1 year- 15k miles... and still loving it OT-AMSOIL?

IowaEdge

Topic title says it all.

1 year as of Mar. 17. I now have 15,500 miles.

Blaze Copper Metallic Paint- SEL with Chrome wheels, DVD instead of sunroof.

I LOVE my car. This is the most fun I've had with a new vehicle.... Great acceleration, smooth handling.

Only had two small glitches on the Edge so far...

Had a transmission seal leak about a month ago. Woodhouse Ford in Blair, NE handled it no problem. Even gave me a rental car for 2 days for free. I would have gone to a dealer in my hometown of Council Bluffs, IA, but they told me I couldn't get a car to use. (there is only one Ford dealership in Council Bluffs, so figure out who I mean if you're from there)

Also, had some corrosion on the rims. Not the chrome part, but the outer rim part. It looks like the wheels are laminated in some sort of plastic or clearcoat, and the corrosion was under them, thus impossible to clean. Woodhouse Ford said they were starting to see some of that from 1year old Edges. Now I keep my Edge spotless most of the time, so it wasn't from being dirty. Anyway, they replaced the wheels for free as well.

Question: Anyone use AMSOIL? I'm looking into the 0w-20w oil for the Edge. I've checked with several local mechanics, and they all have given me the green light and said its GREAT stuff. I've got some on order and will try it out.

First time poster here... Looks like a great forum!

• 1 month later...
Topic title says it all.

1 year as of Mar. 17. I now have 15,500 miles.

Blaze Copper Metallic Paint- SEL with Chrome wheels, DVD instead of sunroof.

I LOVE my car. This is the most fun I've had with a new vehicle.... Great acceleration, smooth handling.

Only had two small glitches on the Edge so far...

Had a transmission seal leak about a month ago. Woodhouse Ford in Blair, NE handled it no problem. Even gave me a rental car for 2 days for free. I would have gone to a dealer in my hometown of Council Bluffs, IA, but they told me I couldn't get a car to use. (there is only one Ford dealership in Council Bluffs, so figure out who I mean if you're from there)

Also, had some corrosion on the rims. Not the chrome part, but the outer rim part. It looks like the wheels are laminated in some sort of plastic or clearcoat, and the corrosion was under them, thus impossible to clean. Woodhouse Ford said they were starting to see some of that from 1year old Edges. Now I keep my Edge spotless most of the time, so it wasn't from being dirty. Anyway, they replaced the wheels for free as well.

Question: Anyone use AMSOIL? I'm looking into the 0w-20w oil for the Edge. I've checked with several local mechanics, and they all have given me the green light and said its GREAT stuff. I've got some on order and will try it out.

First time poster here... Looks like a great forum!

I've been lurking here for a few months, we got our MKX a couple of weeks ago.

Don't see to many transmission leaks reported, just transfer case leaks on the AWD's, now the wheel problem that's a whole different story.

I appologize for the next part :beerchug: .

They call it amSOIL for a reason, check their web site. Don't take this wrong it's good oil (maybe excellent) but for some reason they won't get it API certified SSOO if you use it and something happens to your motor it's your motor not Fords (no warranty).

ab

I have been using Amsoil for years now in several vehicles from low mileage to high mileage. All engines are in GREAT shape. When samples sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis, none have failed (highest mileage was ~18K miles on a MR2 - families car)

The ARE API certified American Petroleum Institute. I dont think the 0W is certified, not according to the website.

That all being said - FOLLOW Ford's recommended schedule during your warranty and oil weight! Any deviation and Ford could deny you warranty work on your engine. Amsoil has a 7500 mile oil that I use in our Edge - it is cheaper than the long mile version.

Solas

• 1 year later...
I've been lurking here for a few months, we got our MKX a couple of weeks ago.

Don't see to many transmission leaks reported, just transfer case leaks on the AWD's, now the wheel problem that's a whole different story.

I appologize for the next part :beerchug: .

They call it amSOIL for a reason, check their web site. Don't take this wrong it's good oil (maybe excellent) but for some reason they won't get it API certified SSOO if you use it and something happens to your motor it's your motor not Fords (no warranty).

ab

I would like to respond to part of this. Auto manufacturers cannot "void a warranty" based on the Brand of oil you use, or even based on the drain intervals, as long as the intervals are reasonable. Here is how it works. The auto manufacturer comes up with specifications the lubricants have to meet. Then, any oil that meets those specifications can be used.

--Amsoil Synthetic Oils ARE API certified. Check their site. Even the 0 (zero) weight oil is API certified.

--Ford cannot, and will not, avoid a warranty based on using Amsoil Synthetic Oils. Amsoil has been around since the 1970's, and certainly would have faced this issue before, if true.

-- If you're a Ford fan, you know who STEEDA is, right? The performance parts company that sells complete cars just like Roush and Saleen? Well, STEEDA is actually an Amsoil Dealer; check out their site.

Link to documentation regarding warranties and synthetics, click this link.

Link to STEEDA's Amsoil page, click this link.

Link to the numerous racers and race series that Amsoil sponsors, click this link.

Personally, I've run a Dodge pickup for 96,000 miles without ever changing the oil, just doing oil analysis and changing filters when analysis suggested it. I did this just to prove it would work. Then I sold the pickup to my dad, who rolled it while pulling a horse trailer, so it's not around anymore.

I currently have a 2000 Neon that has 210k miles, all on Amsiol with annual oil changes only. The only engine work I've done is a proactive timing chain replacement at about 90k.

On the Ford Edge; I have also had the issue with the wheels, and the transmission seal leak. Ford fixed the leak, but hasn't replaced wheels, but now I'm going to ask them about it. I have also seen the rear taillights and backup lights fail regularly, and look "burnt" when replacing them.

If anyone wants additional information on Amsoil, see my site or email me. JL

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to respond to part of this. Auto manufacturers cannot "void a warranty" based on the Brand of oil you use, or even based on the drain intervals, as long as the intervals are reasonable. Here is how it works. The auto manufacturer comes up with specifications the lubricants have to meet. Then, any oil that meets those specifications can be used.

--Amsoil Synthetic Oils ARE API certified. Check their site. Even the 0 (zero) weight oil is API certified.

--Ford cannot, and will not, avoid a warranty based on using Amsoil Synthetic Oils. Amsoil has been around since the 1970's, and certainly would have faced this issue before, if true.

-- If you're a Ford fan, you know who STEEDA is, right? The performance parts company that sells complete cars just like Roush and Saleen? Well, STEEDA is actually an Amsoil Dealer; check out their site.

Link to documentation regarding warranties and synthetics, click this link.

Link to STEEDA's Amsoil page, click this link.

Link to the numerous racers and race series that Amsoil sponsors, click this link.

Personally, I've run a Dodge pickup for 96,000 miles without ever changing the oil, just doing oil analysis and changing filters when analysis suggested it. I did this just to prove it would work. Then I sold the pickup to my dad, who rolled it while pulling a horse trailer, so it's not around anymore.

I currently have a 2000 Neon that has 210k miles, all on Amsiol with annual oil changes only. The only engine work I've done is a proactive timing chain replacement at about 90k.

On the Ford Edge; I have also had the issue with the wheels, and the transmission seal leak. Ford fixed the leak, but hasn't replaced wheels, but now I'm going to ask them about it. I have also seen the rear taillights and backup lights fail regularly, and look "burnt" when replacing them.

If anyone wants additional information on Amsoil, see my site or email me. JL

Recently joined the Edge Forums. Just sold my AMSOIL business after 28 years albeit still LifetimeDealer. Since 1981 have never used any other lubricants and filters with total success. Better gas mileage, less maintenance, and never unwrapped a block heater on several vehicles from Totota Corolla to Class C motorhome and all in between. Since the new EaO oil filters, have only changed once per year and drive to Mexico every year - any warrany issues, GM or Ford in the past have asked me to bring in AMSOIL for refills as is "better than what they have". No complaints or problems from any of my former customers either. AB needs to learn a bit about synthetics and hope he doesn't fly as jets only use them. Keith

Amsoil 0W20 says it meets the Ford WSS-M2C930-A specification - so good to go for 7,500 miles between changes.

BTW, Ford will consider most lubrication related problems will likely be owner responsibility, no matter what oil you use and how many receipts you have. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure the correct oil and filter products are used and the maintenance schedule is followed. Too many corner lubers don't have the correct replacement filter or Ford spec'd oil and take shortcuts. :shades: