Replacement Subwoofer Suggestion?

Hey fellow Edge owners. I have a question/poll for all of you that replaced the stock 8" subwoofer. I've read over quite a few threads on here the last few days and it seems like people really like the Kicker shallow mount subs.

I'm not looking for earth shaking bass that wakes the neighbors, vibrates my license plate, or has the car next to me wondering where it's coming from. I'm just looking for something that sounds better than the stock sub when I'm in the vehicle. Basically, a little louder, a little cleaner, and a little deeper. I may eventually replace/add an amp at some point in the future for it, but for now I don't have the extra funds for an amp and I'd rather not go through the trouble of running wires for a new amp so I'm planning on using the factory HU/amp (for now).

So with that said, assuming I'm using the factory HU/amp, would you guys install the 8" or 10" Kicker shallow mount sub? I realize that if I decide to go larger and get the 10" I'll have to modify the existing Sony sub-box and make a wood ring adapter to mount a 10" sub like fit1446 did:

This is not a problem, I have a friend who has a CNC machine and he can make a wood ring very easily.

My inclination is to go for the 10" because it will have a deeper sound to it. I'm just not sure what it will sound like when run off the factory HU/amp and would it even be able to hit the lower power requirements of the 10" sub?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

hi,

What I was trying to do, was add a in-line low pass filter. I did some frequency sweeps and it seems that everything under 300 Hz is sent to the sub. I think that is where the muddiness comes from. I disconnected the sub just to hear it things sound. It was better, but the all the speakers receive full range as well. I would prefer to cut-off all the speakers at about 150 Hz, maybe less and send that to the Sub. I gave up on the inline filter because of the low impedance sub, like 2 ohms, which makes the LPF design and tolerance quite critical. Basically I have given up doing anything for now.

I assume with after market sub you can set you cross-over which should help.

• 3 months later...