Adding Remote Access to 2013 edge xlt

Hello, I am attempting to add the RMU to my 2013 Ford Edge. I do not have factory remote start but wanted RMU. I purchased the kit from my friend Benny at Levitown.

I had to add the hood switch ( factory cable prsent so easy plug in and hole was present) and also of course the VSS and RMU boxes with T cable.

Here is THE PROBLEM: The Dealer said I have to install the antenna cable for remote start or he cannot turn on the Remote start in IDS. He said he gets a warning and he won't bypass it..

I tried using FORScan.. I can communicate and see the BodyControl module doesnt even show enable remote start as an option.

I have FS extended license and I know the tool works as I have used it with my 15 exp sport to change options.

Questions: Does the hood switch have anything to do with the BCM showing options etc.? Do I have to do anything to enable the hoodswitch and if so where?

Is IDS at a dealer the only way to fix this? Can a ford Tech check the hood switch?

NOTE.. the RMU and VSS operate normally otherwise as i can lock and unlock and locate the car as the RMU is activated and operational through Cell.

I appreciate any and all input. I am at witttttttts end ... it is very cold in upstate NY and we want to use this during winter as this is why we purchased.

Id love to talk to one of you experienced folks if you'd be willing.

Yes, at a minimum you need the aerial antenna (100 series) plugged into the TPMS. Then the options will show up in IDS or FORScan (BdyBCM).

For some reason I cannot link directly to the instructions, but google 2011_2015_Scalable_Kit_Truck_1_23_2015_.pdf" and youll see the file on the Levittown site.

Look on page 66 for TPMS requirement if your car didnt have factory remote start.

• Like 1

So TPM antenna kit is required ( RMST antenna kit is different and NOT needed correct ?) . SO if we plug in the antenna to the TPMS on this 13 edge it will enable the start function ( even though we don't have rmst) ? Interesting.

THANKS gents I will look it up and see what we do...

Is the TPMS in back left rear panel ?

Edited by expoman55

Once you install the aerial (yes, its the drivers side rear panel in the cargo area) into the TPMS you can then enable it in FORScan (or have your dealer do it in IDS).

If you want long range, bi-directional or remote access then you will need to buy the VSS box and connect that (y adapter) in-line with your OBD port.

As the TPMS based remote start is only line of site (100 or so), a security system isnt needed (Fords logic, not mine). For the other options, it is.

This thread should help you sort it out: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17035-adding-oem-remote-start-kits-parts-explained-detailed-2011/page-1

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

Thanks guys..YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME and generous with information and it is greatly appreciated.

Yes Benny has been working with me. Honestly he doesn't understand why we need the TPM antenna as we are installing the RMU/VSS with OBDII T cable kit etc. This is for cellular access only and not key fob as they are limited distance. ( I.e. RMST)

Benny has had many folks install I guess this is a first that has not had the TPM antenna. Crazy as it is.. So we have ordered it and hope it will enable the Remote start option to show up in Forscan as of now it does not.

One more question. I have installed the Hood Switch and hooked up the factory wiring that was in truck already. Do you guys know if I have to go into FORscan anywhere and enable the hood switch. I have done the VSS learning with car already.

The instructions specific to the edge do not call out any activation of the switch.. BTW the RMU is already activated by Benny only function is the remote start that hasnt been activated it..

THANKS again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my 2013 edge remote start, Needed 5 button keys, Had cut at a reputable locksmith, Hood switch Plug was there and waiting, Antenna in rear did not remove the driver side panel, pulled out far enough to feel for the plug and saw where to mount.. the FORscan with ELM from amazon. used a wifi one.

FORscan

BCM

726-19-01 was 0047 changed to 0148. Remote Start worked

IPC

720-01-03. was 002B changed to F823. Remote Start shows under Vehicle Settings, can set climate controls, seats etc.

I have a SLE So Heated Seats and Climate controls so the F823, Base models might be C8F3 No heated seats? and F727 if you have heated Steering wheel.

FORscan ELM327 OPH $29.99

DA8Z-19G364-A 5 button keys. $241.95

BT4Z-19G366-A Hood Switch. $17.08

DA8Z-15603-A Antenna Kit. $25.30

Shipping $8.91

Boom all good, thanks to all that helped, info was sourced from this site and the explorer forum website.

Edited by Tim Mallon
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...