pike

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hi all,

My ford edge has an unusual issue.  It first happened about 3 months ago, was at the neighborhood store, came out to the car, and when I turned the ignition, I lost all power. No door locks, no dash/headlights, nothing.  Went home, brought another car up, and the second I hooked up the jumper cables, the headlights turned on, and then the car started.

Ran / started fine for the past 90 or so days. Yesterday, the same thing happened, but in my driveway. This time however, the jump doesnt work. I disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals, and when I re-connect the battery, the lights turn on.  I can turn the key to the first position and the dash lights, and radio all work. But if I continue and turn the key to start, everything goes dead again, and i need to disconnect/reconnect the battery to get the dash lights/etc to come back on.  The only icon that is on when the power is completely dead, is the little security lock in the lower left corner- it flashes about every 3 secs. Not sure if that's the culprit, or if it's something else.  I tried both keys I have for the car. Both have the same effect, - turn the car to start and lose all power? 

Any ideas, or has anyone seen this behavior before?

Thanks in advance

Pike

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

How old is your Edge's battery? It could have gone bad.

#3 OFFLINE   pike

pike

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

The Battery is 2 years old, but shows a 12.5v charge on the multimeter. I left the lights on for about 5 minutes before testing it, and they never got dim.

#4 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,099 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

Could still be a bad battery.  They don't fail like they used to.   Find a shop and test the CCAs - I bet they're really low (300 or less).   Worst case just put a new battery in and see if that fixes it.  It's a good bet and you won't have to worry about it for 2-3 more years.

#5 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,099 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Also - let it sit connected to a jump source for about 10-15 minutes.   Sometimes if the battery is really bad it takes some time before you can jump it.

And if you don't already have one, get a jump box that way you can jump yourself without another car.  And keep it charged and in the car (if you don't replace the battery).

#6 OFFLINE   pike

pike

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Left it connected for 15 this morning to my other car, same thing, turn the ignition to start and everything dies.  Accessory position is fine, dash lights up, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users