YES! you can put a 10" sub in your factory enclosure.heres how its done.

fit1446

so ive never been a big fan of 8" subs...the difference in sound between an 8" sub and even a 10" is huge to my ears.so options for the edge are as follows...u can accept the system that you have in your edge now....bye a stelth box with JL audio 10..... Build your own fiberglass enclosure......or...you can modify your factory enclosure to accept a 10" shallow mount sub! i know the enclosure is tech to small for even a shallow mount..but not by much. here is how i modified the plastic enclosure step by step. it is in the car and finished and it sounds awesome for a small enclosure...i will eventually build a box but am very pleased with this finished product for now.

first i only found one sub that was close enough in dimensions to even try this. i used a kicker comp R dvc 10 2ohm.

you will need to make a ring out of 3/4" MDF any less than 3/4 the enclosure is to shallow,any more than 3/4 your quarter panel will touch the surround.yes,its that close.

for the kicker the ring dimensions are 9 1/8" inside and 10 1/2" outside,i used a divider caliper i got from harbor freight for like 9 bucks...carbide tip marks well on most any surfaces. jigsaw to cut ring or router if u have one.sand ring smooth corners.

the ring should fit flat along the ridge that travels arond the enclosure.there is a very small piece i had to cut where the mounting arm is on the oposite side..ill post pics of all this..i cut out with a cut off wheel on my dremil..but the ring will cover the hole perfectly and will seal at the end of the mod.

after you cut the piece out from the mounting arm the ring should sit flat all the way around. place the ring under the sub frame and mark the mounting holes for the sub on the ring..

place the ring on the enclosure and drill holes with counter sink bit ..i drilled two and put screws in right away to secure ring.once the ring is secure to enclosure cut out plastic inside the ring..i stayed 1/4 inch away from inside of ring so i had a good lip to seal with silicone on the inside as well as outside ring.

i painted the ring black just because i wanted it to match,,do whatever u like. silicone bead around bottom of ring and secure to enclosure.

tool the silicone inside ring and around outside..

set driver in and if u didnt paint your matks from before will still be there if you paint remark hole and pre drill...mount sub into enclosure and go hook it up! hope this is useful to someone...i havnt seen anyone put a ten in that plastic box ..it isnt permanant in my edge..i will make a fiberglass box eventually but for now..it cost me maybe 25 bucks in material and whatever you pay for your driver,,,enjoy!

anyone want to buy a polk audio 8" dvc?post-38617-0-12051600-1449458495_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-58176800-1449458528_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-70029400-1449458564_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-19974600-1449458597_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-42271500-1449458614_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-62731600-1449458627_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-23253100-1449458640_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I no longer have this in my edge. I built a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in factory location. It holds a 10W6V2. The enclosure I modified was sold to a member of Ford Edge world wide. But to answer your question on sound.. when I modified the plastic enclosure I was using an LC7I and cant remember what amp? Its been a while and Im old? it sounded good not great. 100 times better than the factory set up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

JL Audio makes this "Stealthbox" for the 1st gen Edge. It's basically an enclosure that will take a 10" sub and directly replace the factory enclosure. I wanted one for my 2nd gen Edge, but unfortunately JL Audio has no plans to make one for the gen II. Its a bit expensive at $650 but does save a lot of aggravation.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694376/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html?tp=113

• Like 1

JL Audio makes this "Stealthbox" for the 1st gen Edge. It's basically an enclosure that will take a 10" sub and directly replace the factory enclosure. I wanted one for my 2nd gen Edge, but unfortunately JL Audio has no plans to make one for the gen II. Its a bit expensive at $650 but does save a lot of aggravation.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694376/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html?tp=113

Ironically enough I have one for sale for $600 including the amp. Just never got around to listing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can I just put in a better sub in my 2016 Edge Titanium Sony 12 spkr oem system to improve the sound? I have replaced the center speaker with a JBL and it made a world of difference. Now I just want to clean up the muddy mid range base. I'm looking at either the: 

Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8

Punch Stage 3 shallow 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils 

or

Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8

Punch Stage 3 shallow 8" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils

Thanks

CPTuell

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, fit1446 said:

I no longer have this in my edge. I built a custom fiberglass enclosure that fits in factory location. It holds a 10W6V2. The enclosure I modified was sold to a member of Ford Edge world wide. But to answer your question on sound.. when I modified the plastic enclosure I was using an LC7I and cant remember what amp? Its been a while and Im old? it sounded good not great. 100 times better than the factory set up.

How did you manage to fit a 10w6? You have any pics of the box or is there a thread of your work? I'm excited

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread just wanted to toss out a thanks to the OP for taking the time to document this and say that I think this mod is very much worth doing if you want to upgrade the low end of your Edge's sound system if it was equipped with a stock sub.  I used a Kicker Key 500.1 amp getting its high level input signal from the stock sub leads, a Kicker Comp RT 2-ohm DVC 10" sub wired as 1-ohm load for the amp, and a Kicker remote volume knob.  Had a buddy with a router help me make the ring and enlarge the opening of the enclosure, we used the router to give the enclosure side of the ring a round edge so it would tuck all the way into the curved surface and sanded a chunk out of the ring where the mounting tab (vs. cutting into the tab like the OP).  Stuffed about half a bag of poly fill in the box, mounted it up, and holy crap does it sound good.  Doesn't go crazy low but it's still a ridiculous improvement from stock and gigantic improvement over the same amp with a Comp RT 8" 4-ohm DVC I had upgraded it to previously.  Completely hidden but bumps like crazy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...