, bring your Edge in for service, and tell them the feature is not working correctly.

Concerning the "Speed Sensitive Wipers". The speed does not change dramatically. Unless you are checking the speed change with a stopwatch, I do not think you would really be able to tell the difference. If you time them and they do not seem to be changing, take the car to the Dealer and ask them to check their function.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

It definitely works on my Fusion, and it takes about 10 seconds for them to come on. Make sure the switch is in the Autolamp position and the wipers are on. Wait 2 or 3 minutes just to be safe. If they don't come on then they're defective.

This should be a mandatory safety feature on all vehicles regardless of whether they have autolamps or not. I don't care for DRLs but if everyone else in a rainstorm has their lights on and you don't then you're invisible.

Once again, thanks to all for the quick replies. I'll check it again and report back my findings. I think that the issue may be not waiting long enough for the lights to come on after turning on the wipers.

As for the speed-sensitive wiper feature: When I think about it, it did seem like there -may- have been a slight increase in the wiper speed, but you are right: hardly noticeable. I'll pay closer attention, but to be honest it's probably not something I'd bug the dealer about.

I am thinking about asking them to activate the DRL's on my car though. I do like that feature. Maybe someone knows the answer to this question: When they are activated on an Edge, are the headlights on at a reduced intensity, or are they just the full-bightness low-beams? It may not make a huge difference in getting someone's attention, but it can't hurt.

Once again, thanks to all for the quick replies. I'll check it again and report back my findings. I think that the issue may be not waiting long enough for the lights to come on after turning on the wipers.

As for the speed-sensitive wiper feature: When I think about it, it did seem like there -may- have been a slight increase in the wiper speed, but you are right: hardly noticeable. I'll pay closer attention, but to be honest it's probably not something I'd bug the dealer about.

I am thinking about asking them to activate the DRL's on my car though. I do like that feature. Maybe someone knows the answer to this question: When they are activated on an Edge, are the headlights on at a reduced intensity, or are they just the full-bightness low-beams? It may not make a huge difference in getting someone's attention, but it can't hurt.

08 Edge Limited has the headlights come on when the wipers have been turned on for about 5 minutes. Wipers do change slightly.

DRL is standard feature in canada. The light output seems a bit reduced. DRL is a feature the dealer has to program.