07edge check engine light flashing

A flashing check engine is a warning that you're misfiring and dumping unburned fuel into the catalytic converters. They are overheating and can cause serious damage to themselves and anything around them that is flammable including the car itself. Read the attached snippet from the owners manual.

post-31363-0-91627100-1498735289_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Melissa:

Your DTC codes point to a defective injector, which can also cause misfiring.

My advice is to buy an inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope and check the #2 cylinder injector.

The fuel rail is a silver horseshoe shaped tube that has six injectors attached to it. The injectors inject fuel into the intake manifold just upstream of the intake valve. They are little valves that make a "clicking" sound as they open and close.

Your DTC points to a lean condition (P0171) on bank one, firewall side. Fuel-Air ratio is not optimal for combustion. But it's not rich = over-fueled.

The P0202 code points to a faulty injector, that's why you need to listen to it, because if it's not making that clicking noise or it 's noise isn't the same rhythm as the others, then it's likely to be defective. Granted it may be tough to get the stethoscope to touch the body of the injector.

P0302 means that the cylinder is misfiring. It can misfire because there is no fuel in the cylinder to fire.

Sometimes the injector is just clogged or dirty. I can be the connector or wiring too. Inspect the wires and look for broken or damaged wire. Worst case it may the PCM.

Long shot, maybe run some STP fuel treatment. I recommend that after it's fixed, you put a bottle in your tank every other month.

Happy trails.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry to dig up an older topic, but I recently had the same issue.

My check engine light went on (blinking) and the engine seemed to run a bit rough.

I brought it to a local mechanic who checked the code (fuel injector) and did a cleaning of the injector(s). He cleared the code as well.

Everything was fine for about two weeks when the check engine light went on again. So, I bought a bottle of fuel system cleaner and, low and behold, the light went off.

However, once the tank went down to 1/4 full, the light went back on. I noted that this was also when the light went back on after the mechanic cleaned the system.

I'm going to try another bottle of fuel system cleaner, but has anyone seen any correlation between the level in the fuel tank and a fuel injector issue? Note that on my way to work this morning, the light was off again, and I have not filled the tank again yet.

Thanks!

IF you got a code for the fuel injector, you should replace it. I would replace all 6 personally, get a fresh start. check codes again. May not trigger a CEL but may be stored in the PCM's memory. If you end up with a leaky injector, you could ruin a catalytic converter. A FIC product is at best a bandaid if the issue keeps coming back.

CEL flashing means notable amount of misfiring is occurring.

If you have not changed plugs yet, that is also a smart thing to do while the fuel injector (s) is/are being replaced, since the intake manifold has to be removed anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the feedback.

It's over 140,000 miles at this point, but we want to keep the Edge running for our daughter who will be getting her license in the next six months. What could we expect to pay to replace all 6 injectors plus the plugs / coils, etc? Ballpark estimate would be fine. Would just like a basis to go by before bringing it to our mechanic.

Thanks again!

It's mostly labor cost. If you don't want to buy all of the injectors you should switch the back bank to the front and replace the bad one. The back 3 injectors run much hotter than the front because they are covered by the intake manifold. I'm assuming that the bad injector is on the back bank.

I'm estimating about 3 hours labor to change the plugs and injectors but I'm just guessing. Good luck, 140,000 miles on plugs is really dangerous to the computer. Do it soon!

• Like 2