Automatic Climate Control Operation

Recently purchased a 2007 Edge SEL Plus AWD. I have noticed that the automatic climate control does not operate the same way that the automatic climate control operates in my 2003 Mercury Marauder.

In the Marauder, all I have to do is set the temperature I want. It does not matter if it is hot or cold out. If I set the temp to 70 degrees in the summer, the A/C comes on automatically if needed with no other action from me. If in winter, the heat comes on.

I have noticed that with the Edge, in order to get the A/C to operate, I have to press the A.C button. In other words, if I set the temp to 70 degrees and it is 85 degrees out and the interior is hot, I have to press the A/C button to get cooling. Otherwise, everything works as expected.

Is this correct? Do you have to press the A/C button with the automatic climate control to get cooling?

Recently purchased a 2007 Edge SEL Plus AWD. I have noticed that the automatic climate control does not operate the same way that the automatic climate control operates in my 2003 Mercury Marauder.

In the Marauder, all I have to do is set the temperature I want. It does not matter if it is hot or cold out. If I set the temp to 70 degrees in the summer, the A/C comes on automatically if needed with no other action from me. If in winter, the heat comes on.

I have noticed that with the Edge, in order to get the A/C to operate, I have to press the A.C button. In other words, if I set the temp to 70 degrees and it is 85 degrees out and the interior is hot, I have to press the A/C button to get cooling. Otherwise, everything works as expected.

Is this correct? Do you have to press the A/C button with the automatic climate control to get cooling?

Hi bluesky. No, that is not correct. You need only press the "AUTO" button.

The operation of the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) System is explained in detail in the Owners Manual.

I have an MKZ, so I am not sure what pages cover the ATC System in the Edge Manual, but here is an excerpt from the online Manual concerning the A/C and "AUTO" buttons:

7. A/C: Press to activate/deactivate air conditioning. Use with

recirculated air to improve cooling performance and efficiency. Engages

automatically in AUTO, (defrost) and (floor/defrost).

13. AUTO: To engage automatic temperature control, press AUTO and

select the desired temperature using the temperature control. The

system will automatically determine fan speed, airflow distribution, A/C

on or off, and outside or recirculated air, to heat or cool the vehicle to

reach the desired temperature.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi bluesky. No, that is not correct. You need only press the "AUTO" button.

The operation of the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) System is explained in detail in the Owners Manual.

I have an MKZ, so I am not sure what pages cover the ATC System in the Edge Manual, but here is an excerpt from the online Manual concerning the A/C and "AUTO" buttons:

automatically in AUTO, (defrost) and (floor/defrost).

13. AUTO: To engage automatic temperature control, press AUTO and

select the desired temperature using the temperature control. The

system will automatically determine fan speed, airflow distribution, A/C

on or off, and outside or recirculated air, to heat or cool the vehicle to

reach the desired temperature.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Yes, I know what the owner's manual says. I always read it thouroghly. That is why I am puzzled as to why my system is working the way it does. I would like to hear from someone that can actually confirm that the system works the way the manual says before I take it to the dealer and they tell me otherwise.

Yes, I know what the owner's manual says. I always read it thouroghly. That is why I am puzzled as to why my system is working the way it does. I would like to hear from someone that can actually confirm that the system works the way the manual says before I take it to the dealer and they tell me otherwise.

As long as you're in full auto mode (and the auto mode led is on) then the A/C should come on automatically as needed. Try hitting Auto just to be sure, then set the temp and check the air temp coming out of the vents after a minute or so. If the air isn't cold then it sounds like a problem.

It's entirely possible that the A/C is on even though the light isn't lit. That's how my 2000 Lincoln LS worked (they reprogrammed it later due to driver complaints).

As long as you're in full auto mode (and the auto mode led is on) then the A/C should come on automatically as needed. Try hitting Auto just to be sure, then set the temp and check the air temp coming out of the vents after a minute or so. If the air isn't cold then it sounds like a problem.

It's entirely possible that the A/C is on even though the light isn't lit. That's how my 2000 Lincoln LS worked (they reprogrammed it later due to driver complaints).

Last Friday it was about 85 degrees in Northern Vifginia. I normally run the temp at 70 degrees. I shut the entire system down and let the car interior get good and hot. I then started the car and pressed "Auto" and set the temp to 70 degrees. I let it run for several minutes that way. No cold air came out UNTIL I pressed the A/C button even though the system was in Auto. We have had the car since the 3rd week of February. My wife claims that the A/C came on in Auto mode a couple of times without pressing the A/C button but it has not worked that way for me. Is there anything that I can look at before I take the car into the dealer's. I hate when they say "They all work that way." and you know that is bogus. To be honest, I know more about cars then your average service advisor. Obviously, I will have to wait until it is hot consistantly outside, which won't be long. At least I have A/C. Better than not working at all, I guess.

Hi bluesky. :D Sorry, maybe my post was a bit too confusing. I have a 2007 MKZ . The same HVAC system is in the Edge, MKX, MKZ, Fusion and Milan (just different cosmetic button layouts). I can confirm that the system works exactly as described in the Owners Manual (for 2007 models).

On my car, if you have the system set to "AUTO", the "AC" light also comes on, and stays on whether you have the temp set to 60 or 85. Sorry for the question, but are you sure that the "AC" light does not light up anywhere in the face of the system when you have "AUTO'" engaged?

Additionally, if you press particular buttons after setting the system to "AUTO", the system will switch to manual mode and the settings can/will change (a little hard to explain in writing, need to read the Manual closely).

If your system is working properly, I can only guess that possibly it was not on long enough to begin cooling?

Otherwise your A/C system is not working properly, and a trip to the Dealer will unfortunately be needed.

Just as a side note, this is why we have told other forum members who are complaining about low fuel mileage not to drive around with the HVAC system constantly set to "Auto", since it activates the A/C compressor. and lowers MPG's.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Love your '64 Galaxie. :happy feet:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi bluesky. :D I just checked my neighbors 2007 Fusion SEL (V-6). Her system also worked as described above.

When it is set to "AUTO", the "AC" light also illuminates, and stays illuminated no matter what temperature the system is set to.

Hope this information may help.

And again, in case you did not see the PS above, beautiful '64 Galaxie! :shades:

Edited by bbf2530

In the Owner's Manual it says: (Describing the A/C button)

automatically in AUTO.

If yours is not engaging automatically, there is a problem.

Ask your service advisor to run Oasis on your VIN and code the inquiry for Climate Control issues.

Hi bluesky. :D Sorry, maybe my post was a bit too confusing. I have a 2007 MKZ . The same HVAC system is in the Edge, MKX, MKZ, Fusion and Milan (just different cosmetic button layouts). I can confirm that the system works exactly as described in the Owners Manual (for 2007 models).

On my car, if you have the system set to "AUTO", the "AC" light also comes on, and stays on whether you have the temp set to 60 or 85. Sorry for the question, but are you sure that the "AC" light does not light up anywhere in the face of the system when you have "AUTO'" engaged?

Additionally, if you press particular buttons after setting the system to "AUTO", the system will switch to manual mode and the settings can/will change (a little hard to explain in writing, need to read the Manual closely).

If your system is working properly, I can only guess that possibly it was not on long enough to begin cooling?

Otherwise your A/C system is not working properly, and a trip to the Dealer will unfortunately be needed.

Just as a side note, this is why we have told other forum members who are complaining about low fuel mileage not to drive around with the HVAC system constantly set to "Auto", since it activates the A/C compressor. and lowers MPG's.

PS - Love your '64 Galaxie. :happy feet:

No, no confusion.

In Auto mode, my A/C light does not appear to come on unless I press the A/C button. Then it appears to stay on all the time, even after shutting the system down (Pressing the "OFF" button) and then turing it back on with the Auto button, or turning the car off entirely then turning it back on.

I will have to wait until it is consistantly warm out (I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt yesterday, long pants and sweatshirt today.) and monitor what it does.

Hi bluesky. :D I just checked my neighbors 2007 Fusion SEL (V-6). Her system also worked as described above.

When it is set to "AUTO", the "AC" light also illuminates, and stays illuminated no matter what temperature the system is set to.

Hope this information may help.

And again, in case you did not see the PS above, beautiful '64 Galaxie! :shades:

Thanks. That's exactly what I need to know.

Thanks for the compliment. The RED 1964 Galaxie is my baby.

In the Owner's Manual it says: (Describing the A/C button)

automatically in AUTO.

If yours is not engaging automatically, there is a problem.

Ask your service advisor to run Oasis on your VIN and code the inquiry for Climate Control issues.

Thanks. I will do that once it warms up again and I take the car in.

Just an update:

Yesterday and today I noticed that the A/C light was coming on by itself in Auto mode. Where I park at work is in a garage, but by an outer, open wall. In the afternoon, the sun lights up the front end and windshield of the Edge. Both days, even though it was only in the 50s-60s, the A/C light came on in Auto mode when I started the car to drive home from work. In the morning and after dark, it went out.

Now I just have to wait for a good hot day for the interior to get nice and hot and see what happens. Last week when I did this, the A/C did NOT come on automatically in Auto mode.

Thanks for the good question. I also was wondering that. I run mine in Auto 99% of the time and leave it set to around 67 68 69ish. When it is good and warm inside the A/C light comes on by itself. About the only thing I touch is the Seat Warmers.

Oh by the way. I just drove from Moscow Mills MO to Champaign IL. I got 25.7 avg MPG. I always run B-P Premium Fuels and drive with my foot and NOT the cruise control. I can nurse the heck out of fuel in this baby. My AVG MPH was 47.

Then again I am 47 years old and drive conservatively. I punch it when I need to, and occasionally like twisty roads at the brink of disaster speeds. This is No sports car but for a 4800 lbs vehicle it is a lot of fun.

I have noticed that driving 65 mph does not achieve good fuel economy.

As I think about it, it would make sense from a CAFE standpoint not to have the A/C automatically come on unless the temperature sensor reached a predetermined level of interior temperature. Not what the owner's manual suggests, but why run the A/C compressor if it is not needed to cool the interior or dry the defroster air flow?

Let us know if you take it in and what they said about it.

As I think about it, it would make sense from a CAFE standpoint not to have the A/C automatically come on unless the temperature sensor reached a predetermined level of interior temperature. Not what the owner's manual suggests, but why run the A/C compressor if it is not needed to cool the interior or dry the defroster air flow?

Let us know if you take it in and what they said about it.

In previous Ford vehicles the A/C was always on until the temp reached the 30's. It was done to dehumidify the air. It must not affect CAFE very much.

Been sunny and pretty warm in Northern Virginia today. The interior got quite warm a couple of times today sitting in the sun. In each case, the Auto Climate Control behaved as in the owners manual. Who knows, maybe my earlier problems were due to operator error. :headscratch:

In any case, this will be my last post on the subject unless something changes. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

mine seems to work correct

got in car and I have it set to Auto all the time

I set the temp to 60 as I was hot.. AC comes on and away I go with the push of no other button

Then, I get chilly so I set the temp to 70 and the AC shuts down

so once I set the temp I want and have it set to Auto.. it seems to come on and go off as needed