Horn specifications?

Edgingage

Hello folks:

I've been trying to find info about the specifications for the factory-installed/OEM/stock horn in my SEL. I'm looking specifically for the loudness (decibels, dB) of each. I assume it's 12-volt wired. I looked in the owner's manual and couldn't find mention of a horn; I looked in the Haynes book and same thing. I went to the dealer's part dept, they looked in their computer diagrams, couldn't find it and sent me to the service dept where they did the exact same thing: looked in their computer diagrams and sent me back to the part's dept. lol. I came to my computer, googled it and still can't find that info.

I wonder if any of you would know that info, or would know where I can keep looking to find out how many decibels (dB) the 2011 Edge SEL horn has.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I kept reading the Internet meanwhile and learned there're a low and a high pitch/tone horns. If you folks could also tell me how I can know which one is the high and which one is the low tone/pitch, that'd be great. Thanks again.

Edited by Edgingage

I've never read what the actual loudness of the OEM horn is, but the DOT requirement is 110 db at 10 ft.

Aftermarket horns are usually 135 db but that's usually measured right at the horn opening.

I did read an interesting article where Ford changed the actual sound of the horn depending where on the world the car is sold.

https://www.wheels.ca/news/theres-a-reason-your-car-horn-sounds-wimpy/

Wikipedia states OEM horns are 107 to 109 db.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_horn

As for high/low pitch, not certain what your looking for. Both horns come mounted on a steel bracket. In my experience dating back many years ago, the last time I replaced a horn, each was marked either "high" or "low" on the horn.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Enigma:

Thank you VERY much for your reply. I just literally came back from another unsuccessful visit to the dealer, trying a different guy in the parts dept but the same luck. He also showed me a diagram where both horns are mounted on a bracket, which I had also found out searching the internet (yah, I know, I could have gone under the chassis myself too :)). He also mentioned that, if so, the low or high should be marked on the horn, which coincides with what you just mentioned above (thanks again).

The article you cited is indeed interesting. I did know the far apart horn "behaviour" between up north and down south. It's very true that up north (in Canada, for instance) we hardly use the horn at all, and it's very true that the most common use is when we come out of the store and forgot where we'd parked! (panic button) lol. I haven't seen/heard the horn used to greet neighbours yet, though. I actually tried once myself and got no response. A few days later I ran into the person and asked her if she saw me when I beeped the horn passing her; she said: "No; I just thought it was a creepy guy..." :( Down south (in the Caribbean, for instance) we do use the horn A LOT, almost for anything and everything all the time. Different cultures; different (horn) behaviours. The wiki article is also very interesting (thank you), particularly the history and different characteristics of horns, and the note reading: "the cheaper cars have only one horn." Now I know what else to check during a test drive LOL.

In my Edge, I'm missing the sharp loudness of my '04 Trepid horns, and I was thinking to replace it with a FIAMM 12V 130 dB "Freeway Blaster" High Tone Horn, but from the info and analysis you provided it won't be much different than the stock, at least not significantly louder worthy the replacement.

Thanks again for your time and info.

Edited by Edgingage

I've always been a fan of those small, self-contained air horns (the ones with the compressor about the size of a soda can). They're fairly cheap and produce a lot of sound. You can wire them in parallel to the factory horns to get the best of both. The compressor takes a moment to spool up so you can still get a short toot out of the factory horns so as not to be obnoxious - but leaning on the horn produces the full blast.

• Like 2