‘14 Edge HID kit

I know there are some topics about this, but I just wanted opinions.

I am ready to add a HID kit to my 14 Edge and am wondering what the best kit is to purchase. I previously had a Civic and had a Xenon HID kit that still works today(sold it to a buddy). But it seems the Xenon kit for the Edge has the 5000k bulb and the Morimoto kit has the 4300k. I prefer the 4300 as thats what my Civic had and loved the whiteness color of the light. Anyone order the Xenon kit and able to get it with something other than the 5000k?

Any opinions and help would be greatly appreciated. Prefer one model/brand over another?

4300K is actually a little yellow. 5000K is considered pure white while 6000K is "crystal" white (some blue tint). 4300K is used by OEMs because it is the most effective color for lighting but if whiteness is your goal then 5000K will be the most white without yellow or blue tint. But if effective lighting is the goal, Nick is right - Morimoto is among the best in the market and Diode Dynamics also has 4300K available.

• Like 2

4300K is actually a little yellow. 5000K is considered pure white while 6000K is "crystal" white (some blue tint). 4300K is used by OEMs because it is the most effective color for lighting but if whiteness is your goal then 5000K will be the most white without yellow or blue tint. But if effective lighting is the goal, Nick is right - Morimoto is among the best in the market and Diode Dynamics also has 4300K available.

Looks like Morimoto will be the choice then. Thanks.

Is your goal to be the prick driving around blinding everyone else on the road? Stick with your stock lights dude.

The new guy really wants to stir things up in his first couple of posts. Perhaps he should educate himself before making such obnoxious comments. HIDs in halogen reflector lamps are certainly a problem but, although not ideal and not as good as a proper HID projector, HIDs in halogen projector lamps are generally not unsafe - there are plenty of threads on the subject dude.

• Like 1

Looks like Morimoto will be the choice then. Thanks.

Probably the same choice I would make today but I still have a set of $40.00 35/5000 DDM's in my 2011 that are still going strong after 5 years. I even purchased an extra set to have spare parts but haven't needed to use them yet. I am starting to wonder if I should change out the bulbs cuz I think I've read they dim over time. No matter what kit you go with, I would suggest a nice beefy waterproof harness with separate relays for durability and saftey reasons. It's also a good idea to keep your halogen bulbs in the vehicle just in case. It would kinda suck to lose your headlights during a long dark road trip.

• Like 1

HID lamps do dim over time but not to a significant degree. The biggest indicator of HID lamps needing replacement is the color shift - they will gradually shift toward the blue/violet end of the spectrum. They also can start to cycle on and off due to the increased voltage needed as an older capsule gets hot (capsule heats up, voltage required exceeds ballast capabilities so it shuts off, inactive capsule cools down requiring less voltage, starts up again and the cycle repeats). Some of the better ballasts will recognize cycling and stop trying to restart the arc after a couple of cycles.

• Like 2

That's actually a nickname I got at work way back when a lot of companies considered you qualified for an IT position if you owned a home PC, so someone who actually knew the technology was a wizard. It stems from the Arthur C. Clark quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

• Like 2

I have a 2015 se and put in HIDS, I have never been flashed by anyone and live in a major city. However, I did have to put in capacitors because although they worked when I installed them, they would turn off when I turned on the engine. Just a heads up.

• Like 1