2011 Edge SEL APIM Dead - Part question

Hi, I have a 2011 Edgw SEL. I have had issues with the MFT from week two after we got the Edge new. Last week the MFT 8" had the Black Screen of Death and did not reboot as it has done in the past by disconnecting the battery, Fuse or main line to the fuse block. I wish I had known about the FSAN: 12M02. I would have been at the dealer the next day they opened the door back in 2014.

I have pulled the APIM out and see PN: BT4T-14D212-AJ on the screen plug side of the APIM and BT4T-14F239-CJ on the cables plug side of the APIM. In FSAN: 12M02 states PN: ---- 14D212 ---. Will any APM with the 14D212 in the middle work? I have my As Built data from Ford web site. Forscan states Part number: BT4T-14D212-AJ (latest known: EA5T-14D212-GA). Do I need to look for a EA5T-14D212-GA? Can not find that...

I was at the dealer getting oil change and walked over to the Parts Department. They told me I needed a PN: BT4Z-14D212-AC. This number goes to an Explorer and not an Edge as I look on the Parts web site. I also can not find one on ebay. Again, is all that matters the 14D212 in the part? I want to do the used part from like an ebay pull due to the cost.

What APIM's will sub for this one? After learning I would like to also have one I can program the tire pressure to and ad the NAV code and put in a A8 map SD.

Info:

2011 Edge SEL

70K Miles

My Ford Touch Gen 2 8"

Forscan Info:

Model: Ford Edge

Engine: TiVCT
Capacity: 3.5L
Year: 2011
Generation: 2011 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Automatic
VIN: 2FMDK3JC9BBA41259

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: BT4T-14D212-AJ (latest known: EA5T-14D212-GA)
Strategy : BT4T-14D205-CD

Thanks for the help!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Mrgumby80

You can upgrade it with minimal effort on your part (you assume any risk): https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71250920&postcount=834&nocache=1

Keep in mind, the nav license is for 3.08 and this update may remove it. I would stay on 3.08 as 3.10 has no tangible benefits. You can simple insert the a8 card and you will have the newest maps.

Youll need to put in your configuration via forscan to program it (I can help if need be). Youll need the OBD adapter.

I dont see why it wouldnt power up as youd be getting a new APIM (unless your problem is something else).

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

I have a Ford Edge and also Ford Escape. The problem is with my Ford Escape... I need preferably a used Sync module for my 2015 Ford Escape SE 1.6L turbo SUV. The VIN. is 1fmcu0gx6fub18734. It was manufactured in Jan. 2015. My system is the basic 4" screen w/out nav. The sticker on my Ford Sync module is # FJ5T-14D212-AA. I've done a little research and apparently there are a few out there with slightly different part numbers that may work. My question is, does anyone know the other part numbers that are compatible with my stock APIM module and when I install a used compatible unit in my vehicle, will it need to be reprogrammed by the dealer or can I do it myself? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Just for background info...

The Ford part numbering system consists of a prefix, a basic part number, and a suffix. The prefix consists of characters that represent the year and model of the first vehicle the part was used on. The last letter in the prefix designates the engineering group for production line parts and is always Z for service replacement parts. That means that the part number on the part on the car will not be the part number you would get over the counter from the dealer. The basic part number is 4, 5 or 6 character code that is just a part type designation - for example, every big block engine intake manifold will have 9425 for its basic part number. The suffix is a one or two letter code that indicates specific applications, colors or production changes. Sometimes you will have interchangeability between different letters because they are production changes (they don't affect fit) but other times the letter shows application differences... using the intake manifold example, they would be different manifolds for the various engines available in the same model vehicle and may or may not physically fit interchangeably.

The point being that you can't determine interchangeability just by the basic part number since all vehicles that have similar Sync modules will also have the same 14D212 basic number. They may be interchangeable but they may not. And the part number on the part can be helpful when buying used parts but will not match the number you find in a parts catalog. So it's best to check with people who have done the swap or with your local parts department to determine whether a particular part will work for you.

• Like 4

Thanks very much "Mr. Wizard" for the excellent explanation! Taking what you have explained, if my "factory" part number on my old sync box is FJ5T-14D212-AA and I have found a good use one with the number EJ5T-14D212-AA (only the first character in the prefix is different) there is a reasonable chance that it will work in my vehicle as a replacement? If so, I assume I would still have to go to the dealer to have it programmed to my VIN #? Thanks again!

• Like 1

The part numbering scheme changed at the end of the century so where the prefix used to start with a letter and a number that represented the model year by decade and year (e.g. C7 meant 1967), now the first letter represents the model year first used and the next two characters represent the model. That means that your FJ5T part is a year newer than the EJ5T part. That doesn't mean that they are incompatible because the year code represents the first year that the part was used - it doesn't get updated if the same part gets used in a newer model. But there must be something different about them - it could be something meaningless like a different supplier, it could be a difference in features such as with nav or without, or it could be something different enough that they would not be interchangeable like having a different electrical connector (unlikely).

Normally you would have to get the APIM programmed to your vehicle but there are places you can buy them online where they program it before shipping so you can just plug it in when you get it. Check out 4dtech.com if you're interested in that. They guarantee compatibility and will even add nav if you want it.

• Like 2

Thank you again Sir. So I think I'm now armed with enough information to be dangerous. :) Based on the prefix EJ being possibly a year older technology, I think I'll hold out to find one with the newer technology FJ prefix, although I've had zero luck so far finding one... I actually did find another number that all the used parts houses indicate is also interchangeable. It is ES7T-14B428-AA but more of the characters are different and it may not be any newer...

The other number you found is a year older ("E" code = 2014) and for a different model ("S7" = Mondeo/Fusion). Neither of those necessarily mean that the part won't work - it's quite common for parts to be used across model lines and the part number indicates only the first model it was used in. But the thing that would concern me is that the base number is different, indicating it's a different part. That could mean that it's a larger assembly or kit that includes the part you need or it could mean that it's an entirely different design, so I agree that you probably shouldn't take the chance. Most electrical and electronic parts are not returnable so you could get stuck with an expensive door stop.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the APIM is separate from the screen.

The APIM will universally work with any ford (as long as it was for an OEM 8 MFT/Sync 2 system). Youll need the dealer (or you can very easily do it yourself using FORScan) to program it to your cars as built specs (you can download the .ab file from Ford).

The screens themselves are different, depending on the vehicle (the side bezels differ). Edge, explorer, flex, Taurus and a few of the pickups share the same screen mount.

My MFT APIM from my 2012 was CT4T-14F239-AB.

Thanks, Candurin, mine is the 4" screen so I guess that is 1st or 2nd generation APIM (I'm ok with it, would just like to get my Sync stuff working)? I just found a used APIM online with the "exact" part number match that is labeled on my defective one (YEA). You mentioned that I can program it with ForScan. I'm a real newbie at all this. Is there a post or forum that would step me through this process? I believe I have to buy an OBD adapter to plug into my laptop. Is the Forscan software very expensive? Thanks again!

PS. I had to get a replacement Airbag module as well (my vehicle took on some water so it fried the AB module and the APIM both) can the AB module also be programmed with the ForScan?

Edited by jallen0946

Thanks, Candurin, mine is the 4" screen so I guess that is 1st or 2nd generation APIM (I'm ok with it, would just like to get my Sync stuff working)? I just found a used APIM online with the "exact" part number match that is labeled on my defective one (YEA). You mentioned that I can program it with ForScan. I'm a real newbie at all this. Is there a post or forum that would step me through this process? I believe I have to buy an OBD adapter to plug into my laptop. Is the Forscan software very expensive? Thanks again!

PS. I had to get a replacement Airbag module as well (my vehicle took on some water so it fried the AB module and the APIM both) can the AB module also be programmed with the ForScan?

I took the time to track down a replacement APIM for you that is an exact match and requires no programming and yet you are not going to get it?

FORScan is free and the OBD adapter can be purchased for $30 or so on amazon. Just download your as built data and load it into FORScan and send it to your APIM with the adapter. 10-15 minutes of effort and your good to go.

Im out on business until tomorrow, but do some googling and look in the mods section and youll see how to get it done. If you cant find the links, Ill send some later this week.

Theres also a few links in this sub. All APIMs either start as a clean state if you buy new or they are programmed for the donor vehicle they came from.

Like I said already, the APIMs are simply loaded with your vehicles as built data, generated at the factory, linked to your VIN.

Its not plug and play but not much more difficult than that. Your local dealer should be able to do it in IDS for 30-60 minute labor charge, assuming you swap out the APIM yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks, Candurin! It sounds like a newbie like myself could even do this. I'll look on Amazon for a OBD adapter. With your great explanation, I could even acquire build data from a vehicle with more options than I currently have and load those.

BTW, my vehicle had some water get inside and damaged this APIM and my Restraint module. I've already installed a replacement restraint module and my airbag light went off immediately (no programming) however my traction control and hill assist not available is still on. Could this be from the faulty/fried existing APIM? Thanks again! John

• 3 weeks later...