Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

Good thing I ordered up those 8 ABS intakes yesterday. I just got a call from the plastic shop today that the price of the ABS  is going up over $10 per sheet. The shop said they would honor the old price on this run, but not on the next run. No matter what happens now,  the price will never be this low again, and I have 5 Black ABS V2 intakes available at the old price.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

20210426_150423.thumb.jpg.cef2b942024e8ba01b94da6ed76d896b.jpgfinally installed the intake, everything went smooth the only thing for me was like 2 holes didnt line up but managed to get the clips in either way, now I'm cleaning my afe filter once its dry I'm going to put it back in and take a lil drive, but it does look dope shouldve gotten the carbon fiber one ??‍♂️

• Like 2

The plastic shop just called and the 8 ABS V2 intakes are ready to be picked up. Only problem is that I have been messing with the air box project lately and I have been taking my OEM box in and out of the car a lot. Last night my car started running strange and It put up a check engine light. I believe it is the sensor wires as they are small and delicate.   So I cannot pick up the intakes until I fix the car. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Fixed the car and picked up the ABS intakes. Putting  the air box project on hold this week while I trim and ship the intakes . I will be molding 5 Carbon intakes when the material arrives , and  only 2 or 3 are available as the rest are spoken for. These may be the last carbon intakes made as the mold needs to be reconditioned. After the mold is fixed up production  of the ABS units will continue.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Xtra said:

Duece, Thanks for posting the install videos they are very helpful. Glad you like your intake. :)

J_guira  Thank you for the write up and the photos. It is important for others to see . And I like that red Ford emblem you got there. :2thumbs:

No problem my pleasure! And thanx I did the whole black and red theme for a more aggressive look, black gloss powder coat wheels with red calipers, got the h&r springs havent installed it yet just waiting on my rdx vario-x front splitter to get here from Europe so I can install everything together but yea I have a few things to do to this lil beast, let us know how that intake box comes along I'll most likely purchase 1 ?

• Like 1

The mold is having some unexpected problems. Apparently because I did not de-gas the resin before using it . The trapped air is what is causing small cracks everywhere. When the mold is under vacuum these small air bubbles try to escape causing the cracks. There is no cure for this and I will just have to keep refreshing the mold . I needed a vacuum chamber to put the mixed resin into to de-gas it before use to prevent this. The answer is to use the fiberglass mold to create a cast aluminum one. An aluminum mold would be permanent and won’t be affected by heat buildup when doing a run of intakes. Problem is the cost may not be inline with the demand.  Between the casting and machining it would cost several K . 

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

Firstly, Huge thank you to Xtra. This, I imagine, was a bigger task than he anticipated.

I believe this project has met, if not exceeded everyone's expectations. Well done Sir!

Aesthetically, it is a big difference. This intake classes up the engine bay substantially, where before it was pretty bland and lackluster to be honest.

Functionality of the intake has yet to be tested, and look forward to what other peoples results are (temps or otherwise) after install.

As for the install itself, It really couldn't be more straight forward. If you know how to access your hood release lever and open your hood, you can do this install! its that easy lol! ?

One or two of the holes weren't perfectly centered, but the clips will go in without struggle (in my experience). 

A quick before and after:

PXL_20210427_200156141_MP.thumb.jpg.a0423c85cc1fb073bdf63c5937b0bc99.jpgPXL_20210427_202107243_MP.thumb.jpg.e76f62308439c90e51fa08d2283a5141.jpg

A little closer up, loving the carbon look

PXL_20210427_202116500_MP.thumb.jpg.f7302d8aa82b84598f450f5062e76b04.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tyyrael said:

Have any left? I would like to purchase one

Yup bet,  I will always have the ABS intakes available. It is the carbon fiber intakes that are on the endangered list. I get the carbon material by piggybacking on a large company’s order. As such I have to wait for that big company to place an order to receive my 4 or 5 sheets. They cost so much that I cannot afford to buy a bunch to stock up on it. I guess as long as no one is in a rush then it is all  good. I just have to keep the mold in tiptop shape.that means refreshing it after every 2 or 3 runs. Because  is made of fiberglass it can be touched up fairly easy. And it gives me a chance to fine tune  the design. That is why feedback is so important. 

• Like 1

I have a lot on my plate and I have neglected to trim the ABS V2 intakes yet. I am still trying to get them shipped by next week. The Carbon Fiber is still waiting to be manufactured and shipped to me and I need to refresh the mold before molding it. I have been putting my energy into the V3 Air Box the last few days and I have made substantial progress. Checkout the V3 thread in "Accessories and Modifications" to see what up. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Those that are waiting for their ABS V2s . No worries I was able to cut out 8 of them today . They all still need to be drilled, sanded, hand fitted, boxed up and shipped,  but I am on it and should be shipping sometime next week. I will PM you when yours ships with tracking info.. :) 

Racked and stacked

STACK OF V2 ROUGH CUT.jpg

V2 ready for finish work.jpg

This is just part of the mess I made. 

READY TO BE RECYCLED.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was outside and just starting to work on the intakes when I came into the house to get some water, and the kitchen was flooded! No big thing as it is now fixed, but it put the intakes back a full day. I am working on them, but not all of them may be done this week. I will do my best to get them out ASAP. Your patience is appreciated. The Carbon Fiber still has not arrived and just as well, because I have still have to get the mold fixed up first. 

• Sad 1

Was able to get in a full days work on the intakes today. Just trying to get caught up after the flood. All that is left to do is test fit each one and touch them up before boxing and shipping. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

I was able to get all the V2 orders packed in their shipping containers, but unfortunately I was too late and FedEx was closed. We have family plans for Sunday so it looks like everything will be shipping on Monday. For those who have ordered an intake I will PM you with the tracking information.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1