Acetone in gas mixture = bettr MGP???

blazin_edge

Has anyne else heard this? I have read a couple things on this and it seems like worth a try. Says 2oz of 100% pure acetone per 10 gallons of gas and get 6+ more mpg. Couple guys soaked carb parts as well as hoses and so forth in acetone with little or no harm, and that was straight aetone. So 2oz per 10 gallons should be no harm. 100% acetone is like 150 octane, therefore you burn more of your mixture in the chambers. Got me thinking and may put the focus to the test.

Kevin

6+ MPG??? Sounds a little to good to be true. That is about a 25% increase in MPG in the Edge. Now 6% increase I can kind of believe.

Another thing, carb parts compared to fuel injected parts are totally different. EFI systems have throttle bodies, fuel injectors, and sensors that tend to go bad when outside elements are added. I have a buddy that added a K&N FIPK system to his Chevy truck and the oil in the K&N filter screwed up a couple sensors, with a $400 repair bill.

But, if you try it, let us know what you find out.

This has become urban legen. Lots of other websites have dicussed this and tried it. From what I have read it adds great benifits to an old engine with dirty injectors and intakes. It seems to help a bunch at first but then the gain stays weather you use acetone or not. It just acks like a good fuel injector cleaner.

• 8 months later...

I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT try this!!!

My boss did this after hearing about it etc... He went up to Norhtern Ontario (Canada) to go Caribou hunting and his truck (which is maintained to the highest levels) broke down.

It ended up being a dead fuel pump which was apparantly full of black stuff. We suspect that it was sediment from disintergrated rubber gaskets etc...

By the time he got his truck towed out of the bush and to a dealership, then paid someone to go get his truck....his hunting trip cost him a small fortune and that ended his use of acetone in vehicles.

Thought I would pass this along.

Higher octane would result in higher fuel consumption. High octane fuel burns slower. Unless you get your vehicle reprogrammed to burn a higher octane fuel you will not see any advantage at all. Acetone is a very strong solvent and I can can foresee what happened to Zeus' boss happening to anyone else who tries acetone as well.

Higher octane would result in higher fuel consumption. High octane fuel burns slower. Unless you get your vehicle reprogrammed to burn a higher octane fuel you will not see any advantage at all. Acetone is a very strong solvent and I can can foresee what happened to Zeus' boss happening to anyone else who tries acetone as well.

Actually, it doesn't *burn* slower, it's just harder to ignite. Once it ignites, it burns the same.