Should there be a noticeable difference between bumper color and body color?

I found this forum a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time reading (great forum by the way). My wife and I are currently looking at replacing my 04 Navigator with something a bit more fuel efficient and have narrowed it down to an MKX. We found an 07 MKX in White Chocolate Tri-coat in great condition. There is however, a minor difference in color. The bumpers are a very slighty different shade from the rest of the vehicle. It is barely noticable but I did pick up on it. Is this because the bumpers are plastic and not steel and therefore the difference is normal or should we be concerned that this was repainted? Can anyone with the same color please confirm if you can notice a difference? Thanks.

I found this forum a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time reading (great forum by the way). My wife and I are currently looking at replacing my 04 Navigator with something a bit more fuel efficient and have narrowed it down to an MKX. We found an 07 MKX in White Chocolate Tri-coat in great condition. There is however, a minor difference in color. The bumpers are a very slighty different shade from the rest of the vehicle. It is barely noticable but I did pick up on it. Is this because the bumpers are plastic and not steel and therefore the difference is normal or should we be concerned that this was repainted? Can anyone with the same color please confirm if you can notice a difference? Thanks.

Hi longhorn. :D There will be slight variations in color for exactly the reason you stated, the difference in the material being painted (plastic versus steel). It is usually more noticeable in lighter colors (like the one you are looking at) and also in metallic paints. Generally, it should not be anything to overly worry about.

It will seem more pronounced according to the viewing angle and light.

I'm not sure if the MKX you are looking at is a new leftover, or a used car, but if it is used the color variation can also be more noticeable if whoever owned it before waxed the steel body panels, but not the bumper covers.

Does this mean that the bumper cover was not repainted? Well, that is impossible to tell without seeing it in person. Have you asked the Dealer/seller if it was repainted? Unlikely that thety would have repainted both bumpers, but not needed to repaint body panels.

Have you though about asking to take it for a test drive and taking it to a collision shop you trust. A trained eye might be able to tell if it was painted.

My educated guess is it is nothing to worry about , since color variation is normal in plastic vs. metal.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I absolutely think there can be a difference. And on my White Sand Tri Coat it is noticeable as well if you are paying attention.

On my car, and many I have seen on the lot and in person, especailly in this color, there is a slight difference. I always believed it was due to paint on metal body versus paint on plastic molding. Seems like the only explanation. OR, the only real other explanation is that the body is painted separate and then they pull pre painted bumpers from the rack and slap them on and there is a minor variation in the paint mixture, enough so that the match is not 100% perfect.

I think it very slight, but it is there and I noticed it from day 1.

despite this I don't really notice any detectable difference in panels, at least on my Redfire Edge. I've looked closely on a number of occassions to try to tell this sort of thing, and look for any uneven gaps, or other minor defects when it was built

from people I have talked to about this issue and similar paint matching issues is that it seems to be more noticeable on a multi stage paint job like that White Sand Tri Coat.. for which I paid extra for go figure.. as opposed to less depth and 'flatter' paint jobs like a black, or red, or putty

I also concur that in certain light and angles it can be obvious while at others, you would never see it

The vehicle is used (13,000 miles on it) and looks great. I'll ask the seller if it was repainted and I'll also have an independant shop look at it just to be sure but from your responses I suspect it is just a normal variation from plastic to steel on lighter colors. Thanks for everyones input.

akirby is correct - Bumper covers are painted at a different location and shipped to the assembly plant color keyed. Slight variations can exist and may persist even after attempts to correct, since the substrait is different. High metallics and multi-coat paints are the toughest to match as light refraction varies enormously dependant on the application - even out of the same can (barrel) of paint.

I wouldn't give it another thought - every one will have a slight variation. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the sake of visually documenting this issue here, here are a pretty clear set of images that show this issue.. look at the first 2 images here - same color I have, same variation I have. To my eye, you can clearly see the the variation in the top 2 photos between body color and bumper color. the first photo you can really see it on the front bumper, the second photo you can really see it on the rear and a little on the front.