2016 Sport rattling noise - thoughts?

Just picked up my 2016 Sport with 12k on it. No accidents - its mint. At highway speeds - about 60mph, I get some rattling and wind noise on the passenger and drivers side by the pillar/windshield. I stopped and bought packing tape and sealed the joint between the pillar and windshield. Helped some but not gone. Sounds like wind noise with some light ticking thats impacted by the wind hitting the car. It also sounds down low on the passengers side - almost under the car. Very annoying!!! I am almost home from my 10 hour trip back and admit this soured the experience. Driving me nuts.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Shumax

Interesting you say that. Now Home, I crawled under there to look. On the sides, right behind each front wheel, where that shield mounts to the unibody - someone cut the shield. I think they couldnt get the fastener removed, so they cut that shield close to the fastener - on both sides.

I am trying to figure out why they would have done that - both sides are cut - driver and passenger. Also, why they would have removed that shielding in the first place. Seems odd to me. Thoughts?

I looked at the cut area and it does flap around now. I would imagine if wind got up in there, it would cause it to flutter some.

Car drives straight, is smooth and pulls hard. Got 25.6mpg on the 10 hour trip. Like the car, but that issue concerns me. I will make an appointment at Ford on Monday. Wonder what that shield costs? Looks like a big shield!

Shumax

Edited by shumax

Not a lot of traffic on this, but thought I would post an update. I crawled under today and looked it over really good. Turns out, the two baffles on the drivers and passengers side were loose. Following the "fluttering noise from undercarriage and dashboard rattle" post from CCMAYES72, I was able to quiet it down considerably - almost to the point it's gone. Going to make an appointment with Ford and see if I can get them replaced under warranty given the car only has 12k on it.

Sorry, I tried to copy and past the link to that post but it won't let me...

Shumax

Edited by shumax
  • Like 3

Not a lot of traffic on this, but thought I would post an update. I crawled under today and looked it over really good. Turns out, the two baffles on the drivers and passengers side were loose. Following the "fluttering noise from undercarriage and dashboard rattle" post from CCMAYES72, I was able to quiet it down considerably - almost to the point it's gone. Going to make an appointment with Ford and see if I can get them replaced under warranty given the car only has 12k on it.

Sorry, I tried to copy and past the link to that post but it won't let me...

Shumax

Thanks for the info. I have been hearing something similar on my 16 Edge SEL. When I change the oil later this month, will investigate that a little more closely

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 2011 MKX with 60000kms that just recently purchased. The next day I got a "Shift To Par" error when the car was actually in park, so I brought it in for service and thats when the rattling/ buzzing noise happened began. It happens at speeds of 60-80km per hour. It sounds like its coming from behind the centre front compartment (where the SD cards in USB connectors are). I completely removed the console and placed foam everywhere I could think the noise could be coming from, but I haven't had any luck fixing the problem

Has anyone experience something similar? Please Help! Its driving me crazy!!!