Question on factory TPMS

I am looking to get new rims/tires for my 07 Edge and according to Tire Racks website,if I get their TPMS for the new wheel combo, I have to "relearn" their system to work with the OEM. Does anyone know what this is all about? I don't want to use the OEM from the whhels I have now,because I'll be using them for winter only. Thanks for any input.

I am looking to get new rims/tires for my 07 Edge and according to Tire Racks website,if I get their TPMS for the new wheel combo, I have to "relearn" their system to work with the OEM. Does anyone know what this is all about? I don't want to use the OEM from the whhels I have now,because I'll be using them for winter only. Thanks for any input.

Hi Tom. :D The Tire Rack is correct. Any new sensors would need to be calibrated to your vehicles TPMS system.

If you were to purchase four new Ford Sensors and straps, the sensors would still need to be calibrated for your vehicles system. Even if you were to transfer the original sensors from your old wheels, they would likely still need to be re-calibrated, since the "Recommended PSI" of the new wheel/tire combo will likely be different than the "Factory Recommendation" (on the drivers door jamb".

If you purchase the Tire Racks TPMS sensors, are they compatible with the Ford OEM system (with their reputation for good customer service, I would assume they will be)?

Happy Easter and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

As far as I know, the TPS sensors that Tirerack and Discount Tire etc...use are actually OEM. I think I remember a tech at tirerack saying they don't seel aftermarket sensors, they are actually Ford sensors. From what I understand, you do have to reset you tpms in once you install new ones but I think it's a simple process. I will be able to let you know for sure shortly as I will be installing my new aftermarket wheels/tires next weekend and they have new tpms on them. Try calling Tirerack though...their techs are pretty knowledgeable and very helpful.

After talking to the Tire rack rep...he said that a Ford tech would have to re-set the TPMS.,they could not do it(so I would have the dash light on until I saw a Ford dealer to re-set). My question is,do I REALLY need this option? After all,it is an extra $330. I could spend a little more for tires instead. Opinions please...

After talking to the Tire rack rep...he said that a Ford tech would have to re-set the TPMS.,they could not do it(so I would have the dash light on until I saw a Ford dealer to re-set). My question is,do I REALLY need this option? After all,it is an extra $330. I could spend a little more for tires instead. Opinions please...

Hi Tom. Yes, what druck52 said is 100% correct.

The light will be an annoyance issue.

But as long as you check your tire pressures regularly and perform proper tire maintenance (as everyone should whether they have a TPMS or not) it is not a safety issue.

One of the many problems some predict the Government mandated TPMS systems will begin to cause.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530