Mud Flaps - Guards for 15-17 Sport trim

NoDTMF

On the the Facebook group a member bought mud flaps from China. So I order them, they arrived, here is a sneak peek...I hope to put them on this weekend

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Splash-Guards-Mud-Flaps-Front-Rear-For-Ford-Edge-2015-2017-sport-version/312044726751?hash=item48a750a9df:g:gaUAAOSwoddaWa-R&vxp=mtr

attachicon.gifIMG_4862.JPG

Anxiously looking Fwd to your Eval of the quality, form, fit, function!

• Like 1

I also bought the mud flaps from China. The rear ones fit fine after a little difficulty "muscling" into position since the holes did not quite line up. The front ones would not fit. The holes did not line up properly, and the package only came with 4 screw clips instead of the needed 6. The screw clips that did come in the package were too small to fit over the sheet metal tabs on the fender. I gave up on the fronts and ordered some front flaps from Weather Tech. Although not an exact fit on my 2018 Sport, it is hardly noticeable and installation was a breeze.

• Like 1

I also bought the mud flaps from China. The rear ones fit fine after a little difficulty "muscling" into position since the holes did not quite line up. The front ones would not fit. The holes did not line up properly, and the package only came with 4 screw clips instead of the needed 6. The screw clips that did come in the package were too small to fit over the sheet metal tabs on the fender. I gave up on the fronts and ordered some front flaps from Weather Tech. Although not an exact fit on my 2018 Sport, it is hardly noticeable and installation was a breeze.

FYI: when you go to:

www.weathertech.com/ford/2016/edge

You will receive the following notice:

"No-Drill MudFlaps are not available for your 2016 Ford Edge".

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

I bought the same Chinese mudflaps. They took a few weeks to arrive, but the seller kept me informed on the progress of the order. I will be installing them this weekend, afterwards I will post a review with pics too. I also bought the OEM ford front mud flaps and have had them on since I bought the car.

• Like 3

Bought these a few years ago and have been happy. But, the rear ones have a small rectangle on the inner bottom facing the rear wheel. Just the other day I tapped on it and a bunch of old dried mud came out. I tapped for around 10 minutes and couldn't believe how much mud had snuck in there. I think it was from a trip in northern wisconsin where all the roads were dirt and mud.

• Like 1

Okay,

Today is the today to put on the mud guards. But after installing the front passenger one I stopped. I think it would be wise to put 3M protective tape on so I need to order some. The mud guard holes do not line up. So I drilled new hole and used plastic rivets. Attached are some photos

I left the existing push tabs implace to keep the existing holes plugged.

The very top rivet is in bad place it should be inset more for a better bite.

Attached is a pic of the rivet I used to replace the push tab rivets as the push tabs are too short.

post-45950-0-96930800-1537643388_thumb.jpg

This installed mud guard

post-45950-0-81805100-1537643475_thumb.jpgpost-45950-0-56144700-1537643490_thumb.jpgpost-45950-0-37086000-1537643515_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay,

Today is the today to put on the mud guards. But after installing the front passenger one I stopped. I think it would be wise to put 3M protective tape on so I need to order some. The mud guard holes do not line up. So I drilled new hole and used plastic rivets. Attached are some photos

I left the existing push tabs implace to keep the existing holes plugged.

The very top rivet is in bad place it should be inset more for a better bite.

Attached is a pic of the rivet I used to replace the push tab rivets as the push tabs are too short.

attachicon.gifRivets.JPG

This installed mud guard

attachicon.gifIMG_4879.JPGattachicon.gifEdgeFrontMudGuard1.JPGattachicon.gifEdgeFrontMudGauard2.JPG

Appreciate your efforts but that doesn't qualify as the DIY we were looking Fwd to.

Also its unclear what you did and that appeared to apply for the fronts, what about the rears.

Not trying to bust you out here however there's a few of us counting on your write up so we can make a purchase decsion...;-)

Edited by snmjim

I bought the same Chinese mudflaps. They took a few weeks to arrive, but the seller kept me informed on the progress of the order. I will be installing them this weekend, afterwards I will post a review with pics too. I also bought the OEM ford front mud flaps and have had them on since I bought the car.

Looking Fwd to your write up with Pics & DIY details hopefully...;-)

Appreciate your efforts but that doesn't qualify as the DIY we were looking Fwd to.

Also its unclear what you did and that appeared to apply for the fronts, what about the rears.

Not trying to bust you out here however there's a few of us counting on your write up so we can make a purchase decsion...;-)

I will make a write-up that includes fronts and backs. I may even mount the other one differently as well and show that. But here is the rub, I thought I bought the same ones as a guy on the FB group, but he said his holes lined up!. Mine did not, I will even post those pics as well. So your mileage may very based on what you get!

It is still on my list to add to the H&R Spring install write-up. I'll even add my after install alignment data. (I'll mention that I did drop the complete rear subframe all at once, however it seems I as the only one to do that). I'll also add all the torque specs, those are always handy to have.

Installed my Chinese mud flaps today and I'm surprised to say that they fit very well! Much better than the OEM ones I had on the front before. I like that they are 3D molded and not just flat rally style flaps. I think they look great. Both front and rear match the body profile about as good as could be, no mismatch or gaps at all. I did have to drill one hole in the rear one because the middle hole location was off a bit, but only on one side which was weird. Also, the lower inner portion of the rears doesn't match quite right, but once installed you can't really notice. I'd recommend them though, especially since this is the best option I've been able to find. For the fronts I used the existing plastic push rivets, but they are the slightly longer ones that came with the OEM flaps, so it's probably a good idea to get some longer 1/4" diameter rivets to account for the thickness of the flaps. For the rears I used the small fender liner screws that are already there. I'm not sure if my flaps are different than NoDTMF's, but my install seems to have gone much smoother, took about an hour. I also did it without removing the wheels so that helped. I can take some more pictures if anyone wants to see, just let me know. I can also post a step by step how-to if anyone wants. (sorry my phone rotates the pics 90 degrees, will fix later)

PS, the eBay seller's name was frederic1313 and he kept me up to date with the shipment via email, took about 3 weeks I think.

post-44888-0-34356100-1537738880_thumb.jpg

post-44888-0-31124200-1537738905_thumb.jpg

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

Installed my Chinese mud flaps today and I'm surprised to say that they fit very well! Much better than the OEM ones I had on the front before. I like that they are 3D molded and not just flat rally style flaps. I think they look great. Both front and rear match the body profile about as good as could be, no mismatch or gaps at all. I did have to drill one hole in the rear one because the middle hole location was off a bit, but only on one side which was weird. Also, the lower inner portion of the rears doesn't match quite right, but once installed you can't really notice. I'd recommend them though, especially since this is the best option I've been able to find. For the fronts I used the existing plastic push rivets, but they are the slightly longer ones that came with the OEM flaps, so it's probably a good idea to get some longer 1/4" diameter rivets to account for the thickness of the flaps. For the rears I used the small fender liner screws that are already there. I'm not sure if my flaps are different than NoDTMF's, but my install seems to have gone much smoother, took about an hour. I also did it without removing the wheels so that helped. I can take some more pictures if anyone wants to see, just let me know. I can also post a step by step how-to if anyone wants. (sorry my phone rotates the pics 90 degrees, will fix later)

PS, the eBay seller's name was frederic1313 and he kept me up to date with the shipment via email, took about 3 weeks I think.

That's the same eBay seller that NoDTMF posted.

Did the holes line up?

I would like to see more photos showing the mounting.

When installing the Ford front mud flaps I had to drill one hole on each side, but the plastic rivets are all through existing holes in the mud flaps.

I will make a write-up that includes fronts and backs. I may even mount the other one differently as well and show that. But here is the rub, I thought I bought the same ones as a guy on the FB group, but he said his holes lined up!. Mine did not, I will even post those pics as well. So your mileage may very based on what you get!

It is still on my list to add to the H&R Spring install write-up. I'll even add my after install alignment data. (I'll mention that I did drop the complete rear subframe all at once, however it seems I as the only one to do that). I'll also add all the torque specs, those are always handy to have.

What FB group is that?

Edit: Found the FB group, but not the mud flaps post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/133329400768721/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEdge/

Edited by 1004ron

Hey there Root!

I'd really appreciate that Do It Yourself (DIY) instruction at your earliest opportunity along with a purchase link.

Thanks for running this ball across the goal Brother...????

Edited by snmjim

...some more details about my Chinese mud flaps installation. All of the mounting holes lined up with the original hole locations of the car for the front and back with one exception, the middle hole on the rear left flap was off by about 1/4", so I drilled a new hole in the flap at the proper location. I used the 3 fender liner screws to mount the rears. Here's an inside view of the rear left, if you look closely you can see the misaligned hole just below the middle screw:

Rear Left 02

I may take the rears off and cut away some material from the lower inside area, it doesn't quite match the profile of the fender liner, plus the design has a "cupped" area that will just collect dirt/water. I will post some images of the material I cut away after I do it. The important thing is that the outer profile matches the body panels very well for both front and rear.

For the front, I started with the bottom hole first, remove the push rivet and reinstall thru the hole in the mud flap. The bottom OEM rivet was long enough to account for the added thickness of the flap, but for the 3 in the wheel well, I used slightly longer ones. I did these 3 wheel well rivets next. Last step is to fold the small tab at the top of the flap behind the edge of the fender and secure with one of the metal clips (you can see the clip in this pic if you zoom in a bit):

Front Left 02

There are all kinds of options for plastic rivets on Amazon, I actually like the screw-type and may replace the push rivets with these. Just make sure you get 6mm or 1/4" diameter. I 'd recommend not using plastic pop rivets. I'm sure those would work too, but you have to drill them out to remove them since they are one-time use only. I would use the push or screw type so that you can remove them easily later. I may try these out, they appear to be long enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-961-050-961050-Nylon-Rivet/dp/B002ET131K

They also sell them at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.

Here's the purchase link from the eBay seller I bought the mud flaps from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Splash-Guards-Mud-Flaps-Front-Rear-For-Ford-Edge-2015-2017-sport-version/312044726751?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd09264a3a57a4dafb03b2a4b4abe7385%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D312044726751%26itm%3D312044726751&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A128855df-c00e-11e8-bdff-74dbd1803b58%7Cparentrq%3A0c2f7cbd1660ac3cb4115a67fffb88d8%7Ciid%3A1

Couple more pics:

Front Right 01

Rear Right 01

Rear Left 03

Iso 01

Edited by roots57
  • Like 4

Nice write up:

Some thoughts.

I like the rivets because I have found they hold well and keep things tight. Not sure if that is critical here. Working on BMWs is what turned my on to them. BTW you don't always have to drill, they can also be push through.

On mine guards, the external face my guards do line up well, but not the holes...weird. Maybe I screwed up and I will check next week

Question....any concern about paint rub? Pros/Cons of using the 3M protective Tape?

• Like 1

I suppose using pop rivets would make them not quite as easy to steal, so that's one advantage. As for paint rub, I thought about trying to add some kind of buffer between the mud flaps and the paint, like some thin double sided VHB tape, but thought it would be too difficult to apply during installation. You have to more or less shove them into place, then hold them there while applying the screws/rivets. If adding a double-sided adhesive to the edges of the flaps, you would also need to keep it from sticking on until you were done with all the fasteners. I saw that becoming too difficult to manage. Plus, I figure I can just use some polishing compound to buff out any surface scratches/marks if I ever decide to remove them permanently. Most likely they will remain on the car though.

• Like 1